No Contact Suicide – Part Two
I have explained previously that there are two guaranteed ways by which you will cause your no contact regime to be breached. The first method is as a consequence of you contacting us first, where we anticipate that you will make that contact with us, be it in person, by telephone call, text message or social media contact. The second method by which you commit no contact suicide arises where we contact you, but you, in effect left the door wide open. In a way, to describe it as no contact suicide is slightly misleading because for suicide to be committed, this presupposes that no contact was actually in place to begin with. Many people may well think that they have imposed no contact, but they have not done so and this second form of ‘suicide’ is very common indeed.
The second method of committing no contact suicide is where you leave open a route by which we may contact you of an electronic nature. Accordingly, this mistake includes :-
- Not blocking our telephone number
- Not blocking our e-mail address
- Not blocking us on every social media platform
- Not changing your telephone number(s)
- Not changing your e-mail address(es)
- Not removing yourself from every social media platform
You will notice that there are two parts to ensuring a robust no contact regime when it concerns electronic communications. The first is to prevent us from contacting you using our existing platform – we can call or text you from our existing number and it gets through, we can continue to e-mail you from our existing e-mail address, we are able to post messages to your social media and send direct messages from our relevant account or accounts.
You may be surprised to learn that many people do not block us when they are supposedly implementing no contact. For a smaller percentage this is because those individuals have misunderstood the concept of no contact. They think it is all about ensuring that the victim does not contact the narcissist and therefore believes, mistakenly, that numbers ought not to be blocked because the victim believes they will resist the urge to contact the narcissist (thus avoiding No Contact Suicide Part One). A further percentage do so either naively or arrogantly because they believe that the narcissist has gone. The victim believes that since the narcissist raged at them and told them it was over and that they never wanted to see the victim again, that must mean this was the ‘final discard’.
As I have stated many, many times, there is no such thing as a Final Discard
You may think that you have caused massive wounding to the narcissist, that you exposed the narcissist in such a way that there is no way on earth that the narcissist is going to hoover you. So many times I have read comments and questions from my readers where they state
‘There is no chance of him hoovering me, not after the way I made him go beserk.”
“She would not dare to hoover me, not since she knows that I know what she is really like and that I will tell everyone.”
“He has someone else and after the way he left me, he is not going to come back and hoover me.”
Such thinking is complacent and dangerous.
There is always a risk of a hoover.
Furthermore, if you think you have put in place a no contact regime but have left the door open by not blocking our access to you through any and all electronic means of contacting you, then you WILL be hoovered. It may not be straight away (especially if the narcissist has selected a new prospect who we are infatuated with) but it will happen. I see comments from people stating that they have not heard from the narcissist in three weeks. Three weeks? That is nothing. Others may say it has been silent for six months and therefore they know they are safe. Rubbish. I hoovered somebody after a gap of twelve years.
If you do not block us from ‘phone, e-mail and/or social media you are inviting a hoover. Why is this?
- We are creatures of economy. If there is a simple, straight-forward and low energy method of contacting you, we will take it. Consider this, if we could not contact you through electronic communication, what are some of our alternative options? Write a pen and paper letter to you? Organise a lieutenant to hoover you in person or by telephone? Send you a gift? Attend on you in person? Those are all options but they require more effort (and sometimes considerably more) than the simple action of sending a text stating ‘Hi’.
- It invites a swift response from you. As your emotional thinking surges on receipt of the message, it is so easy for you to type a reply and answer before you even grasp what you are doing and what you are inviting. You can pause before opening a dgift, you may work out a Lieutenant is hoovering you on our behalf and therefore keep your emotional thinking under better control and therefore provide no information to this Lieutenant. You may recognise the hand-writing on an envelope and pause before opening it, your logic attempting to keep you from falling prey to the emotional thinking. Once that text has landed, showing our name and message, sometimes even on your locked screen, then you are much more likely to respond to it.
- The electronic medium allows us to dip a toe in the water. This is especially important for Mid Range Narcissists. If we were to attend on you in person and you ignore us, this causes substantial wounding. In order to avoid this, our kind prefer to be in a position to test the water first. If you ignore a social media message, yes it will wound, but it will not be substantial and we will try at least one more time. If you respond, be it pleasantly or unpleasantly, you have still responded and this signals to us that you will do so again. If your response is pleasant, we instinctively know that we are pushing an open door so we shall text/message again. The messages become an exchange, become a conversation and then emboldened and encourage and also fuelled, we speak with you on the telephone, knowing that you will not reject us and then we meet and before you realise you are in our bed and in our grasp once again. The electronic medium enables us to create a landing point without too much risk and once established it becomes a bridge head for further messages as we hoover you hard.
