America : You Are Being Conned

AMERICA _ YOU ARE BEING CONNED

On the 25th May 2020, George Floyd was killed by a then police officer, Derek Chauvin, who knelt on Mr Floyd´s neck for over 8 minutes.

Following this protests have taken place in over 200 US cities.

Rioting, violent disorder and looting has occurred in many US cities.

12 major US cities have imposed curfews.

15 state governors have called in the National Guard.

13 people have died and 5600 have been arrested.

Why did Derek Chauvin behave this way?

Why did three other officers stand by and do nothing?

Why does police brutality occur?

Why do peaceful protests erupt into violence?

Why does looting and destruction occur in the very communities of those protestors?

Why does social media explode into accusation, counter-accusation, fake allegations and vitriol pitting people against one another?

What is the dark force choking the life out of America?

Why are you, America and indeed the world being conned?

Find out here and stop being conned.

What Other Readers Think

“This article is the best analysis, the most outstanding, comprehensive and accurate one that I have read so far related to the current affairs!
Absolutely brilliant material!” – Claire

“.. and now that I’ve read it:Yep. That’s it in a nutshell.” –  Violetta

“HG, Thank you for this one. I needed your common sense logic today. The lack of controlled environment that is part of the narcissist creation is no longer a secret behind closed doors. It´s spilling onto our streets and can be seen every time you walk outside or turn on the news.” – Mercy

“Loved it, brilliant article!” – Klaudia

“I’ve just read it, it was amazing!” – Witch

“This has enlighten my view of who I questioned of being a narc at work. We have a new chief and she’s got her motives. They are bad. Wow, this is strong information. I will definitely educate this to the ones I trust.” –  Geminimom

110 thoughts on “America : You Are Being Conned

1. Lisa says:

Hi HG, I havent been on for a while although I always read. I dont have the money to pay for this article/post at the moment but just wondered is it anti Trump or not ?

Read the text in the trailer, there lies your answer.

1. Lisa says:

Hi HG, your intro doesnt help ha ha maybe im too stupid. I dont know if I even dare put this comment but im a Trump fan and I can imagine that there are Trump haters amongst your followers, to me the con is the left liberal presentation of everything and the constant persuit of the emotional vote drummed up by a exaggerated imbalance of truth narrative constantly, Im in the UK by the way so cant vote anyway, but I hope Trump stays in, love him or hate him hes got the balls to stand up to situations that other leaders are cowards including Boris. The left point blank refuse to accept facts in my opinion. Shouldnt really get political on comments but we have 2 narcs Boris and Donald and id rather have The Donald right now, Boris needs to get some back bone

2. Bibi says:

Read the article. Excellent analysis. I love your clear, direct manner and thorough explanations. It’s spot on insight.

I was at a protest yesterday, actually. (I happened to be there so I hung around awhile–the cops were pleasant, if you can believe it. I had one pass me and say, ‘How are you today ma’am?’ wherein I merely spoke, ‘Fine, thank you,’ in a perfunctory manner.)

The part about his control being threatened–spot on. It carries over into my own relationships. When I complained to the Mid Ranger about his actions, he did not hear me, but rather that I was threatening his control.

HG, are you ok with my quoting from your article in a YT vid? (I would give a link of course.) I think the part about control is very important. I plan to do a YT vid when I get some time.

Also, I would love to see an article dissecting Obama. I can’t see him treating Michelle badly. Were I to guess, it would be Elitist Greater.

Thank you Bibi. You will need to email me to explain what part you wish to quote so I can make an informed decision.

2. Leigh says:

I too, would love to see an analysis or at the very least, your thoughts on Barack Obama. Is he a Greater Narcissist? And is Michelle Obama an empath or a narcissist too?

3. Violetta says:

Over on DM, Piers Morgan has just compared Meghan Markle, favorably, to Donald Trump.

It is probably triangulation, but it is also evidence that the universe has hit a wormhole.

Too bad that when King Kong vs. Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster becomes real life, we can’t just sit back and eat our popcorn, because the collateral damage is destroying Tokyo.

1. Sweetest Perfection says:

On a more beautiful piece of news, Dwayne Johnson “The Rock”’has addressed Trump about the protests. I so love Dwayne ❤️ and HG said he was an empath so double yeah.

