The Online Narcissist :Somatic
How do you spot a Somatic Narcissist online?
I have explained before how the advancements in technology have created a haven for our kind. The internet has become a prime hunting ground for all schools and all cadres of narcissist. From social media to dating websites to chatrooms, the existence of cyberspace has created so many opportunities for us to target and hunt down our victims. Not only that, technology has extended our reach, allowed us to target multiple victims, remain in contact with scores of prospects and do so at any time from nearly any part of the world. It is little wonder that our kind cruise, shark-like, through cyberspace, seeking our victims.
There is much to be said for you staying away from the internet. Not only are you closing down various avenues for the narcissist you have just banished through no contact, to prevent hoovers, you are also reducing the risk of being ensnared by another one. However, the internet and all of its accoutrements are regular fixtures in most people’s lives and therefore such blanket avoidance is not only impractical it may not be desired. Why should you let our kind force you into no longer enjoying the benefits of the information superhighway?
Accordingly, you wish to maintain a presence in cyber space and so you must adopt a position of vigilance. I have detailed previously the ways in which we look for our victims through the various portals of the internet, the types of behaviour, the profiles, the postings and the engagements which not only show you are susceptible to being seduced but highlight your empathic traits so you have a neon light above you, drawing us to you. How about you being in a position to spot our kind when we are on the internet? This is clearly a worthwhile skill to hone as part of your Narcdar, in identifying us.
One of the most prominent places that this identification takes place is with regards to dating websites and it is there that I shall show you what you ought to be looking out for in two distinct stages. The first is the type of indicators that you might see on the profile page of our kind on a dating website. The second are the tells that occur when you first engage with our kind on such a website when you begin the excitement of flagging your interest and exchanging message. I will therefore detail the indicators in these two stages which you ought to be aware of so that you can determine whether the person is one of our kind and therefore you can dodge the bullet, escape the tendril and evade the narcissist.
Keep in mind that these are indicators, two or three is nothing to be concerned about. Yes, this shows that there are narcissistic traits in evidence but once it goes beyond three of these indicators you need to become wary. The more indicators there are, the more likely it is that this person in cyberspace is a narcissist and you are skirting on the edge of being seduced.
Let us begin with the Somatic Narcissist. The Somatic Narcissist is one of the four cadres and is generally defined as a narcissist who has a pre-occupation with appearance, looks, material possessions, sex, status and the earnings of himself and those around him. What should you be aware of when you are working your way through those dating profiles and what should you pay heed to should you commence in messaging somebody on these sites to determine whether this person is more likely than not a Somatic Narcissist ?
- In respect of a male somatic narcissist the profile picture will show the individual bare-chested to show off his physique. In the case of a female narcissist the picture will be glamorous with the narcissist made-up, pouting and quite possibly utilising a professionally taken picture. In both sexes the photo may also show the individual next to an expensive or flash-looking car, undertaking some kind of adrenaline pursuit, such as flying through the air on a mountain bike or a grinning shot as the individual parachutes from a plane or the picture will be of the individual against the backdrop of a chasm or a luxurious beach.
- If the profile contains more than nine additional pictures as well as the profile picture, this is an indicator of a somatic narcissist. Pay attention to the individual striking the same pose in each picture such as the man flexing his muscles to show off his ‘guns’, adopting a Usain Bolt stance, pouting or standing with one hand on hip. These are all indicators.
- If the pictures only have the profile holder in them, this is a further indicator.
- There will be no mention of having been single for some time, looking for love for a period of time or anything to denote that the individual has been alone.
- The individual will make mention of his or her employment, job position and/or earning capacity in the profile text. If the site provides a bracket for the individual’s earning to be entered, they will be and they will be listed in six figures whether this is true or not.
- The individual will not make mention of wanting to engage in pursuits such as staying in and getting cosy by the fire, going for romantic walks, watching films together. These are regarded as vanilla and boring by the somatic narcissist. An absence of mentioning these things is an indicator. If phrases such as those above are included, this is a downward indicator.
- The somatic narcissist will make reference to various interests which will include outdoor pursuits, adrenaline fix pursuits, attendance at a gym, sports and anything which denotes the pursuit of competitive physical excellence. If there are references to winning events such as an Iron Man Triathlon, running the New York marathon or similar this is a double indicator.
