Meghan Markle : A Less Than Royal Narcissist : Part : The Queen Responds

40 thoughts on “Meghan Markle : A Less Than Royal Narcissist : Part : The Queen Responds

1. Michelle says:

Hi, HG. I’m curious how the public reaction to the interview plays into Meghan’s fuel supply. I know that in the UK, favorability ratings for both Meghan and Harry declined after the interview. My relatives in the UK can’t stand either of them. But here in the US, the story is quite different. In American magazines and social media, Meghan is being hailed as a hero. Most of my own Facebook friends, who lean predominantly left, believe that Meghan is the real victim here, and that the Queen’s response was dowdy, old-fashioned, and certainly not “woke” enough to show any real contrition for the “horrible” racism of the royal family. They find that Meghan’s story validates their own perceptions of the world.

Meghan must be keenly aware that she has turned the tide of public opinion in the US strongly against the royal family. I’ve even read that some Commonwealth countries are considering independence in light of the interview. This must equate to some level of control for Meghan . . . right? It seems to me that the Queen is a bit hamstrung by her inability to offer much more than this statement, while Meghan can and will say anything she wants about the BRF — and people WILL believe her. Is that not a position of power?

How does this play out, should Meghan continue her smear campaign against the family? Clearly they aren’t going anywhere and won’t lower themselves to her level, but in the US anyway, Meghan’s tantrums seem to be growing her popularity and credibility, not the other way around.

2. lickemtomorrow says:

Interesting point, AV. My understanding is that stepping back from Royal duties means you are voluntarily giving up some of the perks that go with it. Much like what would happen in any role where you decide to do the same. I don’t find anything unusual in that. There seems to have been a gradual process involved as the couple further decided to leave the country and move overseas. Where it was described as a “stripping”, I see it more as a “giving up” (in terms of Royal duties and perks) and a natural progression related to a voluntary decision to lessen their profile, and therefore decisions made seem to align with protocol. If you put it in that context, there can be no grievance as it is a choice the couple made. Unless you want to have your cake and eat it, too. And that might be the rub. They wanted to step back but still retain the perks. Such as Palace protection which seemed to be a big gripe in the circumstances. I think this all goes to lack of accountability when it comes to the narcissist. Meghan (and Harry as her extension) don’t want to be held accountable for their actions. Also a sense of entitlement. Basically, we are entitled to these things even if we are not willing to fulfill the duties required of us. There was also the issue of Archie’s title, Meghan claiming she didn’t care about it, but saying he was entitled to it. What is the beef there? It’s been explained and Meghan said she knew it was tied to protocol, yet she still made an issue out of it. It reminds me of HGs article “I Want”. That one was an exhausting read when you consider the demands of the narcissist. In that sense, I have the feeling there is no pleasing her. And in many ways she made that clear. She cannot be pleased with their move and the freedom it has presented them, their million dollar lifestyle and bank account, their healthy family unit with another baby on the way. She still needs to find something to gripe about to engender pity from others while painting herself as the victim and martyr. She is a typical mid-range narcissist with all the accompanying behaviours that go with that. I don’t want to lose sight of the fact we are talking about narcissism here. And also the fact she is unaware as HG explains. Her gripes to her are real, despite the many ways her perspective around them could be questioned. This has always been my frustration with lower echelon narcissists. And many people are still unaware of the fact narcissism lies at the bottom of this. HG makes clear it’s not about liking or disliking – even though many of the narcissists he puts under the Tudorscope people find incredibly dislikeable – but more about coming to a better understanding around narcissism and how it presents in the world. I’ve been quite open in saying I find a lot to admire about Taylor Swift even though I know she is a Greater Narcissist. I said that before I knew about her narcissism and I still say it now. Many people dislike her thoroughly, including my own daughter. I won’t turn my back on Taylor in terms of liking much of her music just because I know that. I feel quite compassionate towards her in many ways in the circumstances. She touches on areas in her music which resonate with me. There may be people who find they resonate with Meghan Markle in some respects and what she represents. I think the most important thing, at least here and for me, is gaining an awareness around narcissism and the need to recognize it in others and in certain situations. That way we don’t fall into the trap of the narcissist and their manipulations which we know can be very damaging.