2. Lisa says:

Piers Morgan cant handle being given the silent treatment by 2 narcs Markle and Trump, The Piers Narc is on the shelf it would seem

4. Kiki says:

Woah

I was not referring to anyone in particular as a snowflake but they do exist I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

My point was thousands of Irish are protesting DURING Covid I9 restrictions.
    Protests are fine but not NOW.
    It’s almost like let everyone get on the bandwagon and not think for two seconds that we have people here who have been cocooning for months over the virus.Forget ALL about that , let’s go protest about something else , as us Irish have to copy America, putting our most vulnerable in society at risk and our healthcare workers.
    I apologise if I offended you but honestly I cannot see any logic or care in this .Its selfish and hypocritical towards others in my society all lives matter.

Kiki

1. Kiki says:

I’m posting from Ireland not America

Kiki

2. Sweetest Perfection says:

Kiki, black lives matter doesn’t mean the other lives don’t. It means it is obvious white lives matter, everything has been made to make that clear. It is time to think that other lives are not protected under the same ideal. I worry about the protests spreading the virus a lot. A lot!!! I love Ireland btw, and I hope you stay safe.

1. Kiki says:

I wish you the same
        The whole world is angsty and high on emotions , many now jobless , normal society gone flying out the window since beginning of March .
        I know myself I’m sounding sharper and more forceful with my comments than is normal for me .😞
        I think I have a lot of pent up frustration and maybe even anger due to the whole Covid situation that is showing up unintentionally in my posts.

Kiki

1. KIKI I FEEL THE SAME. DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT YOUR FINE .🇺🇸😷

2. Violetta says:

Kiki:

There’s no question in my mind that the lockdown exacerbated matters. Yes, there’ve been riots in ’65, ’68, the Kent State shootings, LA in the ’80s without pandemic as a factor. However, in addition to the fears of contagion, job loss, and possibly homelessness, people were unable to get together as they usually would for a number of events: no Friday fish fries for Catholics, no Memorial Day cookouts for Americans, no extended family reunion Passover feasts for Jews (the Orthodox got flack for lack of social distancing at funerals in NY), no Easter for Christians, no St. Patrick’s day for anyone who wanted an excuse to booze, Irish or not.

All of the above have their downside: there are people who dread family reunions, the uncle who always manages to start problems, the petty arguments over sports teams or the proper method of grilling out (and Lord help anyone who openly calls them petty), the sermon that takes forever while adults are sitting in their itchy outfits wanting to go home and tuck into that ham, or the kids in even itchier outfits salivating over the prospect of Easter baskets, unless they’ve already hit them and are sitting in Church with a burgeoning tummy ache, trying not to throw up in the pews, the public puking that turns contagious even if you were wise enough to avoid the green beer, etc.

Nevertheless, we often need our rituals even if we complain about them. Humans can be social or antisocial, but they are rarely asocial. It seems we need to interact, whether in a positive or a negative way.

5. Kristin says:

Hg,
    “Snowflake is another manifestation.” Interesting, I would not have thought that. You are always teaching us and I doubt there will be and end to what we can learn from you which is fine with me.

Another reason I liked this article is because it appealed to my truth seeker trait and my need to know the how and why of things, it is how I am wired. I often get in trouble with the narc when I ask things because it obviously threatens his control and is an affront to his “intelligence.” I see normals get a bit frustrated too but I like to educate myself and it satisfies my curiosity.

Understanding narcissism allows you to crack a code which enables you to see so much of the world in a different light and you will find it both fascinating and liberating.

1. Kristin says:

My mother and I just said the exact same thing minutes ago. She respects your work, is so grateful for the help you are giving me and said that she can now spot narcs very quickly. It was your description of Hillary, Obama and Trump that sealed the deal for her.

It is fascinating and liberating, no doubt. You have given me a freedom that I have not had in 30 years. The knowledge you provide is powerful and the key to finding peace and finally escaping.

Good to read and it goes wider than that, many of the mysteries, frustrations and downright “WTF!” about human behaviour becomes apparent.

1. Kristin says:

Truer words have not been spoken. It is quite liberating to finally have the blinders removed especially when we we knew no different.

Precisely.

6. Kristin says:

HG,
    Thank you so much for such an amazing article. It puts everything into perspective and was extremely helpful. I bought one for my mother as well!

You are welcome. Thank you for reading and obtaining a copy for your mother as well.

1. Kristin says:

HG,
        My mother had a chance to read the article and this is what she told me…

“The article was mind blowing but makes perfect sense. Wish I could send it to someone in a position to make changes but they are all narcs themselves.”

She has learned so much from your posts. The other day she was talking about Epstein being a narcissist. I told her that she has really been doing her homework and that HG would be proud! Thank you as always.

Do pass on to your mother “HG approves”.

1. Kristin says:

Will do, thanks HG!

