The Crying Game – Part One

THE CRYING GAMEPART ONE

Tears. One might consider them the ultimate embodiment of emotion. Tears appear when you have experienced some kind of extreme emotion. I know because I have watched on so many occasions as I have sought to understand the circumstances in which somebody cries and why it is that they do so. I understand that when tears appear, whether it is a welling-up in the eyes, the single full teardrop which slides down a cheek or the cascading waterfall which leaves the eyes red-rimmed and blurry, it is as a consequence of you experiencing emotion in a huge dosage. What I had to learn was which emotions were associated with the emission of water from the eyes. The first emotion that presented itself for my understanding as to how it caused tears was pain. I remembered as a child that my younger brother was somewhat accident prone. If there was tree branch he would fall off it, if there was a wall,he would fall off it and once he even managed to “fall” off a rug and sprain his ankle. The cuts and bruises would have him howling in pain as he lay there sobbing or limped away tears trickling down his face in search of our father. I saw how a physical injury such as a scraped leg or bruised forearm would bring forth a flood of tears. My younger brother would await the attendance of my concerned father, usually brought to the scene by my always caring sister and his tears would be wiped away with a large white handkerchief as consolation and soothing words were administered. I was not accident prone and therefore rarely susceptible to physical injury save the deliberate. I do recall once catching my hand on the edge of the grill and instantly a sore red weal appeared. I presented myself to my nearby mother as I felt the tears forming in my eyes.

“No tears HG,” she announced firmly, “tears show fears, be fearless,” she instructed me as she cast a cursory glance over my injury and directed me to the cold water tap. Tears came from physical hurt but it was not to be for me.

Around the same time I also understood that tears were generated by sadness and it was sister who exhibited this the most. I would find her in one of her many hiding places (I knew them well as I used them myself) and she would be quietly crying.I would ask her why she was crying because I wanted to know. Thinking back, I never felt anything other than curiousity when I saw her with puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks.

“Why are you crying Rachael?” I would ask.

“Mother shouted at me because I hadn’t tidied my room, she said I was a bad and dirty girl and I don’t like her saying that to me, it upsets me.”

I would nod in understanding and walk away, leaving her alone. She was instructive in showing me that sadness caused tears. Her rabbit escaped from its hutch and went missing so she cried because she missed it. She missed a birthday party because she was ill so she cried because she was sad that she could not play with the other children. If she watched something on television she would often be in tears as she felt bad for the starving children in Africa or the victims of some earthquake. She would cry and ask my father why God did these things and he would do his best to comfort her and explain. He was always good at finding an explanation, but he was a very bright man, well-read and with a keen hunger for knowledge which he invariably retained. There was at least something that I had inherited from him then. I would watch in fascination as Rachael would cry and he would scoop her up and make gentle noises to try to soothe her. Just as he laid a gentle hand on my sobbing injured brother, I saw how this demonstration of tears, be it through physical or emotional hurt engendered sympathy and caring from him. He never rejected them, he never barked at them to deal with it or get on with it, but he would always pander to their upset until he had chased it away and made them feel better. It always got them attention from him, more than I ever did. All they had to do was cry and the sympathy would flow with the attendant attention. I learned that quickly enough.

I, by contrast,never recall feeling sad. I have tried and the good doctors have asked me about this on numerous occasions.

“How did you feel when something bad happened to you?” Dr E would ask.

“What do you mean by bad?” I often have to help him provide some context to his questions. I thought he would have learned by now.

“If you did something wrong for example.”

“I was well-behaved as I child. I did as I was told. I saw what happened if I did not.”

“I see, did your parents ever tell you off?”

“Yes.”

“How did you feel then?”

“Resentful, angry, determined,” I answered quickly.

“Sad?”

“No.”

“Upset?”

“No.”

“How about after the incident?”

I glared at Dr E as I did not like him springing that on me without adequate warning. At least he had remembered to refer to it by the label I required.I remained silent.

“Did you not feel sad after that?”

“No.”

“How did you feel?”

I paused. I did not want to revisit this but I knew he would not stop until he had extracted something from me. He would prod and probe in order to fulfil his selfish desire to know how I felt. I felt empty and I felt angry but I had realised by now that if I told him this he would only go on even longer. The truth would not serve me here. I remained still and silent.

“How did you feel?”