- There will be repeated reference to travel. Specifically, look out for reference to exotic beach holidays and holidays which involve pursuits such as ski-ing, trekking, kayaking around islands and such like. There is unlikely to be mention of places where one might undertake sight-seeing of landmarks and such like. The somatic narcissist is there to be the sight seen, not to sight see.
- If there are references to where the individual lives in terms of an upmarket area as opposed to the region or city, references to the size and style of accommodation or reference to additional places where the individual lives, these are indicators.
- If the profile states that the individual dislikes lazy people, people who do nothing, out of shape people etc. this is a firm indicator. The somatic narcissist has no concern about letting people know what he does not like and his lack of tact will mean that it will be rude and disparaging.
- If the profile makes reference to sexual prowess of proficiency this is a firm indicator also. Again, the somatic narcissist is unlikely to apply tact to the situation and is content to brag about such matters.
- References to shopping, shoe collections, extensive technology collections, record collections trainer collections and similar are also indicators.
- The profile of a somatic narcissist is likely to make reference to nights out at glamorous places, going to bars, wanting to be seen, mixing with people and such like.
- If the individual references somebody famous in their profile either purporting to know them or quoting from that individual – who is likely to be a sports person – this is an additional indicator.
- Re-read the profile. If you read it back and immediately hear the voice of someone talking quickly as if pumped up on adrenaline and Red Bull, with exhortations of ‘yeah’, ‘hell’ and ‘woo’ whilst a fist pump or a high five is being delivered, this is a considerable warning sign.
- The profile of the somatic narcissist will be 90 per cent about him or her with a smaller section reserved for what he or she does not want and also what he or she is looking for. The looking for section will be up front about wanting someone who is physically attractive and engages in similar activities. This is actually paying lip service to considering the other person. The somatic narcissist IS the draw and really is not overly interested in what the other person does. Not at this stage.
The more indicators you identify from this profile and its accompanying pictures, the higher the likelihood that this individual is a somatic narcissist.
If you engage with somebody on a dating website and exchange messages, then you should be aware of the following indicators which all evidence that you are engaging with a somatic narcissist.
- They will respond quickly to your messages. They will also badger you if you have not answered their message promptly. If there has been a flurry of messaging, then you have slowed in your response times and you have been badgered to respond, when you do respond there is silence, the somatic narcissist has moved on to a different target and you have been forgotten about. Understand that all narcissists using such sights will have multiple prospects in order to maximise both fuel and the opportunities of ensnaring suitable prey and anyone who fails to keep up with the pace will be left behind.
- Expect messages to be short and to the point. The lesser somatic will use text speak a lot. The mid-range and greater less so, but their messages will not be long or flowery.
- You will be asked for your mobile number and offered his or hers within five exchanges.
- You will be asked direct questions about your profile pictures. Is it you? Is it a recent picture? Where was it taken?
- You will be sent bare chest and dick pictures by the male somatic, topless and bottom pictures by the female somatic, whilst you will be repeatedly pressed to reciprocate.
- The content of the messages will become sexual between five and ten exchanges. If mobile numbers have been exchanged expect to engage in sexting and talking dirty down the phone to one another. This will be wanted or engaged in before any suggestion of a date has taken place.
- The somatic narcissist will appear to be interested in you experiencing his or pursuits ‘I would love to take you rock climbing, you will really enjoy it’ or ‘We could go camping and do some hunting, it will be a blast.’ There will be an assumption that you will enjoy it. The somatic narcissist may appear encouraging by offering to instruct you, teach you etc. so this appears that they are kind and taking an interest. This is being done purely to show that they are an expert and to test your credentials to be their victim by ascertaining whether you have the right class traits.
- You can expect to be asked your opinion about various matters which are of value to the somatic narcissist. What you do for a living, how much you earn, where you live, where you holiday, what type of car you drive, what you think of certain places, what you think of certain famous people. This may appear like taking an interest in your preferences. It is being done to garner information to ensure that you accord with the somatic class traits and to mine for intelligence which can then be used to mirror and seduce once the somatic narcissist is satisfied that you are a decent prospect worth expending further time and energy on. Do not expect to be asked about books, art, religion, politics, economics, current affairs or similar matters. If you engage in a conversation using those topics you will witness the topic being shut down and moved to something else in order to return to relevant somatic topics.
- The somatic will appear very keen and enthusiastic but it will border on pushy in terms of wanting replies, wanting pictures and wanting to meet up. You are likely to put it down to being very interested in you and the somatic narcissist will only confirm that to be the case if challenged. He or she is keen to draw fuel from your messages but even keener to move to meeting you and this will be pushed for quickly, in around ten or so exchanges and within just a day of making contact.
