The Cold Dead Stare

THE-COLD-DEAD-STARE

You should consider that you are rather fortunate to be given these glimpses into the workings of my mind. Ordinarily you are unable to peer into the dark mind of my kind and me.  As an empathic individual you do cultivate an ability to understand the way that other people are thinking and how they are feeling. It provides you with a degree of intuition and this is applicable to many of the people that you meet. You apply this ability for the purposes of doing good things and I understand why you do that.

Notwithstanding this ability, however, it does not work with us. You are unable to establish what is going through our minds or what we might be thinking, no matter how desperate you are, to be able to do this. This is because we do not abide by the normal rules and conventions of everyone else. We do not travel on the well-worn path but instead we take those routes which are far from the beaten path. These routes are tangled, unmapped and dangerous and they are so designed to prevent others from following us down them. We do not want you to know what we are thinking.

This is because we have no desire to convey to you any advantage in seeking to escape our effects and make it harder for us to obtain fuel from you. We must cloak our minds and make them impervious to your attempts to read them. We must operate through secrecy and covert behaviours so that you never see us coming, so that you never know what will happen next and so that you have no opportunity to evade us. Not only do we shroud our minds in this manner through our rejection of logic and the adoption of behaviours which are outside those considered normal, we also ensure you cannot read us through our eyes.

Many people look to the eyes as a device for gauging what someone might be thinking or perhaps more accurately feeling. If we are explaining something to somebody and we see confusion in that person’s eyes we know we must adopt a clearer method in our explanation. If we are conveying some news and see a pained expression in those eyes we know (if it was you making the comment) to alter the manner in which it is expressed to make it less painful or to do or say something to offer support. Of course, when we see it, we merely increase the pain in order to extract a reaction from you.

This weakness of the eyes in allowing another person to gauge how someone is feeling and therefore ascertain what they are thinking is not something that we can countenance. This is vulnerability and we do not like vulnerabilities at all. We have enough to contend with, without allowing you to see what they are. Accordingly, in order to ensure that our mind is impervious to your inspection we will either adopt a cold, dead look in our eyes which renders them impenetrable or we will simply reflect back at you what you are feeling and mislead you.

When we adopt that cold stare, it may be designed to induce a sense of dread in you but it has a primary purpose. This purpose is to create a shield so that you are unable to ascertain what we are thinking and thus our plotting mind is secure from external influence and can proceed in its scheming. Should we reflect back to you what you are showing to us, we are doing this to mislead you, but also again to prevent you from having any chance of understanding what is going on in our dark minds. Our minds are the core of our operations. Our minds control everything in order to achieve our aim of securing fuel and as such, this most precious of devices must not be compromised in any way by people like you and your meddling.

We must ensure that our minds are ring-fenced, cut-off and protected from your attempts to read us. Should you be able to do that then you will be taking away one of our advantages. We know what you are thinking and we know what you are going to do next because you are an empath and you not only wear your heart on your sleeve but you wear your mind there as well. Your eyes allow us straight into what you are thinking and feeling. Your mind may as well be transparent or broadcast its thoughts onto a flat screen for all to see. You are easy to work out and study, hence why we choose you. A similar fate must not befall us and this is why we ensure at all times that our minds are impervious to your penetration.

11 thoughts on “The Cold Dead Stare

1. Kim e says:

Leela
    Thanks for the kind words.

2. Truthseeker6157 says:

The interesting thing for me about this article is that you readily accept that people can be read. I don’t think many people do. They might accept the extremes, such as seeing fear in someone’s eyes, or anguish. In general though, people won’t accept they can be read, certainly not to the level implied here. When they are read, they’re shocked.

Narcissists do accept this reading ability exists for the reasons described here. Mine did too. Narcissists draw empaths so it’s possible they have more experience with this empathic skill set than the normals do, they’re faced with it more often.

I agree that a narcissist can cloak to a degree. Interesting you use the word cloak too. I would use the same word in the same context. It isn’t only eyes that facilitate a read though. In fact if the cold dead stare was used against me I would likely just reach all the more. I think the apparent rejection of logic and adoption of less normal behaviours is actually more effective as a defence. When my narc was in front of me and I was getting a read on him, the best way to describe it is that his mind kept changing. Repeatedly. I’d feel something then a minute later it switched to something else, totally unrelated. Inconsistent. I didn’t know he was a narcissist then but if I felt the same from someone else again I’d take that as a serious red flag.

Looking at it in the other direction with regards to empaths showing their feelings openly. I’d have to say, not always. I can imagine many do, lovely to be that way in my opinion. Dangerous though. I think I work more in percentages. Everyone gets 30%, that’s quite a lot. Some information I’ll offer up readily, it helps me connect. Over time that percentage increases so you get more of what I’m thinking and feeling. I have a huge capacity to feel and a great depth of emotion, but it takes a very long time before I’ll share it. Trust is a big deal, I don’t give of myself straight away. The more I read, the more I think this is a good thing. I think I’m probably just hard work ha ha.

3. Leela says:

I have a question, H.G.: Do also people with “only” NPD have this stare or is that stare a sign of also sociopathic/psychopathic traits?

My dad (narcissist) does not have THE STARE, my middle mid range narc “friend” did THE STARE very often. A sign of psychopathic traits?

The Stare is not present with all narcissists, it is not an indicator of psychopathy either.

1. Leela says:

Indeed, some have it others don´t. But this stare is not present in “healthy” (DSM-5) people, is it? Had never seen that stare before I met “my” mid range ex-narc-“friend”.

1. Kim e says:

Leela,
          I will never look at the word friend the same again. I cringe when I hear it now. How sad that we can be so manipulated that a basic word that means a lot can make me so stressed now

1. Leela says:

Oh, I´m sorry to hear that, Kim! But if it´s so bad, it may make sense to get professional help? 🙁 Everything will be alright! Don´t worry. Have a big warm hug! <3

I may belong to the "lucky ones" among the victims cause I am "only" the daughter of a narc and was "only" the NISS of a middle mid ranger.

2. Eternity says:

I normally could tell when pupils are dilated . Could that be a sign HG?

Of cocaine use, absolutely!

1. Eternity says:

Yikes, the person was looking at me must have been high ! Was awesome looking too .
            Maybe it was you HG
            Ha ha .

4. Leela says:

Oh dear me! Excuse me but that always reminds me on “Hannibal Lecter” in “Silence of the Lambs” (Anthony Hopkins is a GREAT actor by the way).

Malice