1. A Victor says:

Hi LET,
      My comment was not intended to distract from the NPD focus of this series. The piece “meaning at least some see her as a potential concern?” actually was an intentional reference toward this. I just don’t know much at all about the RF or the protocols they have.

Your sentence “Unless you want to have your cake and eat it, too. And that might be the rub. They wanted to step back but still retain the perks.” is what I see also and it does show an absolutely narcissistic bent to her behavior.

I have hoped, as it sounds like you do, that this series would bring more attention to NPD and the effects it has had and continues to have in our world. I have also appreciated your view of this situation as one who does have much more knowledge and understanding about how the RF functions. Thank you for your patience with that.

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Hi AV, I’m sorry if my comment about NPD came across the wrong way there, and I think I was trying to reel myself back in from getting distracted with the topic at hand! I’ve been quite wordy on this one and probably can look at her actions logically outside of the NPD. Which means, in some way, I’m distracting from the ultimate source of them. Maybe giving her too much credit for acting outside of what is ultimately driving her. I understand now you meant that others might have seen her narcissism for what it was and hence the reason for any concern. I do wonder if William and Kate had an inkling of this as William certainly was warning his brother very early on.

I think a lot of people would be confused about Royal protocols and no doubt the interview has highlighted some of those. A lot of people were probably shocked to learn she had to curtsy to the Queen even though she was Prince Harry’s girlfriend at the time. What??!! (to quote Oprah). Who curtsy’s to their future MIL?! That should have been warning enough to Meghan that there were protocols in place which might not suit her mindset. I think in her sense of grandiosity she thought she could challenge and even change some of those. Her NPD made her naieve, not her lack of awareness around the Royal family (which is turning out to be an utter and complete lie at this stage).

And I appreciate your patience with me, AV 🙂 I’ve ranted and raved on this one quite a bit, and am grateful to HG for informing us around the issues as well as allowing us to let off some steam in the circumstances. There is so much about that interview that needs clarification and especially how a lot of it can be tied to narcissism. It truly is educational.

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Oops, make that *Grandmother in law – GIL!*

2. A Victor says:

Absolutely educational LET, no need to apologize! I have sensed this is emotional for you! I only take it that you love the Royal Family and hate seeing them treated the way Meghan has been treating them. I have learned a lot about narcissism and also some very interesting things about the RF, it’s all good. For example, I had no idea William tried to warn Harry. And I would expect to be curtsying, I believe Michelle Obama had to, so I would expect it. Meghan’s narcissism likely didn’t like doing it though. And I think you’re correct, she thought she could change some things, or that they would be changed for her. In any event, your “rants” have been informative and I’ve appreciated them! 💕

2. WhoCares says:

LET,

A great comment, very thoughtful.

This is so on point:

“I have the feeling there is no pleasing her. And in many ways she made that clear. She cannot be pleased with their move and the freedom it has presented them, their million dollar lifestyle and bank account, their healthy family unit with another baby on the way. She still needs to find something to gripe about to engender pity from others while painting herself as the victim and martyr.”

And this so took me back to my own entanglement…for the life of me I couldn’t fathom how – after I left my job to be able to spend more time as a family, after we up and moved far to a more quiet community and a simpler life (that checked all the boxes: independence, small supportive community, relaxed lifestyle, close to nature, etc.) – he could find more and more things to gripe about.
      Actually, I did eventually figure it out in looking back: for him it didn’t matter what city or town it was, what job or line of work, what good life circumstance befell us – it was never enough or right enough or good enough.
      But then I figured out that there was one common denominator through all of it: him. According to HG’s predictions it is unlikely that Harry will be so lucky to have this realization.

