The Mockery of Mimicry

THE MOCKERY OF MIMICRY

I love to copy. I have to copy. It is all I have known for as long as I can remember. It is my natural setting to mimic those around me. I have to fit in, I have to belong and the most effective way for me to achieve this is to replicate everything that I come into contact with. If I interact with an esteemed academic I will listen to his or her achievements and then pass those off as my own as I peel away their glittering accolades and apply them to myself.

Should I spend time with an exceptional sporting individual then their record-breaking endeavours will be purloined for my benefit and sported as my own in furtherance of my own belief in my exceptional ability. Author? Yes I have written books too. Model? Yes I do some modelling from time to time. Chef? You should try my signature dish, it is heavenly. Everyone I have dealings with presents me with an opportunity to copy an element of their personality. character or personae so that I may then present it as my own and in so doing I shine brighter and become an even more attractive prospect to those whose lives I effortlessly infiltrate.

This skill at mimicry enables me to ghost in and out of people’s lives. I know the social norms which are applicable and through careful examination and application I am able to pass as one just like you. I am a facsimile of a decent, personable and engaging individual and this allows me access to my targets without raising any alarms. My veneer of respectability has been fashioned from all those that I engage with, gathering patches, fragments, shards and pieces until they are hewn together and I drape it about me allowing me to come and go as I please.

It is however with you that I exhibit the astonishing mimicry of which I am a master. Once I have selected you as my target I have learned much about you already. With what will eventually be recognised as alarming ease, I replicate a fondness for all those things which you like and a distaste for all those things that you dislike.

Think back and you will readily recall how I love horse-riding just as you did, that I enjoyed swimming in open water just like you and my passion for the works of Geoffrey Chaucer matched yours. Those interests which were close to you became interests that were close to me.

Your appreciation of an excellent bottle of Chateau Margaux was matched by my ability to remember the applicable tasting notes and recite them to you as if it was my own appreciation. I would mimic the way you sat, copying your body language because I know, from extensive practice that this paves the way to bonding with you. I would mimic your speech patterns to form a sub-conscious link between us.

I liked blue because you liked blue. I found listening to soul music an offence to my ears but I maintained a false enjoyment of it since you liked it so much. I actually enjoy choosing from the Crustacea bar but your dislike of seafood meant that I too turned lobster and oysters away. How often did you remark aloud, to me or to your friends,

“We have so much in common.”

“We like so many of the same things it is wonderful.”

“We share so many interests, I love it.”

“We are so well matched. On every level. We really are soulmates.”

Of course we are. I made it so because I wanted to be everything you wanted. I took your  long list of likes and dislikes, your catalogue of loves and hates and your grimoire of hopes and fears and I copied each and every page. I am a walking photocopier and I copied everything you wanted in order to ensure that my seduction of you was successful, encompassing and absolute.

Yet, my astonishing powers of mimicry did not end there. Goodness me no, there was more yet to come. In a particularly unpleasant twist to this malevolent skill of mine I would mimic your responses to my devaluation of you but this time it would not be a complete facsimile, I would make a slight change to my copying so that you would be undermined even further.

When you stood there crying with frustration and I drank deep of the delicious fuel you provided me, I would raise my hands to my eyes and draw pretend tears on my cheeks and make a sobbing noise to humiliate you further. Here I was letting you know that I copied everything that went before yet now I copy again but not with the perfection I once exhibited.

I allow the sting of sarcasm and the malicious mockery to infiltrate my copying of your behaviour so that your hurt and bewilderment was increased. You would shout at me and I would shout back using the exact words before standing and laughing at you as you burned with frustration, unable to find any response. You might stamp your feet in exasperation and I would do the same but with a leer of disdain writ large across my face.

There were times when you would scream. A terrified scream as my vicious manipulations would take their toll and as you tried to curl into a ball and hope you might just disappear and escape this nightmare, I would lean in close to you and mimic your scream into your ear, creating this fabricated falsetto of distress in order to further your own. Every reaction to my devaluation of you had the potential to be met by a mimicked reply from me in order to further your misery and demonstrate I did not treat your responses with any sincerity or concern.

I am the master of mimicry, the king of copying and the duke of duplication.

I am a walking and talking photocopier machine.

I put the rank in Rank Xerox.

10 thoughts on “The Mockery of Mimicry

1. Violetta says:

Speaking of which , someone posted this image on a blog:

At least we know Harry’s wife has read something besides biographies of Diana.

Btw, the book is copyrighted 2016, which means she could have had these ideas in her head before the ring was even on her finger.

1. Asp Emp says:

Violetta, thank you for sharing that…..it’s brilliant!