I noticed his tone had become gentler, more searching.

I then thought of all the injustices that I had ever suffered, the hurt that had been meted out against me, the denial of my brilliance, the shunning of my achievements, the lack of recognition when I deserved so much more. I focused on the times when I had been ignored by the foolish, the fact that I am consigned to an unending quest for fuel. I brought to the fore the hurt that I keep under control except for moments such as this and I banished the room and Dr E from my mind as I allowed the floodgates to open. The desired effect eventually came, although it took some time and I eventually felt the welling in my eyes.I blinked theatrically to ensure that Dr E noticed and finally I felt a tear, only a small one though, squeeze out and make its way beneath my eye. I brushed at my other eye, features set in melancholy and still I said nothing. Dr E remained quiet as well as I stared at the floor willing another tear to join the first and thankfully it too finally came and rolled downward, a larger one this time which landed on my left thigh. He will have seen that. I did not look at him but concentrated on the floor still, summoning up all of the hurt I could muster in the hope of maintaining this appearance.

“I can see it is troubling you, perhaps we should move on. We can revisit this at a later time,” he said softly.

I nodded.

Those early observations of how the crying game worked had paid off once again.

53 thoughts on “The Crying Game – Part One

1. mommypino says:

I have never seen my matrinarc cry. I thought that it was because she was a really strong person. Me in the other hand, is a cry baby. I cry all the time. I cry when I’m happy. I cry when I’m sad. It’s so embarrassing. My husband loves to watch me whenever a sad scene from a movie is coming so that he can laugh at me for crying. I even cried before my friend did when she was telling me about her divorce. I was embarrassed because she was the one going through the divorce and I cried while she was telling me about it and seeing me cry made her cry too. I honestly wish that I don’t cry as much as I do. I laugh easily. In fact I am such a ham most of the time. It is something that I am envious of the narcs that I know. They usually look great in pictures because they don’t laugh uncontrollably like I do.

2. narc affair says:

Hi Hg… Im curious why you never went to your dad for comfort and instead chose your mother? Youd mentioned he didnt protect you like the other siblings. Did that have to do with the fact you were your mothers golden child? Maybe he resented you for that? Not to say that would be ok but im wondering if maybe thats why you felt this difference. I know in my mum and brothers case she puts him even above her husband. My stepdads last marriage was an emotionally and physically abusive one and it fits seeing victims are drawn to familiarity. He chose another abusive woman. Hes so brainwashed he has also been drawn into idolyzing my brother and drawing traits from him to mimic. He wants to be him bc my brother is my mothers number one love. In my case its the opposite its created resentment towards my brother. I want nothing to do with that dynamic between him and my mother.
    I just wonder why your dad protected the other two and not you?
    Your mother is a true narcissist and you hurting yourself would be more of an annoyance than a concern. Its sad but as you only know too well true 🙁

3. Dr. Harleen Quinzel PsyD. says:

Crying is so cathartic.

I cry like all the time. If I didn’t… I would explode.

I don’t know how you don’t go insane bottling all those things up and shoving them down inside of you.

What I find interesting is how when you concentrated and thought of every single thing that someone did to you that hurt you … you were able to shed a tear.

I find that I can relate to your thoughts and feelings on various matters.

I often turn hurt and sadness into anger. There is a lot of power in anger. It doesn’t make me feel so helpless. You can live off of anger and it can motivate you. Of course when it is all consuming it becomes destructive but I’m sure you get what I’m saying.

For you … HG

4. C★ says:

this reminds me of that scene from Wuthering Heights

1. Dr. Harleen Quinzel PsyD. says:

Am i the only person who has never seen that movie or read the book?

I have no idea what it is even about lol.

1. windstorm2 says:

Dr Q
        I wish I could go back and unread it!! My memories are it’s about scary dysfunction, abuse, narcissism and everyone hurting everyone else, including themselves, set in England in the 1700’s.

2. C★ says:

i didn’t really care for it, i only watched it because HG makes frequent referrals to it & I was curious

3. narc affair says:

Hi Dr. Harleen….wuthering heights was one of the first books i read my first year of university. Its a classic. Ill have to read it again bc i cant remember it all.
        My favorite class was dramatic literature and we read some great books/ movies death of a saleman, streetcar named desire being a few. Jane eyre was my favorite classic and movie.