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Thank you, WC, I really appreciate that <3

It's so interesting you can make the comparison to your ex, and in a way to help more people understand how that works. Each time the bar is set higher and satisfaction never ensues. Like jumping through hoops, which is exactly how HG describes the behaviour of the narcissist. You did everything you could, and I like the way you describe your ex as being the "common denominator" when you boiled it all down. That can take a while, but eventually you were able to see through it and I've no doubt it took a tremendous toll on you all. I'm so glad you managed to make your escape x

I haven't listened to HGs predictions yet, but how unfortunate for Harry if he never realizes the position she has put him in and ultimately how to make his escape. If that's the case there are no happy endings for this Prince it seems. How sad 🙁

3. leelasfuelstinks says:

Oh I see, lots of discussions about the royals. Urm. As this totally runs against my values, let me just say “Hi everybody” and that I´m looking forward to our next discussions 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. Fiddleress says:

Bah, Leela, quand même! Tu nous fais quoi, là? Are you doing your French impersonation or something?? 😉
      I am far from being a royalist, but I find that the current, general scrutiny of and comments on the royal couple and the Royal Family are interesting if you view them as universally relevant, an analysis of human temper and more particularly in this instance of NPD at work. These famous people are just a conduit for the analyses, which give a pratical illustration of narcissism (and of an empath).
      And quite frankly, I have no issues with the British Royal Family, that is not my place.
      Moreover of course, HG’s videos on this topic are just as excellent and full of humour; I wouldn’t want to deprive myself of this pleasure.
      This is also why Shakespeare is still relevant today: because his plays portray universal human experiences, even when the protagonists are Royals.
      And I just love his historical plays above.

See you round, then x

4. WiserNow says:

The Queen’s response was interesting in a number of ways. Thank you HG for your analysis of it. It’s actually fascinating how this entire real-life drama is playing out.

HG,
    You stated in the video that “the Queen is not a narcissist, and therefore she exhibits emotional empathy”. In your view, is the Queen a ‘normal’ or an ’empath’, going by your definitions of these two things? You may have already answered this on narcsite before, and if you have, I’m sorry to ask the question. I haven’t heard or read you specifically describe the Queen as one or the other.

It’s interesting to hear HG’s interpretation of the Queen’s response. In some ways, I can see that HG is reading it in the way a narcissist would. That is, a narcissist can recognise the empathic sentiment and knows it conveys empathy, however, the way that empathy is ‘understood’ or related to, by a narcissist, is in a self-interested or dry context, i.e. it either is or isn’t fuel.

When I read the statement, before listening to HG’s analysis, the last line especially made me interpret the words in a particular way.

“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

This is an empathic statement. It talks of ‘much love’ and ‘family’ and it’s very sentimental. When I first read these words, it made me think it was direct and strong, and also that there was a complete finality and also inclusiveness stated in the words. The statement includes Harry, Meghan and Archie. It makes a point not to exclude, diminish or ostracise any of them. It also says “will always be much loved”. This makes me think the Royal Family is saying that whatever Meghan or Harry say, do, suggest, imply, argue, publicise, etc etc, will not change the standing fact that the three of them will ‘always’ be welcome and loved as part of the family.

There is a concreteness about it. Also, a kind of “don’t mess with my family, because you won’t get your way” kind of undertone about it. I think the Queen knows very well what Meghan is up to and is saying in a short, succinct sentence that basically, it won’t work.

I remember at certain times during conversations, my mother used to say things like, “you love your father more than you love me, don’t you?” or “well, you wouldn’t say/do that if you loved me as much as you love your father” etc. She was triangulating and trying to bait me to provoke me to say something she’d probably use against me in one way or another. As a child and also as an adult child, her questioning didn’t compute in my mind because I genuinely loved them both and when you love someone, I thought, you don’t love them a ‘little bit’, or ‘more or less than’.. if it’s a parent, I thought, you simply love them for who they are. It’s like being pregnant, you either are or you aren’t, you can’t be a little bit pregnant, or pregnant today and then not pregnant tomorrow. So, I consistently used to say, “I love you both” or “there is no reason for me to love one of you more than I love the other”. Of course, I didn’t know about narcissism back then and I had a different perspective on ‘love’ and ‘family’.

