The Fear

THE-FEAR

Fear comes in many forms. It has the capacity to cause dread, anxiety and nervousness. Fear is one of the most powerful tools that exists to facilitate control over somebody. Think back to when you were a small child and the things that frightened you. Many of them have a universal applicability. How many times did you cry out to your mother and father in the night because you were frightened of the “monsters under the bed” and you were terrified that once the bedroom door was closed that something would come creeping out of the wardrobe and induce utter fear throughout you?

Perhaps it was the strange shapes that formed once the light was turned off with only moonlight streaming through the crack in the curtains so that the shadow thrown across the room appeared like some old crone waiting to come and take you away and eat you. How many times were you warned as a child never to speak to strangers, never to get into a car with somebody you did not know and never to accept sweets from a stranger?

Do you recall how this conjured up images of smelly old men in stained raincoats who waited to abduct you and spirit you away to be locked up who knows where? Perhaps there was that house on your walk back from school which had attracted a certain reputation. It was run-down, the garden overgrown, with bushes spilling onto the path, the windows grimy and paint peeling. You were never sure whether anybody actually lived there. Some said that a witch resided there and she waited for children passing on their own before grabbing them and stuffing them in her cellar to starve to death. Others told tales on stormy afternoons which made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, about the spirits that haunted the old house.

A friend would swear that he had walked past, one wet and windy evening, just as it was going dark and he saw the face of a ghostly child staring at him from an upstairs window, the child’s spectral hands knocking against the window as if requesting help. After hearing that tale you took a different route home from school so you did not have to pass this particular house anymore. If that was not possible, you would run past, head down, shouting at the top of your voice to drown out any strange sounds that might come from the trapped ghost child, as you dared not even look towards the house. Fear often stalked your childhood and resulted in sleepless nights, nightmares and a reluctance to go to bed.

Do you remember being sent to bed and staring up the stairs towards the darkness wondering what was waiting for you? How you did not want to appear scared in front of your parents (especially since they had let you stay up a while longer because you were a “big boy/girl” now). You wanted to hand those words back as you hovered at the base of the stairs, the hallway colder than the living room from which you had ventured. How many times did the noise of the house settling, resulting in strange groans and creaks convince you that somebody was waiting out of sight in a doorway, their heavy booted foot resting on the squeaky floorboard, rusty axe clutched in greasy, long-nailed fingers?

Did the sight of a clown have you running to hide in the folds of your mother’s dress, that strange leering and accentuated mouth creating panic in your tiny mind? What did that eerie clown have in mind for you?

It might have been a reluctance to paddle barefooted in the sea or a river because you could not see where you were putting your feet. You felt something brush your foot, most likely seaweed, but in your mind some razor-toothed fish was about to take a bite from your ankle or a crab was about to affix a pincer to your big toe. You turned and ran hollering from the edge of the sea back to the safety of the sandy beach.

There may have been a murderer’s alleyway in your town, a badly-lit passageway between two roads which was a convenient and easy short cut during the day but a night the purported preserve of lurking knife merchants and yellow-toothed stranglers who were just waiting to pounce and take your life. You stood staring down the alleyway trying to drive the rising fear from you but it just would not go and instead you opted to walk the long way around. It took twenty extra minutes but at least you got home safely.

Fear continued to stalk your life as you grew older. You might not be worried about the bogeyman anymore but he has shapeshifted into the fear that comes with finding a lump about your body and not knowing what it is. Uncertainty about the business for whom you work has you tossing and turning at night. Wondering where the next pay check will come from has you similarly fearing for the future. Walking alone along a road at night and hearing footsteps behind you still causes your heart rate to increase.

A glance over your shoulder as you cross the road to the over pavement only serves to heighten your worry as a hooded figure also crosses the road. Your step quickens as your fear increases and your mind floods with images of robbery, rape or murder. When alone in the house at night the sound of a bang from downstairs has you sat bolt upright in bed. What was that noise? Did you dream it? Was it somebody breaking in? Was it something not of this world, a poltergeist perhaps hurling a book against a wall. You cannot see what caused the noise and immediately the fear forms in the pit of your stomach, your racing mind conjuring up a score of unpleasant scenarios as you debate creeping to the top of the stairs and peering down to see if you can ascertain what it was.

Fear takes hold of you and makes your reasoning faulty. It tightens around your throat stopping you from calling out and turns your legs into stone so you are figuratively petrified and unable to escape that unseen tormentor. Fear withers you, paralyses you and you will do anything at all to escape that sensation of fear. It is pervasive, damaging and controlling.

Your greatest fears always stem from the unknown. It is that which you cannot see which causes you the greatest terror. When you cannot see something you are plunged into fear, its icy grip takes hold and you crumble.

The unknown and the unseen create the fear.

That is why we are so devastatingly effective in our control of you. That is why we create such numbing fear in you.

