Little Acons – No. 9

SHOW MERESPECT

A series of memes which encapsulates the mind set of the narcissistic parent towards their child result in the creation of the Adult Child of a Narcissist.

18 thoughts on “Little Acons – No. 9

1. thepianist20 says:

SHOW ME RESPECT!!!

CUZ I’M FREAKING ENTITLED TO IT!!!!!

2. Sillyolperson says:

Dear Mr Tudor,
    My mum uses the excuse that her mum was a “strict disciplinarian” and “quick tempered” and “so that’s how I was was brought up” (she hated her mum) and “that’s just how it was in those days”! They didn’t say “show me respect” , “they demanded it”. I said “you dont have to be like your mum”! My brother and I fled home at 15! We’d had enough! I actually asked my mum “if you didn’t want us kids, why didn’t you put us up for adoption ?” She’s still thinking! She’s now saying “sorry” for being such a bad mother! Well, that’s a start! She even said “I hope you can at least think of some nice things about your mum” after I’m gone!
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

3. narc affair says:

Show me a good dentist 😄

4. Erin says:

Ah, the hypocrisy…Demanding respect when they never give any to their offspring.

1. Windstorm2 says:

Erin
      Yes. They want respect, but don’t give it. My mother was always using religion to justify her behavior. One day she used Colossians 3:20, “children obey your parents in all things.” I looked it up in the Bible and the very next verse is, “Provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.” I asked her, “Have you read the next verse? There’s a “not” in it you must have missed. If you start doing your part, I might try doing mine.”

1. K says:

Nice comeback WS2! Booyah!

1. Windstorm2 says:

Thanks K. I was much more sarcastic at 16. 😄

1. K says:

Welcome WS2. When I was a teen I spoke sarcasm fluently.

2. Ratatoskerin says:

I love that response! Use their own weapons against them.

3. Lori says:

Awesome Windstorm2!

5. Windstorm2 says:

Ha, ha! Children showing respect to their elders was preached all the time in my family growing up. I just thought that was normal, but when I think about it – I never really said that to my children. I was much more likely to tell them to be kind or to think of how their behavior made others feel. My daughter (super empath) often tells her children to show respect, but it’s to “respect other people’s feelings.” Maybe “show me respect” was always just one of the signs of a narc.

I mean really when you think about it, if you have to tell someone to show you respect – you really don’t deserve respect (or you’re talking to a narcissist! 😝).

1. K says:

I agree WS2.

2. narc affair says:

Hi windstorm.. i liked the second part about treating your children right to not discourage them. Thats the thing with religion passages can be taken and used for a persons benefit without reading the whole passage. To get respect you have to show respect. True respect that is and not respect out of fear. Thats false respect.

3. Lori says:

“or you’re talking to a narcissist!” hits me hard. I was constantly telling him he had to be more respectful even after I showed by example what that looks like…. He was never respectful and then he would yell at me for not being respectful to him. How can someone so intelligent (he had a PhD in aeronautic engineering with a few patents under his belt) and yet be so emotionally stupid?!

1. Windstorm2 says:

Lori
        It’s back to that lack of empathy. They really have no idea what we are feeling. Even the ones with cognitive empathy have to think about it and may be wrong. They are really emotion blind like some people are colorblind.
        It’s like asking of a colorblind person – “how can you not see that this flower is red?” And he’s thinking, “I do see it!” as he looks at the flower, but to him it appears grey.

2. K says:

Lori
        All my narcs have low emotional IQs, even the smart ones. It works well, because it guarantees them a fuel income.

6. Becky says:

“Do something worth respecting.” Is what I used to say to her and she would wail, arms flailing, “What kind of a daughter speaks that way to her own mother?!”

7. K says:

I was too defiant to show respect so I got yelled at, threatened or hit quite a bit.

Smeared