I can see the same kind of emotional response in the Queen’s statement about always loving them all as part of the family. The Queen is saying that this latest interview or any future provocation will not change her views.

It’s also interesting that the Queen has replied *at all* to this public mainstream entertainment “interview”, and that she has used words like ‘saddened’, ‘challenging’ and ‘much loved’. Back in the time when Diana was very publicly critical of the Queen and the Royal Family, the Palace did not respond and was generally silent, while doing things like removing her title or security, or making statements that were about professional duties, etc. Back then, the Palace was even more traditionally conservative and ‘proper’ in a ‘stiff upper lip’, ‘don’t show any emotional response’ kind of way. Then, when Diana died and there was a huge outpouring of public grief, the Queen was strongly condemned by the public for being hostile and harsh to Diana. Since then, the Palace has changed its attitude and is now more open and accessible. I think this reply is a short and sweet example.

HG,
    In your opinion, or from what you have researched, who do you think initiated the Oprah interview? Who reached out to whom about the idea of Harry and Meghan appearing on TV and being interviewed by Oprah? I would like to know if this ‘television event’ was first conceptualised by Oprah’s people or by the royal couple.

5. Anna says:

The response from the Queen is so classy: concise, educated but cut-throat and straight to the point. I guess that’s the best way to deal with a narcissist, we should take example from her. (Were I come from, royalty is not like this at all). Do you think the Queen knows that MM is a narcissist?

6. Bubbles 🍾 says:

Dear Mr Tudor,
    A very class act from the Queen, I wouldn’t expect any less!
    Your breakdown on how it would be received from Meghan is very interesting indeed
    It appears she’s redirected her controlling powers to Piers Morgan and so it continues . . .
    Thank you for your superb expertise once again
    Luv Bubbles xx 😘

7. Dolores Haze says:

Her Majesty’s statement was a masterclass in what is known as “connecting parenting”. Fellow parents might be aware of this popular concept. It’s where diplomacy meets child psychology, if you will. Basically it’s how I would react to my kid having a full fledged tantrum in a public space, kicking and screaming, calling me names and making sure everyone hears how I’m the worst mother ever. The trick here is to connect to the underlying cause of distress rather than react to hurtful words and behavior. What needs to be done is acknowledge the distress, take the child away to a private safe place and confirm that he is loved no matter the behavior. “I believe you that something about this situation is really tricky and upsetting for you. As your parent, it’s my job to keep you safe so I’m taking you away from the public place. You’re a good kid having a hard time. I love you.”

8. lickemtomorrow says:

The Queen has put a lid on it, and it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. Apparently not all of the interview was aired so there may be some re-editing of the second part going on in the background as we speak. They re-edited the initial interview to facilitate some developments which had occurred in the meantime (stripping of Royal Patronages). At this stage I wouldn’t put anything past Markle and her need for control and fuel. Or Harry in his stupefied, ensnared state.

1. A Victor says:

I had the impression that some of the “stripping” that has occurred is likely proactive to keep her power from rising, meaning at least some see her as a potential concern? Or is it typical in a situation such as this?

9. Fiddleress says:

Thank you very much for this video, HG; I was all chuffed to hear you confirm what I thought would be the effect of the Queen’s response on Meghan. When I read: “some recollections may vary”, I thought “uh, oh! MM won’t like that at all” – same with : “will be addressed by the family *privately*” : this at least is dignified, as the communication from Royals should be. Washing their dirty linen in public (on TV for the world to hear, for God’s sake!), as Meghan did and got Harry to do too, is really cheap.
    Haha, HG, here’s me engrossed in the Royal Family now, fancy that!
    Because of your “Very Royal” series, I even took a one-month subscription to Netflix just to watch The Crown! And I loved it.

1. A Victor says:

Is The Crown an accurate depiction of the royal family?