4. Dr. Harleen Quinzel PsyD. says:

Oh well that sounds pretty interesting …I may have to check it out.

A street car named desire…now that was one of the only required reading I had done in high school lol…

And the movie…I love…LOVE Vivian Leigh and don’t even get me started on marlon Brando…

I couldn’t never decide who i liked more… marlon brando or Paul Newman….different men for different moods lmao…and then there’s Vincent price ….I appreciated his intellect and flavor of creepy lol

I’m pretty convinced marlon brando could wake up any woman’s sex drive…

I remember going through a nothing sexually excites me spell and then I watched Troy lol …. brad pittttttt …. he woke me up and reminded me I wasn’t a plant lmao….

It’s about 1:45 am here and I have to entertain myself …..

Movie time lmao

5. Amber says:

Crying “game”? 😕 If it were a game, we couldn’t cry when alone as if our hearts would break. It is not about manipulation. I have no one to comfort me, although my dogs actually will interrupt anxiety attacks. So there’s no one here to control with my grief. I’m sorry your father didn’t protect you from your mother btw. He most likely did not realize her words would sink in as they did, and perhaps she didn’t, either. But it was wrong, regardless.

As a child, when I still could cry I did not let StepN see me. Not because I thought it made me appear weak or was told as such. It was because instictively I knew he would enjoy it. I damaged myself to spite him.

7. Diva says:

This article is conjuring up memories for me, however this “crying game” is not how I recall it…….although I only remember one episode…..and that is when I vowed to never cry again….at least not outwardly. Unlike your scenario, I was not instructed “not to cry”, but I became aware myself that it was a fruitless exercise and there was only one person benefitting from it…….and it wasn’t me. It wasn’t that I couldn’t feel the sorrow, I just decided I wasn’t going to let anyone see it anymore. I have come to realise, today, that my devoid tears were in essence an act of defiance, in the hope I would be perceived to be indifferent. Whilst having no real control of the situation, at least in my mind, crying was something I could control when everything else appeared out of control……….Diva

8. Peaceful says:

Awe. HG. It’s so sad to read how you were mistreated by your Mother. It makes me want to hold your HG small child and soothe him. Since I discovered, with the help and insight of your work, I’ve been crying my eyes out out over my childhood wounding. My parents made me feel invisible. I can remember standing in the room at dinner time saying to myself, no one can see me. I can move all about this room, and no one can see me. I am invisible.

9. narc affair says:

Were all crying to have you back on the blog HG 😭😓😭

Dry your tears, His Majestic Narcship has returned.

1. narc affair says:

Curtseying and welcome back 🤗

10. Noname says:

One day, you’ll cry your heart out and it will be the first and very important step to your freedom.

1. narc affair says:

No name….i love this and fear it what you said. It scares me but gives me hope. So true!

11. windstorm2 says:

I place this blame at your fathers feet. I have known several narcissists from when they were born. They all cried from birth and as small children. Granted the tears were different (more selfish, not for others), but they cried and were comforted and taught cognitive empathy from the beginning. And not just from a parent, but from other family members. Where was your father when you were a baby and small child? I understand your mother not being there for you, but why was he not?

And that brings up something else that’s been irritating me from a previous article – the one where your mother made you stand out in the cold to memorize the poem. Didn’t you say before that your father was a headmaster at a school? Then he would have been a trained educator. Why on earth did he not step in and put a stop to such atrocities?

My father was a narc himself, yet he would not let my mother treat me so harshly. He was smart enough to understand that it could warp and damage me. He would even step in when I was crying and do something to stop it. Of course I don’t remember being an infant, but I’m sure he intervened to protect me from birth. He had no empathy, but he was very proud of me and wanted me to be successful, not broken.

I don’t want to disparage your family, HG. But you say your father was highly intelligent and very well educated. Why did he not control your mother better? Was it maybe a disadvantage that he was an empath and not a greater narc, so didn’t understand the damage she was causing? Or was he unwilling to have the blazing rows that were common in my home and dominate to push through what he thought was best?

I don’t understand, but I can’t help thinking that he’s the one that let you all down. Maybe he was as much a victim as the rest of you. Maybe he felt his hands were tied. But I know NarcAngel would agree with me, it was his responsibility to protect you all and be there for you. And he obviously did not succeed.