- Even if you do not respond (and we anticipate that you will) we know you will see the message and this will provide us with Thought Fuel. This may give way to feeling wounded when time passes and there is no response, but we still gathered some Thought Fuel beforehand.
- Our need to exert control is so great that if you present us with an easy way of getting in touch with you, we will take it. You may as well send us the keys to your house and leave the front door open. Even if you have wounded us in the past, the impact of that fades over time (and indeed is often outweighed by our expectation of high quality hoover fuel, the need to assert our superiority, to get control over you again and in certain instances to punish you). We will not pass up the opportunity to hoover you if you have left an electronic gate open.
Accordingly, if you do not block us from all methods of electronic communication then you are committing no contact suicide. You will be hoovered and your attempt at no contact has failed. It is highly likely that our hoovering will prove successful and we will garner fuel from you as well as resurrecting the Formal Relationship (as and when we choose).
I know there are many of you who want to be hoovered because you want that contact from us once again. You have not got your emotional thinking under control at all. If you leave that electronic gateway open you will be hoovered but do understand this will happen when we decide, not when you want it to happen. Accordingly, if you are the disengaged former IPPS it is highly likely we will have someone else and therefore (unless it is malign) you will not be hoovered until your replacement is in devaluation which could be months or even years later. If you are a shelved IPSS you will face a hoover, but not necessarily when you want it. You will receive comfort crumbs instead and the hoover to take you off the shelf is decided by us, not you. If you are a disengaged IPSS then we have no interest in you because we are engaging with other more reliable appliances and yes with the electronic gateway open, you will be hoovered, but at a future point of our choosing, not at your dictating.
However, blocking of our electronic method of reaching you is not sufficient. You need to go further otherwise you are still committing no contact suicide.
You must change the telephone number.
You must change the e-mail address.
You must come off social media.
This is because although blocking will have some effect, it is still not enough.
We will ring you/text you from an alternative number, use a Lieutenant’s number (maybe someone you thought you could trust and thus you take the call or read the text) so we circumvent your blocking of us.
We will create a new e-mail address and do so repeatedly to get around your blocking of us.
We will create false profiles or message through someone else’s profile, or just stalk you using these profiles even if we do not contact you.
Of course changing the profiles/numbers/e-mail addresses will not guarantee that you will not be hoovered because of course some (not all) of our kind will expend effort in getting hold of these new numbers and e-mail addresses, but if you block and change you are putting in place a hurdle which will go some considerable way to raising the Hoover Bar and thus diminishing the risk of a hoover.
You will either force us to expend time and effort to ascertain the new numbers etc and/or you will force us to use alternative methods to hoover you and breach your no contact. We may not know where you live or where you work, or these venues may be some distance away and thus by closing (as far as possible) the electronic gateway by blocking and changing there is more chance we will focus on an easy target rather than waste time trying to gain fuel from a source which has become more difficult to extract from.
A total no contact is very hard to achieve. Moving continents, fleeing to the mountains and changing everything about your prior life, cutting off all routes of reaching you through friends and family etc is doable but is difficult. However, if you do not block and change the electronic method of reaching you, you are committing no contact suicide and you will be hoovered at a future point.
If you have to have come channel of communication with the narcissist (for instance co-parenting) then choose e-mail. Make it clear that this is the only means by which the narcissist can communicate with you, that you will only check the e-mail address say twice a week at a set time for e-mails and no other time. This way you will reduce your exposure to the hoovers which have to get through (by reason of the need for some communication) and with them being in writing you can regulate yourself in terms of your response and endeavour to get your emotional thinking under control.
Do not fall into the trap of thinking that keeping open electronic channels is a pressure valve or a safe way of ensuring we do not turn up in person. This is incorrect and is an outcome of emotional thinking. If you think it is a wise move to keep open a text communication so this will prevent us from coming to see you in person, this is bad thinking, because
- Doing this WILL mean you are hoovered with the consequences of you feeling anxious, being subjected to more and repeated hoovers through text and more
- These repeated hooverswhich have been allowed to happen because of the easy electronic route will invariably result in your emotional thinking surging and then we have managed to start seeing you in person again. Do not think you can resist this happening because it is very hard for you to do because your tipping point is reached through the repeated surging of your emotional thinking.