No, it is a television series. Of course certain events clearly took place but nobody knows the intricacies of the conversations that took place, it is an interpretation and the problem is many people think it is a documentary when it is not, it is a form of entertainment. It is well done as a form of entertainment.

1. A Victor says:

Thank you.

10. Horseyak says:

Excellent, as always. Along with the rest of Meghan’s detestable efforts to smear a family that pulled her out of a career as a pretty much of an obscure B minus/ actress, is, to me at least, the additionally detestable act of putting a ninety-five year old woman whose 99 year old husband is fighting for his life in the hospital through all this shit. ( sorry for the run-on sentence). Canadian commentator Mark Steyn said yesterday that the Queen, who has survived much worse things than this will easily triumph.

Has it occurred to any Meghan advocate out there that if the Queen were truly a racist, she would have probably blocked the marriage from the get-go?

1. Asp Emp says:

Horseyak, your words “the Queen, who has survived much worse things than this will easily triumph” – she is an intelligent woman, I suspect she saw right through Meghan but let them get on with it and deal with s**t when it hits the fan, which is what is happening right now.

1. Horseyak says:

I feel feel for her and was heartened when HG confirmed that she was NOT a narcissist. I suspect Camilla is though, but that’s a topic for another time.

1. Asp Emp says:

Is Camilla worth any time writing about? 😉

1. Violetta says:

Camilla’s kind of fun. There’s actually footage of her edging away from Meghan’s standard overfamiliar attempts at conversation while muttering, “Help. Help.”

11. Alexissmith2016 says:

“If you think you’ll make me feel guilty, you won’t” love it

12. Duchessbea says:

HG, I saw the American Journalist and Television Presenter Megyn Kelly, being interviewed on BBC earlier. She, I thought gave some great comments regarding Meghan,Harry and Oprah interview. She also did not believe Meghan, saying that Meghan was unaware of how she sounded and giving information to Oprah, but not backing that information up with the facts. Megyn Kelly also backed Piers Morgan, saying that he is entitled to give his opinion and that there was nothing wrong in what he said. It was his opinion.
    HG, there is quite a lot to be spoken about in videos and to be broken down. Fair play, you have covered the interview from Meghan and Harry side and from the Royal side. I would love to hear your opinion and your impression in detail on Oprah, Harry and Piers Morgan. The fact that some of the people, are unaware of what they are, but more importantly as the Greater Narcissist yourself, where and what way do you see things will play out with Meghan and Harry. Will they still be as relevant and in the news, say this time next year, or do you think they will fade into the background.
    Loving this series.
    Thank you HG.

1. Asp Emp says:

Hello Duchessbea, thank you for sharing the info RE: Megyn Kelly. It was interesting to read (but not surprising).

“fade into the background” – I do not think any of this ‘saga’ will end any time soon, never mind this time next year. The question is, whether Harry will approach and have a consult with HG (on the quiet, obviously). No doubt, HG’s videos on this ‘saga’ will reach the ears of the RF whether directly or indirectly.

Piers Morgan will be ok, he is a survivor and Megsie will not ‘sue’ him for speaking out his opinions about her – when there is so many many other people doing the same thing. Her mental health “issues” – pah!

1. Violetta says:

I wonder if Harry would agree to a consult if the Angels arranged it. Obviously, he can afford it (if Megsy hasn’t run through everything Diana left him already), but he won’t do it unless somebody gives him a nudge.
        We could chip in on a gift card.
        😉

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

Violetta,

I see where you are going with this. A bit like the ‘Free Britney’ movement but with a regal twist.

2. Asp Emp says:

Violetta, TBH I think Harry is quite a way off from getting to the point of getting ‘support’ from anyone – too much going on at the same time at present. Harry can afford it, nice idea about the AAF though.

3. Z - zwartbolleke says:

Hahahahaha Violetta!