Windstorm

I do agree with you. I believed StepNarc to be the abuser and my mother a victim until I questioned her inaction. Since then it has been clear to me that I had two.

1. windstorm2 says:

NarcAngel
        😐 I figured you would. I hate to be harsh to anyone who was a victim of a narc, and I realize men aren’t traditionally supposed to be responsible for child care. Also maybe there are many things he did to protect little HG that have just not been mentioned. But as both the parent and child of a narcissist i know there were many ways he could have intervened to help his baby/small child deal with both the abuse and his natural lack of empathy. His father is described as having empathy and intervening with the other children. I can’t help but wonder where he was for little HG.

1. MLA - Clarece says:

I struggle with that too. He had HG’s older step brother from a previous relationship. Maybe he didn’t have to be as involved (due to the times back then) and that son had a pretty normal upbringing? He didn’t realize his complacency would have such a damaging, long term impact until it was too late? Then Rachel came along and he felt more enamoured and protective towards his little girl? HG has written how MatriNarc would go the icy fury route with her silent treatments. Who knows how she was triangulating HG’s dad when HG was a baby and toddler.

1. windstorm2 says:

Clarece
            Yes. I always try not to judge people because I can never really understand what their situation was. And it’s very hard to raise a child who doesn’t have empathy. HG tells us again and again that narcs don’t love. They really can’t love like we can.

I know personally how very difficult it is to raise a child who doesn’t love you. Who can’t love you. My oldest son is 34 today and it was a real struggle to get thru to him and for him to understand me. I remember as a baby he never wanted to be held or touched unless I was feeding him. He didn’t smile and react to other people like his siblings did. He was always wary. It took forever for him to trust me. He just assumed everyone was lying and trying to one up him. I had the advantage that I’d always lived with narcs and had aware narcs and other family to help me. And also his dad didn’t fight me over how to raise and train them. He had no real interest in the children until they were older.

HG’s dad may have been clueless to understand his narc son. He may have assumed that HG would have come to him for help if he needed it (they won’t) or cried and showed sadness when he needed support (they won’t do that either). And little HG may have instinctively followed his mother over his father because her example made more sense to him. I certainly saw that in my son with his dad and the other narcs in the family. I know it sounds stupid, but we were all just very fortunate that our family had greater narcs who understood narcissism and valued the legacy of their children and grandchildren, then stepped in and trained the rest of us.

Windstorm

It seems his Father knew (whether when HG was still a child, or he eventually realized) that he failed HG in not sheilding him, thus causing his restrained emotion at the restaurant. I wonder if at that point his remorse and shame overshadowed the fact that there was still hope in that HG recognized his Fathers pride and he may have been able to build on that. If that was the case I find it tragic that a different kind of pride (on both sides) prevented that. I have tried to suspend my theories because I know there is more information coming in the books Little Boy Lost and Matrinarc but I think its natural they surface nontheless while reading the articles.

3. windstorm2 says:

NarcAngel
            I agree with you. I think at some point he realized he had failed and maybe just accepted it as a sad reality. I don’t think we can ever truly understand another person. I have a hard enough time understanding my own thoughts and actions. No way I can understand how a man from another culture thought. I fear I’m violating one of my own hard rules – don’t judge.

Sort of reminds me of a long running dispute I had with my husband. I value being rational very highly. He is a very logical man but often acted irrationally. This made no sense to me and one day he explained it. He said, “I think things thru logically and make the logical choice, although it may not seem rational at the time. You always make the rational choice in each situation, although it may not be logical in the long run.”

That has always stuck in my mind as an example of how difficult, if not impossible, it is to do the “best” thing for everyone in any given situation. Think I’ll sit here on my porch and meditate on the importance of not judging others when I can never even know their own goals and personal reality.

4. MLA - Clarece says:

I know Diva said in a comment that she doesn’t think there are any “Narc Whisperers” out there. But, Holy Hell, Windstorm2, if we were all in a room together I’d hold up a sign saying #NarcWhisperer with an arrow pointing to you!
            That is both fascinating and heartbreaking realizing from birth your baby was different and wired, by nature, without the ability to love back, yet you persevered to cultivate the best relationship you can in that situation with him. I take it you were able to instill cognitive empathy with him and that he finally accepted he could trust you? I’m glad your other children who came before gave you the contrast to see the difference to know to adjust how you engaged with him. In reading your experience, having gone thru 5 years of infertility with one miscarriage, if my daughter was then not attaching to me, or worse I felt rejected by my child, not knowing a thing about narcissism, I would be beyond crestfallen and depressed. Does your daughter-in-law confide to you about how to cope with him sometimes?