A significant aggregate of these indicators both from the profile and the subsequent engagement will tell you readily enough that you have been interacting with a somatic narcissist and therefore you should heed all these red flags before meeting the individual concerned, since doing so means you will become at a far greater risk of being successfully seduced in person.
34 thoughts on “The Online Narcissist :Somatic”
If y’all want to see an obvious male somatic narc example, type in kingvitaly in Instagram
As your enterprise continues to grow, how about setting up a dating site for empaths only. Obviously you’d have to vet everyone. You could give a money back guarantee after, say. 12 months long enough to ensure it wasn’t a fake GP? All genuine empaths so there would be no lying about likes and dislikes, no mirroring required, just true soulmates.
It is something that I am considering with a software developer.
Can I pose like Sharon on there so people think I’m a whack job?
That cover pic is so fitting. I’ve seen my ex in that exact pose on dating sites.
I have a confession Mercy. I was given an assignment to “get a picture.” So, I’m in a private FB group with some individuals who mostly go by false names due to a past employment issue.. There are 13 of us. Several are in other locations—one in London, one in Australia and one in Scotland. This group originally formed as a spin off from training dogs for police in some instances—or sporting. Anyway—the background is maybe irrelevant but coming out of the gate to say I was recruited to get “a picture” is kinda strange. I got the picture! To this day we still find humor in it. I was almost embarrassed by the things I had to say to get the picture but it has earned me favor!
That is so helpful. Thank you HG!
You are welcome, Kiki.
Honestly ive never been attracted to somatics. I appreciate a good looking guy and may find them attractive but a somatic usually turns me off. I find them too vain and its obvious theyre high on themselves which makes them appear empty. Many actually come off unintelligent bc theyve put too much emphasis into their physical attributes. There are the odd covert somatics that downplay or dont boast about their looks that are the ones i would watch out for bc theyd be more manipulative. Ive seen so many somatics both men and women and i find them the easiest to pick out a mile away. I feel the least threatened by these types of narcissists bc theyre so obvious. I actually find them comical to watch bc they dont realise how ridiculous they look.
I feel the same way. I am more attracted to Elite or Cerebral Narcissist. However, the somatic that I was with, temporarily downplayed his Somatic side during the Golden Period by mirroring me. I like to dress up and go out, so we met in the middle there, but he would give money to the poor, talk about spiritualism, talk shit about the narcissist I was with before. I felt safe and felt like I was with an alpha male. It was so strange, how everything can just flip and their true selves come out.
The somatic features disgust me!!! I think they are actually traits of borderline personality disorder. I think a lot of Somatic Men who are Narcissist try to appear masculine, to cover up their feminine traits of drama, neediness, and the use of their sexuality to get attention. No woman wants to deal with a boyfriend who has those traits.
Shirtless men are gross to me but my aversion hasn’t helped me not be sucked in to the other twats. I like forearms.
I’d prefer shirtless to dick pics! I’d prefer one with the man baking croissants or something 😀
Faces and forearms. I actually was told by my children that my ex had walked around shirtless with a nipple adornment after he left—just a few months after. I can’t tell you how much laughter this provided my entire family & friends. Absolutely out of character from what we had known. I can’t look at a shirtless man unless it’s on the beach/at the pool! If only he had known the negative fuel he’d have received under my roof for such brutish behavior. As beaten down as I was I would have smacked the hell out of him!
I prefer mine wiping the dishes, mowing the lawn, taking out the garbage and fixing leaking taps 🛠
Luv Bubbles xx
And every square inch of him’s covered with hair….
HG PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do one of these for the cerebral!!
It is on the to do list, Supernova DE.
I look forward to that as well! I think I’ve come across quite a few Cerebral and maybe Elite narcs online, on discussion forums. They are not dating sites or ones oriented to somatic interests, so it makes perfect sense that the more intellectual ones gather there. I had some interesting dynamics with them, e.g. we can sometimes connect very well first but they end up trying to compete with me, and then the interaction dissipates because I won’t engage in repetitive useless competition and fight with anyone. Still always the same dynamic and outcome. These are people I never meet offline so there is no real interest usually other than some mental masturbation.