Kristin

It’s wonderful to hear that your mother has been open to investigate HG’s work. It will aid her in better understanding of what is happening around her and add to her already impressive support of your situation. I feel for our parents generation and those before who had very little support or information to draw from. Treasures are those who embrace new concepts to effect change for others when it was largely denied them.

1. lisk says:

I agree. I haven’t turned my mom onto HG yet, but I have told her some of what he said and I think she got some of it. I KNOW she would get more of it if she actually read him. Right place and time will come. Actually this CONNED piece might be just that.

I did turn her on to Non-Violent Communication and she totally got that. I can only buy into certain of its concepts now, as it is not Narc-proof for everyday use.

2. Kristin says:

Thanks NA, beautifully written and I agree wholeheartedly.

7. Geminimom says:

HG,
    When people complain about paying for your work, I see two things about their views. They don’t see someone knowing their own worth, and having respect for that.

I’m not going to include the fact that you have given priceless educational material to us since 2015 and still going strong.

You are one of a kind.

Thank you Geminimom, priceless is accurate

8. Kathleen says:

Thanks HG! Excellent-Many times I am telling my friends “well they’re a narcissist I mean look at how they XYZ” – People want to say there are other reasons… But if you want to get to the core of the matter often the cause is some sort of personality disorder. Especially narcissism which is all about control. Racism is definitely about control! And fear… Of losing control. Your writings are enlightening and I hope they are spread far and wide.
    PS- When is the next Megan Markel installment coming out?? Can’t wait

Correct.

I have not decided yet, I need to spin HG´s Magic Wheel of Remuneration! Look, watch it spin, will it be $50, $5, $20 or free, round and round the magic wheel goes, where will it stop? Nobody knows!

9. Michelle says:

I think your analysis is dead on. One of my first thoughts when I saw the photo ( as an empath I can’t stomach the video) was that this guy was a narcissist. To be able to commit such a heinous act while being filmed displays all of the traits I’ve been reading about here for years. In my observation, narcissists are drawn to careers that give them some measure of unchecked power over others. I’m a teacher, and when I first started attending professional development conferences after leaving university, I was shocked at how much these conferences pushed the idea of self-reflection, that we need to actually examine if what we did really worked. I thought that was obvious and wondered why we had to keep saying it over and over. Of course by now the answer is apparent — many teachers are narcissists who have no self-reflection and will not participate in such an activity unless it adds to their outward appearance of professionalism. In their classrooms, they are God, with no one there to check them. I’ve actually struggled with teaching because I can’t make decisions about other people with that kind of conviction. That police could be even worse doesn’t come as any surprise to me.

I’m American and an independent voter. One of the more fascinating aspects of this event has been watching my more left-leaning friends succumb to groupthink as well. Suddenly the small business owners losing their livelihoods in the riots have become non-entities, not humans worthy of our consideration. They are acceptable collateral damage for the cause, with this mentality propped up by the false binary that you either care about what happened to George Floyd or care about the destruction of property but you can’t possibly REALLY care about both. And people who cared deeply about the elderly who might lose their lives to COVID-19 are out gathering in crowds as if the pandemic were entirely forgotten.

I’ve gradually come around to believe that almost every movement in history had a narcissist at its head. Narcissists act with the utter conviction and certainty that most of us crave in our lives, but naturally unsure empaths can’t attain this on our own. And therein lies the danger — the moment we put aside our own judgment and accept that of another, we enter the world created by the narcissist and buy into this alternate reality. People who have done this are then capable of anything.

Very well articulated, Michelle, HG approves.

10. L. Carwell says:

Thank you, HG. I thoroughly enjoyed yet am not surprised by what the article revealed. The bigger question is:
    “what now?”
    How do we stop the eruptions of violence? How do we rebuild trust between the authorities and the citizens?
    I realize there is no simple answer.
    I did, however, share the article link and encouraged others to read it.

Thank you LC and also for sharing the article link and encouraging others to read it. The question is indeed “what now” and there will be a companion piece examining this question through the lens of narcissism.

11. Pingback: America : You Are Being Conned ⋆ NarcTopia
  12. Presque Vu says:

Bravo HG. Excellent dissection of Narcism and behaviours, the whys, the causes and the effects. I particularly liked the references to Hitler and other corrupt leader regimes. Real life examples are easier to grasp if we have something to compare and contrast it to.

There is an undercurrent of racism though no matter how we see Narcissism interact with that and I’ll explain.

Many psychologists believe in ‘implicit bias’ and you can take the Harvard test ‘Implicit Association Test’ IAT.

On the race test, most people show some kind of pro-white, anti-black bias. They are speedier connecting black faces to bad concepts than white faces. (Black people are not immune to this phenomenon themselves.)