2. A Victor says:

I just saw an interview of Nigel Farraj, that was very interesting, a political commentator’s perspective from the UK side of it. He asked for Americans to wait to hear both sides, said she straight up lied about many things but specifically the fact that Harry and Archie would have protection as members of the royal family. And also that the RF has done more for people of color than probably any other family that has ever lived. Oh yes, and that the people want the titles stripped, not only the family. It was very informative and interesting. He didn’t go so far as to say narcissist but he did call out the lies and the supposed mental issues. Once the symptoms of narcissism are more widely known (go HG!), people will likely start to realize when they see these signs and know what they’re dealing with. We can hope anyway.

1. Violetta says:

Farage can be very entertaining. Watch his takedown of Rompuys on YT.

13. Truthseeker6157 says:

Yes, the response from Her Majesty the Queen was interesting. I thought the penultimate line was a little dig too. The issues will be addressed ‘privately by the family’. ‘Privately’ yes not in an Oprah interview but also ‘by the family’. My family, THE family, of which you are clearly no longer part.

I thought Harry looked angry throughout most of the interview. I’m not sure if that was frustration at being placed by Markle in that position, ie between a rock and hard place, or if it was residual frustration at the way he had been cut off financially. Difficult to say but he read as ‘petulant’ in my view. If men are down or struggling with depression, they are also more predisposed to showing it as anger, being short tempered or more aggressive. Could be that too. Either way he did not look happy and at peace to me, he looked like someone holding a gun unable to work out who the enemy is.

Apparently Markle contacted ITV to complain about Piers Morgan’s comments about her. Thought she didn’t read the press? Perhaps another concerned friend told her about them, or, perhaps her finger accidentally slipped and she googled by mistake.

As an aside, I have to say Piers has been great value. I have enjoyed his comments and his unfiltered approach as regards Markle. Princess Pinocchio ha ha! Not quite a Pet name but it certainly hits the mark.

This is just going to run and run. People in glass houses and all that. Threats to control will come in on all sides. Poor Meghan is going to be plain worn out. Let’s hope they remembered to pay their Disney Channel subscription.

1. Asp Emp says:

TS, you made me laugh at your sarky “perhaps her finger accidentally slipped and she googled by mistake”. Of course she is keeping ‘up to date’ on everything! She has to. It’s the narcissist paranoia.

14. Duchessbea says:

Excellent HG. Thank you.

15. Asp Emp says:

HG, it was good to see your explanations to clarify some points that some people are not quite ‘getting it’ ie about narcissism, other topics surrounding Meghan and the Royal Family. It is good to also see you offer a ‘reminder’ that people can either approach your work with an open mind or otherwise.

Laughing…. “wild conspiracy theories”……. (OMG, I’ve just seen a pig flying past my window 😉 ).

I liked your description about ‘dampening down’ of ’emotional empathy’ “for the purposes of professionalism”.

It was saddening to read what you said about Harry and the difficult situation he finds himself in because of his emotional thinking and who he is.

(16:07) “it’s far easier just to agree with the perpetrator” – I can totally understand and relate to these words, having been a life-long victim of narcissistic abuse.

Despite my not being an avid fan of the Royal Family, I do respect what and how the Queen is responding – in a professional manner, as she always has done her role as a Monarch. Kudos to her.

Oh, dearie me, Megsie, the World is watching you.

HG, thank you for providing an update on this unfortunate yet gripping ‘saga’. I look forward to future updates on these.

16. A Victor says:

It feels like narcissists are always dissecting every single thing, and from their different perspective, of course, and with lightening speed. Given all of this, how are we ever to stay ahead of it? Keep learning here and realize that time, a huge slowing of time, is necessary when involved with a new person. It makes HG’s work that much more valuable and necessary to me personally and also to the masses, hopefully, asap.

The fact that MM’s dad is a narcissist explains her distaste for them as well.

The Queen is a wise woman, her statement is perfection. Does the Queen know what Meghan is? Perhaps it wouldn’t have changed her response either way. But if Meghan wasn’t a narcissist, a response would likely have been unnecessary to begin with.

1. A Victor says:

“explains her distaste for him* (her dad)”

Some encouraging news is that I actually picked up on the wounding/challenge in that part of the response! Exciting, I’m learning something! 🙂