33 thoughts on “The Fear

1. J says:

After managing to be no contact with a lower-mid narc neighbor for about 2 years the FEAR is back in full force. During a rare blackout last night I heard noises. Sounded like someone was in my home! This has happened before and family and I usually laugh about me being such a scaredy-cat. I usually remain locked in my bedroom in an state of frozen fear till morning. This afternoon as my son was leaving after a nice visit we found a bouquet of flowers by the front door with a note “sorry if I scared you” signed by the narc neighbor. I have multiple security cameras. Is that why he came during a blackout? How did he know he scared me? Was he in the house and heard me call my son? What was he up to ? Were the other times him as well. We left the flowers by the door as to give zero fuel since I’m guessing he will creep by again to see if they were picked up. Frozen in fear again tonight. So so disappointed since I was mostly fear free and when I got scared at night I did not think of the narc. Ugh.

1. Yes.
      2. He assumed he did through grandiosity, he did not know for certain that he scared you.
      3. Probably not.
      4. He was hoovering you.
      5. Well done on leaving the flowers where they are.

1. J says:

Thank you HG for the feedback. Determined to conquer the narc fear once and for all!

1. FYC says:

Hello J, I hope you do not mind me addressing your feelings of fear with you. Please never surrender your power to another via fear. Your N tormentor/bully does not have power over you. When you feel fearful, just remember, you have control of all that really matters–you! So please reject your fears. Know your logic can prevail and you have choices. One sure way to not let someone push your buttons is to remove them.

1. J says:

Thanks FYC, You are right. Once I reorganize my thoughts and shift back to logical thinking the dust settles and I’m stronger than before. That hoover caught me way off guard but zero contact wins in the end. Reminded myself not to waste any brain cells worrying about the N.

2. unfuckwithable says:

I loved your content,its amazing. How you put forth it so easy to understand. Beautifully written on overcoming fear .
    Keep writing and inspiring us.

V
    It word vomits and sometimes spews out a name – Tony Robbins being one of them. It has no relevance to anything and is just part of their delusion. Thus HG’s response.

Correct.

4. Renarde says:

So, I tried to help who wrongly thought she was possessed by a demon. I thought shed gone quiet.

It took her all night to come up with this charming post.

I’m the mother here Who the hell you think you are the right to speak to a human being like that. I know who the hell you are You disgust me you are nothing like a good witch you are a black serpent snake A filthy Satanists you think Satan is going to rescue you think your nothing more A fake witcht hope that-magi goes back free-folds back at you much harder at you and I will be Bind you for harming my daughter understand.

Intresting. She understands something of the Craft. If not punctuation. I quite like being called a black serpent snake actually. If only she knew.

Fear not NS, all is good at Ren Towers. My male Overlord is happily sleeping in the sun and I’m laughing my black Serpent tits off.

First rule of left hand is never announce it. Such larks!

Fear can so funny things, cant it Hg?

1. Violetta says:

I’ve had students whose sentences changed gears in the middle of a sentence, but she’s a Subaru BRZ.

1. Ren says:

What’s a Scooby?

A Jew.

1. Ren says:

Ohhh!

Scooby Do.

5. Watching you says:

No one’s afraid of you, Tony.

You’re old and powerless.

And you are Pamela. Oh dear.

1. FoolMe1Time says:

And yet another one who is in need of some fuel during the pandemic HG! I do believe you need an exterminator in here my dear! 💞

1. Violetta says:

Wuhan bats among the seagulls?

1. FoolMe1Time says:

I’m afraid so Vi! Maybe if we get lucky they’ll start fueling each other and eventually fly off!

2. FYC says:

Haha, V. Actually this common old seagull lacks any powerful effect. It just scratches around, feeds off any scraps then leaves its bird droppings behind.

3. Violetta says:

Seagull poop and bat guano. If I ever recover a complete sense of smell, it will probably be the first olfactory treat I get. Lucky me.

2. Ren says:

Pamela! How the very devil are you?

When I think of the name Pamela, it always resonates with me that it’s a man rubbing one off.

Say it ain’t so!!!

3. Ren says:

I’m afraid of Tony.

1. Violetta says:

Who the hell is Tony?

An irrelevancy.

1. Violetta says:

How did you know it was Pamela? IP address?
            Reference to Tony the Irrelevant?

2. FYC says:

V, this bird is not that bright and uses the same gravitar so even we can see it has returned.

3. Violetta says:

I still don’t know know who the frack Tony is!

2. K says:

Violetta
          Tamara and Pamela are back, we got a new one on Ask 2 and HG is dealing on Nobody is Listening! Life is good and the popcorn machine is up and running on full speed!

Pamela Dianne says:
          June 22, 2019 at 14:31
          Oh, someone’s miffed. And multiple accounts to control a narrative.

*is there a Tony in the house?*.

1. Violetta says:

All I could think of was Maria singing “Tony, Tony,” in West Side Story, which was parodied in The Producers as Roger DeBris contemplates winning a Tony if he directs Springtime for Hitler.

I googled Tony Robbins and he looks like a used car dealer.

“Nobody is Listening”? Let me head over there now!

2. Violetta says:

Whoa …where’s Tamara?

3. truthseeker6157 says:

You can tell me to mind my own business if you want. But who are Tamara Pamela and Tony? The Witches of Eastwick? I’m so lost 😂

You do not need to know, believe me.

3. K says:

Violetta
          Hahahaha…I was thinking of putting in an order. Here’s another “Tony” Thread.