The US has a long history of racism and it’s still evident today. I see and hear your argument that it’s because of Narcissism but I also personally believe a link to implicit biases for eg white police officers and black suspects. We may think we are not racist but do the test, a lot of people who have (over 18 million) are shocked at their own results.

I value the narc discussion and DO believe Narcissism caused this particular horrific incident which I’m still trying to digest because it’s hit me hard especially having a son who is multiracial and has been affected personally by stop and searches for no reason what so ever other than the colour of his skin. My emotional thinking has truly spiked!

I do think narcissism and racialism can go hand in hand. I don’t necessarily agree with America and everyone else has been conned. I say this respectfully that my opinion very much supports this article BUT I also believe there is racism too. Very much so.

Thought provoking and intelligent dissection and discussion on Narcissism. Thank you for writing it HG.

You are welcome. The implicit bias you refer to is what affects a lot of discrimination without people realising and when they are told that they will often be prejudicial without realising it, they cannot accept that. Too many people think discrimination is the knuckle-dragging, sieg heil saluting, obvious variety. Most of it is not.

1. Presque Vu says:

Understood.
        Like narcissism, racism is also unaware in certain individuals, majority of individuals in fact, so deeply ingrained it’s not outwardly recognised just like narcissism.

The difference in this case is although there is no doubt that it was black suspect versus white cops and that implicit bias kicks in. What killed George Floyd was a narcissist in action. It had to have been because no decent human empathic or even normal being under the influence of implicit bias could take another mans life intentionally as he did.

And herd mentality. You got that spot on to explain the others!
        Such a tragedy!!

2. lisk says:

I wonder how much of that supposed implicit bias that some psychologists believe in is created by our over-saturation of media images in all sorts of media.

Ultimately, we are mass-mediated and now mass-social-mediated.

Tune out and turn off and get to the real bottom of you? How many people are willing to do that? Probably not many. A Creature or creature might be lurking there.

1. Sweetest Perfection says:

All forms of discrimination are socially constructed, Lisk. What is important is to recognize when we are being biased in order to act against it. I have noticed many white people react defensively when being told they said something racist.”I’m not racist!” they immediately say. Maybe you are not intending to be, but an action you did or something you uttered could have racist overtones. We all can be racist implicitly or inadvertently, the important thing is to grow, learn, and attack our implicit biases. A book that I have found really helpful for my white friends is White Fragility. I strongly recommend it to learn about inequality, race constructions, and ways to move forward in a loving, inclusive environment without thinking the acknowledgment of inequalities in our societies immediately means we are targeted as the perpetrators of such inequalities.

1. Sweetest Perfection says:

PS: Read White Fragility next to HG’s books on narcissism and you will
          become the super weaponized unbiased Empath!!!!

1. lisk says:

I do not want to be a SuperEmpath.

2. lisk says:

Thing is, it does not concern me how I am labeled, or mislabeled.

I am certainly not interested In attacking labels that other people’s biases place on me.

Ultimately, it is not my job to soothe anyone else’s feelings or pain. Been there done that with victim NarcX.

Hmmm…this makes me see now how many mid-rangers are in the midst of the protests and the media.

Thank you for guiding me to this revelation, SP.

1. Sweetest Perfection says:

Lisk, it was not a recommendation to become a super empath. It was a recommendation to understand why people are protesting -the peaceful ones, not the ones that are taking advantage to cause destruction-. It’s OK, forget it. Saying the protests are full of MRNs is an easy way to justify that they inconvenience you. The fact the problems don’t affect a particular person doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I am not labeling you at all, I don’t know where that came from, but I think it was passive aggressive to thank me for letting you see how many MRNs there are in the protests. I am definitely not one of them if that’s what you meant.

2. lisk says:

I won’t forget your assumption that I do not already understand.

Please note that you are misreading my statement about MRNs.

3. Sweetest Perfection says:

I get a lot of bad feelings from some of your comments and from Kiki and it makes me very uncomfortable so I will not insist in this thread if you don’t mind. The “I won’t forget” is almost vindictive.

4. lisk says:

You will see things as you wish. You will process your bad feelings as you wish.

As I mentioned before, it is not my job to make anyone feel better, just as it is not anyone else’s job to be responsible for my feelings.

If you read our interchange, you might see that my “I won’t forget” is a response to your telling me to “forget it.” I am only letting you know that I decide, just like you do within your own person, what I will and will not forget.