5. windstorm2 says:

Ha, ha, Clarece! If I’m anything then it’s a testament that if you live with something enough years, knowledge is inevitable!

My narc son is my oldest, so I had no experience with other children to go on until his siblings came along (quickly-I had 3 within 3 years). I did have a wonderful, loving mother in law who’d raised 3 narc sons to advise me. Obviously my mother was no help.

It was a struggle and having been an only child I had no experience with children. My second son is an empath. I don’t know if I would have made it without his love and smiles almost from his birth. And all my inlaws helped to teach my oldest cognitive empathy and how to succeed in relationships with others.

I’ll never forget my father in law (greater somatic) explaining to my sons about marriage. He was a very flamboyant man and I could never do one of his stories justice, but it was along the lines of –

” if you boys want to drive a corvette, you have to come up with the money to get a corvette. You can’t just see one on the street and drive off with it. You can’t depend on somebody else giving you a corvette for nothing, either. You’re going to have to work hard to get the money to buy one. And once you get your corvette you have to maintain it, change the oil, put gas in it, keep good tires, otherwise it won’t last and run for you even if you manage to get one.
            A good woman is just like a corvette. If you want a woman to stay married to you, maintain your house, have and raise your children, you have to figure out what she’s going to cost and be willing to pay it. And I don’t just mean money. I mean you’re going to have to figure out what’s important to her and what she wants from life and provide it, whether you think it’s important or not, or you won’t keep her.
            Now if you don’t want to do that, that’s fine. You can go from woman to woman just like you can go from one old junk car to another. It’s your life to do whatever you want with. Just figure out what it is you really want and what it’s going to cost you and be willing to pay the price.”

My daughter in law’s father is a narc. Her mother’s been married 5 times. She understands narcs and can hold her own. My son knows if he doesn’t want some other man raising his children, he can’t be too abusive or she will leave him and take the girls with her. He knows what he wants and the things he has to do and he chooses to do them.

I don’t think narcs ever really trust us. Even when they seem to, in the back of their mind there’s always doubt. My son has really mellowed, first with his marriage and now with his children. Now that he knows how important his girls are to him, I think he understands better how important he is to me.

So that’s how I managed to successfully raise my children, narcs and empaths. I was blessed with intelligent children and I had a lot of wise help!

6. MLA - Clarece says:

Windstorm2 – this is such golden information. It really demonstrates how the “nurture” part in the upbringing of a child with the pre-dispostion towards narcissism and lack of empathy can at least help mold in productive ways so that it doesn’t evolve into that of severe abuse and malice.
            Your FIL’s story about caring for the corvette is priceless and can be said with the word appliance in its place. I mean, it doesn’t get more blunt than that. Lol
            It truly takes a village to raise a child. But look at the difference your son has on the spectrum because he was shown love, guidance, nurturing, no physical or sexual abuse. So many lost children at the hands of ill-equipped parents.
            You definitely earned your angel wings, Windstorm2.

7. windstorm2 says:

Clarece
            Thank you very much, but I don’t deserve any more credit than anyone else. All I did was the best I could in the circumstances, like most of us do.

As empaths we tend to think that love is the most important thing for children, but understanding is essential too. And no one can understand a young narc like a self-aware narc can. I realize now that I was fortunate to have 3 greater narcs in my family who were very intelligent and understood the dynamics of narcissism and (very importantly) really wanted their children/grandchildren to be successful. There was always a lot of dysfunction, chaos and abuse, but understanding helped balance it out.

In contrast, my mother’s family is full of just midrangers (and probably some lessers no one will acknowledge). There is no understanding, no tolerance – just backbiting, hatefulness and envy. My children all saw this, but learned to laugh at it like the greaters do.