2. lickemtomorrow says:

I’ve never seen a woman grip her belly so much while she was pregnant. Collated videos even show her purposefully pushing back her coat so the cameras could catch her bump! It’s actually quite sickening to watch, reeking of an element of possession (i.e. ownership) but also the typical ‘look at me’ element of narcissism. That’s an interesting link considering alot of people are suspect of her ever being pregnant with either of her children. Lots of consiparcy theories out there which I remember happening with other odd celebrities, too (e.g. Beyonce). I’m not sure what to think, simply because she is such a practised liar and at this point I wouldn’t put anything past her. The RF covering it up, though, could be going a step too far. It would make them complicit. What has she got on the RF? Occasionally I wonder.

1. Violetta says:

LET:

I don’t know how much the RF knows. MM was secretive about hospitals, doctor appointments, dates, documentation, etc. I suspect at that point the RF wasn’t prepared for how far she would go for the classic normal/empath reason that they couldn’t imagine going so far themselves!

One suggestion I’ve seen is she was pregnant, but used a bump because she wasn’t far along enough to get the attention she needed. Being an actress with no discernible devotion to her craft, she didn’t bother looking up the proper sizes for each trimester. Perhaps, mid-range narc-fashion, she expected no one to notice, just as she never notices when her claims contradict each other.

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Violetta, I can’t get over how secrective she has been, and also the fact she was allowed to get away with it. In many respects the RF is public property and accept that certain details need to be shared with the public, both in order to remain relevant and also because they are supported to a certain extent by the taxpayer. In other words, the public is entitled to a certain amount of information. It is THEIR monarchy. The evil one (Harry’s wife) turned all that on it’s head. My only thought is the RF indulged her because she was less experienced and they wanted to make it work. Hence the fact it was only recently bullying allegations against her were made known. I believe they have covered up for her, indulged her, and tried to keep the peace. Now they are reaping the consequences of that.

Interesting about the size of the bump. I think I was more focused on the fact she kept drawing attention to it. One of the videos I saw compared her and Catherine, and how they ‘handled’ their bumps. You can guess the difference. No pregnant woman I know would constantly be pawing her belly as some kind of proof that she’s pregnant. Unless, maybe, she is a narcissist.

And on a triumphant note, Piers Morgan has been cleared by Ofcom for remarks he made concerning Harry’s wife and her Oprah interview. This will surely set the cat among the pigeons 😉

3. Sweetest Perfection says:

That’s a great observation, Violetta. The two images are copy and paste. Btw, how did you embed them so perfectly? The whole article reminds me of a quote from Fight Club: “This is how it is with insomnia. Everything is so far away, a copy of a copy of a copy.” Narcs definitely need to sleep more!!

1. Violetta says:

SP:
        I used the “open image in separate tab” function.

2. Asp Emp says:

It is effectively a ‘chameleon’ guided by their instincts, sometimes in a primal survival ‘mode’, depending on circumstance (who, how) and environment (where, what). Chameleons tend to change colour to fit in with their environment and protect themselves from predators, yet, narcissists do not always behave as such, ie ‘fit in’ to show they are the nice guy, ie MRN, then again, their narcissism may be doing this as a form of ‘protection’ against what the narcissism ‘views’ as a ‘threat’ to their control. Hence the ‘mimicry’ effect, on occasion. Similar to that of social interaction ‘cues’.

Having said that, a child learns by observing others and more often than not, do similar by ‘mimicking’ others. A child would do this instinctively without actually understanding the behaviours / words from a cognitive point of view. This can be likened to a narcissist’s perception differentiating from those that are non-narcissists because of the ‘prism’ effect (seeing the same image but from a different, or even distorted angle). A child may also be ‘experiencing’ similar ‘prism’ perceptions until they, have developed understanding (through learning) of ‘social cues’, whether that child becomes a narcissist, or not.

Personally, I would say that, I also ‘mimicked’ others when I was younger, to learn how to pronounce certain words because Deaf people do not always hear the spoken sounds, so they may ‘mimic’ the lip movements silently to themselves or say it out loud to see if it ‘sounds’ the same.

Some people with different neurological pathways may also do mimicry. Some people may have neurological conditions that can ‘mimic’ other conditions, leading to potential misdiagnosis.

RE: “I am the master of mimicry, the king of copying and the duke of duplication. I am a walking and talking photocopier machine. I put the rank in Rank Xerox”……. White tiger springs to my mind. Miaow, miaow, growl, purring…..

3. Joa says:

Carbon paper.

Words. Gestures. Sense of humor. Views. A way of life.

He needed it badly. I guess … more than fuel.

But especially … he copied my confidence. And he went further into the world.

PS I really dislike the copy of his mother in it. These old-fashioned phrases and well-worn sentences. I was disgusted 🙂

So Wrong