5. Sweetest Perfection says:

It’s not my bad feelings, it’s the feelings I get from some interactions in the blog. I can’t turn that down, unfortunately. I sent a prior comment which explains that I basically think we both have misunderstood each other and to me that’s something that can be solved. “Forget it” was a made expression like “nevermind,” not a command to do as I wish.

6. lisk says:

Thanks for clarifying.

7. Renarde says:

SP

Agreed.

8. mommypino says:

Hi SP, You are definitely NOT a Mid Ranger. You and lisk both have Empath Detector results to prove that you’re both empaths.

I just want to add my observation and I hope that I offend anyone. I honestly didn’t think that lisk and Kiki were referring to you and I didn’t read their statements as saying that the protests are full of Mid Rangers. Lisk said ‘many Mid Rangers are in the midst of the protests and media. Many does not mean it’s full or all of them. I tend to agree with that and a book was even published that says being in the media (radio/tv) is the top 3 job that psychopaths are attracted to. Being a police enforcer is only top 7 so more psychopaths are actually attracted to work as a media personality.

I can understand what lisk and Kiki are saying. I honestly believe that a lot of POC police or experts are Mid Rangers trying to control how everyone should behave. I don’t understand how someone who doesn’t carry malice should be called racist just because the way they acted or said something does not align with the point of view of these arbiters or racial appropriateness. I will never allow people to make me feel that I am walking on eggshells so that I can comply to what they deem to be appropriate or not. If we start calling everybody racist then it’s going to lose its real meaning.

9. mommypino says:

Oh shoot I had a typo, I meant to say I hope I DON’T offend anyone. And no it wasn’t a Freudian slip lol.

10. Sweetest Perfection says:

I saw the typo and it made me laugh haha! MP, fair enough. But I didn’t call anyone racist. I was explaining the concept of implicit bias, which was brought out intelligently by Presque Vu, suggesting a book that I MYSELF read this year and found super enlightening. I didn’t call anybody here racist. My husband suggested this book to me, I didn’t turn against him thinking he saw me as racist. I feel grateful for the suggestion, even though I’m not white I wanted to learn.

11. mommypino says:

Hi SP, I totally didn’t think that you called anyone a racist. I was referring about my impression on what the book was saying. I am having a hard time understanding how an action I did or something I uttered could have racist overtones and it feels like the people who wrote the book or promote these ideas are kind of policing us and it feels constricting especially since we have dealt with narcissists who tried to control us. But I totally know that you shared the book with the best intention. The same intention when I share HG’s works to people. It was a book that gave you meaningful perspectives and you just wanted to share it.

12. Sweetest Perfection says:

Reviews of books are usually done after reading them, never before.

13. Sweetest Perfection says:

MP, you actually made a good comparison by referring to HG’s books. This is not a policing book, it’s a book for self-discovery and understanding of yourself in relation to others. I also mentioned to read it together with HG’s books because in a way I consider it poor taste to recommend one author in front of another. We are all here thanks to HG’s books, that’s evident.

14. mommypino says:

Oh and I want to add that you shared the book because it was related to what Presque Vu brought up.

15. Sweetest Perfection says:

Yes, thanks MP. And because it’s a good book too! Haha

16. lisk says:

Hi mp,

Thank you for stepping in, as my empathy cup (or whatever it’s called) is super-low right now. You make an excellent mediator and you have spoken eloquently here in your post.

“I will never allow people to make me feel that I am walking on eggshells so that I can comply to what they deem to be appropriate or not.”

Perfectly put. That is basically my bottom line. NOBODY, narcissist or empath, appreciates being told what to do or how to think, especially by people who assume/prejudge others’ experiences or thoughts. I would think we can all agree on that aspect of things.

17. mommypino says:

Thank you lisk. And you’re welcome! I agree, that was my thought about the book as well and also regarding the general society currently.

18. mommypino says:

And I also want to add SP that I know that you are deeply affected by what is happening to our society and your protesting is coming from a good place, your heart that wants to help uplift other people who are suffering. ❤️

19. Sweetest Perfection says:

Thank you, MP. You know we have totally divergent political ideas, and nonetheless, we get along and respect each other. I know you are also deeply affected by these murders and I appreciate your defense knowing as you know that I’m not a fan of our president. And so what. People have different ideas. But they are still human and deserve to live. Oh what a wonderful opportunity to cite Depeche Mode! “People are people / so why should it be / you and I should get along so awfully?”

20. mommypino says:

Thank you SP. That’s a lovely quote from Depeche Mode. We certainly don’t need to agree in politics to get along and respect each other. There are many other things that we can agree with!

21. Kiki says:

Well said Lisk .

A lot of protesters here are what we call SNOWFLAKES.