Some did try to entice me to meet offline but I very rarely say ‘yes’ to that with anyone I first connect with online and in the rare case of yes, only after a long time when I have a pretty good sense of them. I had the experience a few times that I met one in an online group, developed communication via private messaging, at some point we planned a meeting, but things got pretty crazy and I backed off. Some of those folks just got weirder and weirder with time and then disappeared. I definitely often had the impression they were intelligent but out of touch with reality in major ways. Many of the online interactions also turned pretty addictive and that was quite repulsive for me, spending all that time on useless exchanges and actually using them as escape from other things that are productive.
HG, anecdotally what percentage of Ns would you say are elite, somatic, victim or cerebral?
Do you think it’s a common mistake for people who believe they know about Ns to mistakenly assume a cerebral N is in fact someone with aspergers? I’ve noticed this a couple of times where some people have said someone is ‘on the spectrum’ whom are 100% N. So, yes on the spectrum but we’re not talking about the same spectrum here.
If the somatic is married and seducing a married dirty empath, will the quick turn to sexual topics/demand for proximate interaction be the same?
Or would they salami slice their way in?
Would it be different between meeting a stranger vs shifting a NISS to IPSS?
It would depend on the school of narcissist and the extent to which the narcissism detects that control is being obtained/is being resisted.
I have been coming across a lot of Cerebrals IRL and on social media lately. All Cerebral narcissist, even if they are persuing romantically, want to feel intellectually superior right? So even if they are not going off on a subject that appeals to their interest, you pick up a vibe that they are trying to let you know on a subconscious level that they are intellectually superior to you. They may use language that is far too formal for the interaction, they may bring up their credentials somehow, or they may just be matter of fact with their approach- and you are wrong. Instead of asking you out within 5 minutes like a Somatic would, I think a cerebral would try to get off on the interaction, and would prefer to take their time online. If the cerebral feels that an online target should be devalued, they will do so in a way to make it clear that the target isn’t intellectual/educated/cultured enough for a date with the cerebral. The cerebral would get fuel from this, and live in make believe world were they call the shots with women.
Sorry I just saw this!
I agree with you entirely and I think this is how the MMRN functioned. He actively avoided seeing me in person though all of his verbal praise indicated he wanted that desperately.
He sees himself as a ladies man for sure!
Wanted to tell you I really enjoy your comments on the blog, I have learned a lot from you.
Supernova DE, I feel the same way about you and everyone else here. I love what. everyone brings to the table and love just reading people bounce their thoughts back and forth. ❤ thank you for the compliment.
I’m not a dating site person, but briefly when Facebook launched their new dating app, I thought “ what the hell.” It was mostly to distract my attention from the Narc.
Besides 30 or so truck drivers and rap artists and God knows what, there were 2 I engaged briefly with.
The 1st was a classic somatic narcissistic, my 1st, but I recognized it quickly, due to being educated (thank you HG).
After bragging about his athletic feats nonstop, which does not impress me, by the 3d text conversation, he started testing my interest in nude beaches, sex clubs and threesomes!! 🤮
A total stranger asking these things!!! I discarded him immediately
#2 was a psychologist who fancied himself clever. We had a coffee date and after, he wanted a full on make out sesh outside Starbucks! I told him I was not rushing into anything (he wanted to be a couple right then). 2nd date, he mixed up his conversations and asked me details on something we never talked about. I countered what he said w the facts, and scrolled up our text convo and showed him he full of crap. I politely made it through the evening, went home and blocked him everywhere!!!!
There is 2 weeks on the app! Epic Fail!!
The last time I engaged with someone on a dating app, the guy invited me over to do some sex magic ritual during the full moon. I was like, “yes, this sounds fun!”, but quickly was like, ‘no, he could be a serial killer’. I need to start going to church or something to meet guys.
Was he going to show you his full moon, in the full moon, ANM?
Maybe that was the idea @HG. Lol
Oh God—no church please! No! I hate church!
My dumb arse would have showed up with a baphomet figurine and ended up under the floor boards
@Witch, he was very sexy, passionate, and could have easily been my next big mistake.
Cogra: watch out for engineering majors. They have all the annoying tics of physicists, mathematicians, and computer geeks, but none of the sweet nerdy qualities. You think your psychologist was full of himself?
Violetta, I agree with your generalization of dating Engineers. Lol. I could dwell, but it could get offensive to some. Also, I studied Psychology briefly in college, and have found if you ever want to deflate a Psychologist’s overinflated ego, tell them Psychology isn’t a “real” science, and they should have studied to become a real doctor. Oh they hate that. Lol.