My FIL was a rough and scary man – the closest thing to a mafioso I’m sure I’ll ever meet. Stories about him are legendary in the family. But as the patriarch of his family, he was wonderful. He taught us all and set the example all his narc decendents have tried to follow. He will always be one of my favorite people and I’ll always miss answering my phone to hear his loud, confident, “How’s my daaaarlin’ daughter in law?” 😊

8. MLA - Clarece says:

I know what you’re saying and yes I’m agreeing with the understanding component with family role models that transcended into a level of awareness so that their kids could be successful and there can be a level of co-habitating without destroying one’s soul. I think that is special. A lot of these narcs are just creating the constant cycle of abuse completely unaware of the root cause like a dog chasing his tail.

9. Diva says:

Well maybe I was wrong about the narc whisperer after reading your response to Windstorm……she is a true gem and I love reading her posts……I can’t see too many running to fill that narc whisperer career slot…….although I might give it a shot myself once I have read all of these books…..I have picked up a few techniques here in Northern Ireland that might prove useful if the softly softly approach doesnt work. I may have to dust off my balaclava and there probably won’t be much whispering either!……. I hope Windstorm is reading this…….I laugh out loud every time she writes “LITTLE HG”……that means something entirely different over here!!!! Diva

10. windstorm2 says:

I think I read everything, Diva! Now you have me curious as to little HG’s other meaning. Google has let me down.
            I guess I’ll have to stop writing that. I can’t take the short cut and abbreviate my state anymore, either. I have to write out “Kentucky” here now and I haven’t had to do that since elementary school English class.

11. Diva says:

HG can you explain why when Windstorm keeps referring to “Little HG” ……how that means something else here in the U.K……..I can’t find the words……and she wants to know……..and don’t pretend you don’t know!..Diva

Grow up

13. Diva says:

Never!

14. MLA - Clarece says:

Hi Diva! Uh-oh, “Little HG” has another meaning? I say that frequently here too.
            It may not be a potential career slot, but I don’t mind mastering those skills to be a Narc Whisperer, for dealing in professional or personal areas.
            I always crack up when the flyers come in the mail to my office for those Fred Pryor or Dale Carnegie seminars on “Dealing with Difficult People in the Workplace”. Now I know it’s really how to deal with Narcs. I’d probably run circles around the instructor.
            I think when I grow up, I want to be Windstorm2.

2. Twilight says:

Diva

I am giggling if what I am thinking “little HG” Never put the two together

I am sorry HG

1. Diva says:

Hi Twilight…..if you are giggling it’s my guess you know what I mean! HG doesn’t want to talk about it! I think I hit a nerve……Diva

2. Diva says:

Hi Twilight…..I also meant to say that I always read your posts with interest and if you don’t mind I may throw in the odd comment now and then? I will try and ensure it’s not too odd…..but I can’t make any promises there! Diva

3. 🤔 says:

I don’t think you need to be Brittish to understand what little HG may also refer to; you just need to have a dirty mind.

Correct.

1. Diva says:

Guilty as charged Your Honour – I watched far too many “Carry On” films as a kid!!!

12. Anne says:

Cold as ice. But quite the mimic. Good one.

13. Mona says:

What kind of person is Dr. E?

I quote him: “How did you feel when something bad happened to you?” Dr E would ask…“If you did something wrong for example.”

If something bad happens, it is done to you, not by you.

Strange example by him, I think. Was he a little bit influenced by someone else or did he have prejudice against you?

Or did you persuade him that you are evil? And he gave up a little bit?

Well spotted Mona, he is influenced by A. N. Other.

14. Sophia says:

Tears that come first from the left eye first are a physiological response to pain. You could wound your mother by giving her some fun physiological facts about tears that have nothing to do with being weak or fearless.
    I’d love to stomp on her foot to see if I could make her eyes water so I could call her a weak bird. Then I’d laugh and point. 🤣 I’m so sorry you weren’t treated well. You didn’t deserve it.

Interesting. What if you are a cyclops?

1. Sophia says:

Cyclops’ are the same. Especially when someone stomps on their foot. LOL Are you a cyclops? 😉

No, I have perfect eyesight thank you.

1. Sophia says:

I don’t think I know what a cyclops is. I was thinking super hero? Are they blind?

It is a creature with one eye.

2. Dr. Harleen Quinzel PsyD. says:

Omg now I’m dying to see the 7th voyage of sinbad….

Thanks for reminding me of that old gem

15. Cc says:

Your mother will have to re-live every single wrong she meted out to you, except next time it will be how it looked and felt through your eyes. Justice will be served.

Fury