I’m in Ireland .
            They carry around this severe victim mentality yet do not consider the implications of their own actions on others.

We have been in a lockdown phase like many others , lost jobs ,
            and we are one of the slowest countries to re open .

Yet these idiots are protesting with ZERO regard for our health workers , Zero regard for the health of our most vulnerable and don’t care that we are restricted to 5km of our homes .Large crowds are supposedly not allowed .
            Our government are turning a blind eye as our Leader is another Snowflake.

Kiki

Snowflake is another manifestation.

23. Sweetest Perfection says:

Kiki, I’m sharing books and poetry with everyone here. I see what you are sharing. If that’s the case, I prefer to be what you call a snowflake and an idiot than the superior bully you sound like.

24. Sweetest Perfection says:

Kiki, I apologize. I sent a comment in an impulsive manner in response to your insults and I shouldn’t have acted so quickly. I understand and share the fear you expressed of big gatherings; I myself get extremely nervous when people get close to me while walking the dog or running because I do believe in social distancing in this pandemic. In America, the president himself is encouraging people to break lockdown and reopen businesses, going against the recommendations of individual governors in every state that are trying to make sensible and cautions decisions to stop spreading the virus. So it’s not just what you call snowflakes that represent a menace to public health. I got offended by your insults because I believe the same concern could have been expressed without calling people names but then I made the same mistake and called you a bully, and I am sorry. Please, accept my apology.

25. Renarde says:

lisk

I’m curious. How can you not have been here for as long as you have but not have grasped the fundemental reality that ALL of society is run by the Middle Rangers?

Tis a strange thing. I trust you are intelligent?

Except it is not run by Mid Rangers.

27. Renarde says:

Hg

I understand. It’s the Greaters. I should have been more precise.

28. lisk says:

I don’t know if I’m intelligent or not, but I try not to grasp the ungraspable.

29. Renarde says:

lisk

Then you have already limited yourself.

30. lisk says:

I’m not so sure about that. HG confirmed that MRNs do not run the world.

31. Witch says:

SP
            I agree with your comments about the protestors. And I’m looking forward to HG’s follow up article which will touch on this subject.
            Did change in governance in policy ever occur by being “peaceful” and “considering all sides?”
            Probably not.
            Most likely it occurs when certain groups of people become difficult to control and the only way to control them was by giving them some rights and then changing the tactic of asserting control.
            Every catalyst for social change started with rebellion, a war or a riot … women’s rights, LGBT rights, rights for world majority people, all the rights that some people now take for granted.

Who do you think was behind most the catalysts for social change?

33. lisk says:

RE: It didn’t happen by holding hands, singing Kum bah yah and considering everyone’s point of views.

That is for sure.

34. Sweetest Perfection says:

Kum bah yah! Hahahahaha.

35. Sweetest Perfection says:

Witch, on point. I don’t believe in violence, and the funniest part of the whole story is that the protests are against police brutality against black people, and they are being met with more violence. Some of the guys destroying property and stealing were even white. It’s easy to say you understand when you are sitting in your privileged social position just watching what happens and complaining these annoying protesters are causing too much trouble. That’s not understanding. That’s turning a blind eye based on privilege. Many of us here wouldn’t even be free to type in a phone or computer now had women not started a revolution to have freedom and a more active role in their own lives without depending on the permission of a husband, brother, or father. And they were also called all kinds of names and considered annoying and disruptive. Narcs are everywhere and chaos and violence are caused by those who look to control, which doesn’t exclude the existence of biases against people that are not similar to us. And I take the side of going against anything that would exclude, humiliate, and diminish any human being. This doesn’t mean a) that I’m against the police as an institution or believe all cops are racist, I’m against those who use their power to kill based on bias b) that I’m against social distancing in this pandemic; I’m freaked out by the virus, however, Trump’s ideas only aggravate my fear of catching it and c) that I am an idiot or an idealist. I’m neither one.

36. Witch says:

@
            HG,
            Narcissists like you said, but it is what it is. Unfortunately we have to live among your kind and your kind have to live among us. That’s just the reality we are dealing with. I would much rather have human rights and have change occur, than not.

Indeed and as you know, narcissists can cause and create many “good” outcomes as well as the “bad” ones.

38. lisk says:

And “human rights” themselves are a construct, so changeable and revise-able depending upon regime.

Correct. There is a majority perception as to what they should be, but significant deviations in respect of adherence and upholding the same, naturally because of the constant need for control by the principal actors.

