Understanding Word Salad

UNDERSTANDING WORD SALAD

What is word salad?

Why do narcissists use it?

What does it sound like?

How do you deal with it?

This provides you with a comprehensive example of word salad and then detailed explanations about its use and how you may tackle it.

Toss the word salad here

9 thoughts on “Understanding Word Salad

1. HOPE says:

So True HG! My Narc would , twist, turn, flip the conversation to where I couldn’t even think straight! Like a tossed salad. It was a vicious circle that never had resolution. He would tell me I needed to see a Pschyotrist when questioning him! I was trying to understand but it was a vicious circle. He never admitted to any wrong doing! I felt crazy at times I was so confused! He would also tell me “Don’t say we. It’s not we! When I questioned being pushed away, now I know it as the “derailment stage”, according to him I was the problem..called me crazy, jealous, paranoid. Well he divorced me after 30 years of marriage. Your articles have proven to me I was definitely dealing with a narcisitic husband. I was miserable in the marriage but hung in there in the name of family.
    Life is different now, but no more tossed salad! Thank-you for sharing and helping me understand that type of person he was which has given me fuel and strength to move forward. No contact now for over a year!

2. KellyD says:

In an argument, narc would pick one word that I said in anger and use that one word to derail the argument and set it in the opposite direction to where I am to blame. Alternatively, when the argument got heated he’d abruptly say, I’m over it. Meaning the discussion is done, because he’s losing. You are so right HG. One can never win with the narc.
    I love a good steak, but I’d so love a spicy margarita at this time. 🍸

3. sabine1968 says:

excellent! “My” ex mid range narcissist was very good in this….but not enough for me…..Of course, I will not supply you with emotional but intellectual fuel and may help us (yeah, us and not only you 😉 ) in building up the knowledge of narcissism in the German and Spanish speaking areas….I do not expect any answer from you…..

4. deniseisdone says:

Loved this!! So informative but your last comment made me smile – too sarcastic but true also! Thank you!!!

5. Kathleen says:

Excellent HG- this is a good one that many people trapped in a confusing relationship don’t get.
    I remember several times thinking wow… This person is really not just a manipulator but crazy. Like what you said just made no sense at all. And there’s nothing to say in return and less you want to go down some sort of a rat hole of argument.This was during my period of long disengagement. I had emotionally really been checking out but- I was addicted to the good times. The going out on activities and having someone to have dinner with and to sleep with-but The craziness just outweighed the benefits it was killing me. But wow -I think it’s used when they feel that they are exposed as lying or wrong or That they don’t know when answer to something…and it’s a defense mechanism to throw you off. Our favorite disgusting President Trump is an expert at it well he uses it all the time-But it seems like his is being mixed with actual mental decline… Romaine with a sprinkling of dementia -Covered in molasses

6. WokeAF says:

Hi Hg
    Ok I never really understood this before but I think I grasp it now.

Is word salad employed by only narcissists, or do empaths use it?

If empaths use it, why?

Have you read any comments by me recently that was word salad?

Thanks