40. Violetta says:

Good time to read MLK’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.” He not only goes over the steps people must go through before engaging in non-violent protest, but he also points out what happens if people are denied that outlet, which in his time was Militant Black Nationalism & Separatism. As a 4th generation Christian pastor, he would have been particularly horrified by that alternative, which was backed by the Black Muslims (later Nation of Islam).

Watts, the LA riots of the ’90s, and now this were after he died, but he knew what was coming.

(Mind you, he might have been one of HG’s kind, given the stories about his private life, but this is one case in which the outcome is “good” by non-narc standards: as bad as things are now, they are a hell of a lot better than they were in the days of sitting in the back of the bus, segregated schools, lunch counters, and bathrooms, and voting rights that existed only on paper in some states.)

41. lisk says:

MLK was DEF HG’s kind.

42. Violetta says:

Like any movement, there will be sincere people and there will be narcs. In my home town of Philly, the sincere people were protesting at City Hall in Center City; the opportunists were looting King of Prussia Mall, which is over an hour away.

43. lisk says:

There will also be narcs who think they are being sincere, especially in universities in your home town.

44. Sweetest Perfection says:

Universities are full of narcs! But Violetta and I are not one of them so there are empaths too. I can’t find your comment to reply on the living without fear sentence, I read it and it went away so I’ll say it here: true, the complete sentence should mean without fear of being killed by a police officer for having a dark skin. Though it would be awesome to live without any fear in general! I know who you are thinking of haha…

45. Violetta says:

Sweet P:

That was their first big hit here, and I was never a huge fan of it. I’ve thought about why, since I liked some of their later work.

Was it that the lyrics seemed simplistic and rather pat? They are more complex than the Beatles’ masterpiece, “Why Don’t We Do it in the Road.”

2/3 of the song is industrial noise. Then “I don’t understand/ what makes a man” is melodic. In hindsight, I think they were suiting form to function, with the noise of hate contrasting with the potential of melody, but at the time, I just thought it was 1/3 of a good song. Took me a while before I wanted to hear anything else from them.

Oh dear, that might be heresy here….

Pass the earplugs if you’re done with them, Bubbles.

46. Sweetest Perfection says:

I just saw your comment on the song, Violetta. One of my favorite songs is “New Life,” their second single. I don’t think it was played in the USA. The concept of using synthesizer and a new way of composing is what makes it special but not really the complexity of it. Not all art needs to be technically complex to be appreciated. Some of it is because the perspective reveals unsuspected angles, and some of it just because it causes a rupture in traditional forms as is DM’s music at the time. Ultimately it’s also the aesthetic value you add to it and in our case, the emotional one is very strong too. Many DM’s songs remind me of specific moments and people and make me feel a wide range of different things, but never negative ones. I found it really funny when I first joined the blog that HG constantly made allusions to the band in his articles.

47. Witch says:

@HG
            Over the years since learning more about your kind I’ve become less and less idealistic and much more pragmatic.
            If you became prime minster you would probably go down in history as the best prime minster we have ever had. Would that be such a bad thing considering we are highly likely to get shitter narc prime minster?
            This has made me think about other rulers such as Gaddafi. I know very little about the man but I’ve read some conspiracy theories about the alleged real reasons America wanted him out of the way, mainly due to him being anti-western influence on Africa.
            This has made me want to research his life more. No doubt a narcissist but probably not a useless narcissist.

3. Sweetest Perfection says:

Lisk, because of MP I went back to read my comment to you. This part could be misleading and I see it now: “Maybe you are not intending to be, but an action you did or something you uttered could have racist overtones. We all can be racist implicitly or inadvertently, the important thing is to grow, learn, and attack our implicit biases.” The “you” was a general you. It wasn’t addressed to YOU. If I caused you pain by seeming to call you racist please forgive me. I was just talking about the concept and how it works, that was a general example about everybody. The book is actually pretty good for anyone including myself.

1. lisk says:

I understand that, Sweetest Perfection. I did not think that you called me anything at all.

I was responding as an individual member of the general you to whom you were speaking.

My main concern in all this is that some people are making assumptions about what other people think and that they somehow should educate themselves, when no one really knows who each of us really is or what we’ve experienced or even what we’ve read now or in the past.

It is the general assumptions up the general wazoo that I am responding to.

2. Sweetest Perfection says:

I didn’t make a general assumption. I saw you responded to Presque Vu and wanted to add some explanation on implicit bias -which I find really hard to identify- and recommend a book that has helped me enormously in understanding that and other concepts. I don’t know you and don’t know your knowledge of it, I thought it would be a good reading suggestion to also help us put ourselves in the shoes of the protesters -the genuine ones that protest for their right to live without fear-. It is an altruistic tendency I have -mixed with my professional habit- to embark on sharing readings that I found enrich my experience as a human being. When I shared the poem by Langston Hughes last night there was a moment of hesitation because I thought I was gonna be perceived as a fluffy idiot with high ET. But some other commenter that I don’t know yet replied with another cite by the same author, and that brought tears of joy to my eyes, and it was enough to feel it was worth the sharing.

3. lisk says:

That’s fine. If something like that is in direct response to my post I will most likely respond accordingly or just ignore.

4. lisk says:

P.S. Can you name one single person who has the “right to live without fear?”

I know no one who has that right.

I do know at least one person who has the ability, however.

5. Sweetest Perfection says:

I was reflecting on your question and would like to expand my answer. I only mentioned it was the fear of being killed by a police officer because of your skin color; and then I remembered Ahmaud Arbery. And Trayvon Martin. And Christian Cooper. And so many others, so I’ll just say it’s the fear of getting killed (not even of getting out and then killed, as Botham Jean was killed in his own home) by ANYONE just because you have a different skin color.

6. Sweetest Perfection says:

Christian Cooper was not killed but was falsely accused based on the fact he was a vulnerable target for being black.

7. lisk says:

A right not to fear ANYTHING is still not a right.

8. Sweetest Perfection says:

I never said not to fear anything. I’ll be crystal clear here so that you don’t misread me: people of color have the right to be able to do the same daily activities White people do without fear of being killed. Ahmaud Arbery was jogging, for god’s sake!!! Jogging!!

9. lisk says:

I don’t misread you. I see your assumptions loud and clear.

10. Sweetest Perfection says:

Lisk, I’m gonna do what I should have done long ago: leave my conversation with you, for two reasons: one, that you can’t talk without being offensive. And two, because I’m sure HG is sick of this thread already. Bye.

11. Kiki says:

Hi SM

It is all in the way we perceive things , could , maybe , might be are all perspective and subjective.
            It depends on the lens you look through.

I did not insult you , you perceived my comment as insulting towards you.
            Nowhere did I mention you or any other poster.
            I simply putting forth an opinion and observation from my own country.

I do feel there are more people now who are offended by their own shadow with a strong sense of self entitlement and a feeling that the world owes them , hence my use of the term snowflakes .
            This term has nothing to do with racism or ethnicity.

It is a term just like being a narcissist or Empath .

Kiki

2. Presque Vu says:

100% lisk for sure!!
        I’m guilty myself!

I remember writing a 4000 word essay on youth culture and links to criminality and delinquent behaviours in our communities at University. At the time I read various articles to get a good feel for the way various things were reported for example broadsheets versus tabloid press.
        I was writing about hooded black youths standing on street corners and how their behaviour could be seen as anti-social by some. Whilst writing that essay, my son wore a hoodie and hung about with his mates on street corners/parks etc and he and his friends were good boys!!
        The tabloids create fear and discrimination through inaccurate reporting and use of language. Everything is sensationalised, and as we know, bad news sells.
        The broadsheets were by far more accurate, analytical and from an investigative approach as opposed to scare mongering.
        But ever since then it’s opened my eyes, ears and thirst for learning to see the bigger picture.

But you are spot on lisk regarding social and mass media contributing to implicit bias ideals. The fact you question it all is great, we all should be.

3. Caity says:

Well, I just took the test and respectfully call bullshit. About midway through, accounting for the ‘questions’ I figured out it had to be the speed of answering that would somehow magically ascertain if I was a racist or not. And adjusted accordingly although to be honest, I’d already seen the pattern as it emerged. Speed of answer does not make one a racist. If the questions are identical, offered the same way with the only alteration obvious to the right or left, it makes one able to move more quickly through the second half (unless one adjusts as I did). I expected a more refined ‘task’, particularly because of where this originated.

Reaction time does not make one a racist. It only proves the ability to learn. Feeding a chicken grain when it pecks the answer desired by a trainer, does not make that chicken as smart as a Harvard graduate. Or maybe, in this instance, it does.

Great article HG, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it highlighted several points you’ve made briefly elsewhere. Excellent, thank you for offering.

I am pleased you enjoyed it.

2. lisk says:

LOL, Caity.

I love how you cut right through the test. Tests are biased, ultimately, as well.

I mean, isn’t that what people are complaining about with standardized testing? Isn’t that why California is dropping standardized testing because they are inherently biased against certain students?

But this biased test is no surprise given that it is coming from Harvard.

1. lisk says:

I take a little bit of that back re: Harvard. I appreciate its president’s statement on these recent events.

Shut Up!