- If we cannot reach you through electronic means it is NOT a given that we will turn up in person for the reasons explained above. Even if we do, you can still avoid the hoover, escape it and cause wounding.
It is very simple ; keep any form of electronic communication in place with us and you are committing no contact suicide and you will be hoovered at an appropriate point.
27 thoughts on “No Contact Suicide – Part Two”
Reading this article makes me think my narc is broken. I have blocked him from all means. His emails go to my junk box (that I periodically check because he can not see they have been read) He has made no significant attempt to contact me. He sent a voicemail that is colder than ice and about 10-12 emails that all say I love you and I miss you but they are very short and not really triggering any emotion in me or any feeling of wanting to respond. They are usually once a week or if I am “lucky” they are twice a week. He finally sent an email with some kind of substance (all about him of course) it has the usual I miss you and I love you and this one is different because it asks ” some acknowledgement would be nice”
He has never sent flowers, or come to my door. It makes me wonder if that is all the effort he is going to make? Or if he just does not care enough to make an effort. I was the one that left and cut him off. I have also cut off all of his friends and family and I deleted all of my social media. The only real way he can contact me is showing up at my house. I dont consider those emails any kind of hoover because as he himself states… some acknowledgment would be nice. He has no idea I read them and they honestly are not triggering any feelings of wanting to respond to him at all. Does this mean I am indifferent?
1. He should not be able to leave you a voicemail message and you should not have listened to it.
2. It is pointless sending the emails to the junk if you are going to read them, do not read them.
The emails and voicemail are hoovers. To think to the contrary means you are being conned by your emotional thinking.
You may not want to respond (yet) but this is because you still expect him to make more of an effort to contact you and that is what you are waiting on.
Thank you for your response and I suppose you are correct in that there is no real point of putting it in the junk box if I am going to read them. I have stopped checking the junk box all together. If those are in fact considered hoovers they are very crappy ones. hahaha. I think for his level of intricacy and what I know he is capable of these “hoovers” are subpar. I would have to disagree with me expecting anything from him because through the years I have learned not to expect anything at all from him, good bad or indifferent because anything with him is possible depending on his mood. I do not feel that I am waiting for him at all as I have continued with my life and have done everything to cut him out and move on
Dearest HG: I remember my thinking: Sure they Hoover. HG is right of course. But, there will be no Hoover in my case. Because, I am a NIPSS at the workplace. He is very/quite popular. He has a full coterie and 4 Lieutenants, and a wife, and some IPSSs and a DLS. There is no way he will Hoover me when I start removing myself. For what? There is no need. He is always topped off. Easy peasy. However, yes ladies and gentlemen, he hoovered me 2 times definitely, himself, but I believe it was actually 3 times. And, believe me, I was shocked. I could not understand it. But, it happened, as if it were a Flight announcement from Air Traffic Control : Bringing in a Hoover Jet: Entering the Sphere of Influence: The Hoover Execution Criteria is met: The Hoover Bar is Low: Texting: INCOMING HOOVER! BOOM! The Hoover has Landed! Unbelievable.
Yes I have worked with 2 female narcs and been an NIPPs and they definitely Hoover.
Which I ran into not long ago.
I didn’t even notice her… that made her mad because I turned around and she gave me the death glare. To which I ignored her and walked away.
Felt great to be so removed from the situation.
I find it’s much much harder with the narc I dated. As I we slept together and I formed an actual addiction to him. And often miss his affection and intimacy.
Empath: It will hurt if I run into the Narcissist. It was not intimate but I was infatuated with him. And, ironically, I liked one of his 4 malign Lieutenants, the bitter one, but she backstabbed me more than any of them. However I was closest to her. I would help her get along better with the Narcississt. She does not understand him that well, and I would prevent her at times, and she appreciated it. However, she is the super competitive type that will kill the golden goose and check inside and wonder where are all the eggs went: She killed me, the only one that helped her out. Everyone else despised her. She was a chaos maker. I had to get away especially from her. I hope to never see her again. It would really hurt. I am sure she is having trouble with him at work. I am no longer around to remind her to chill out a bit, around him. Too bad it all went down the way it did.
That sounds awful. So happy for you you were able to remove yourself. And I’m sorry it all worked out that way. It sounds like you have a good heart and were trying to improve the situation.
Legal block, 5 year Restraining order.
There’s an article about that….
I do like to see responses such as this.
I can be the one to break it to her…
HG dose this apply to the narcissists minions and lieutenants as well and how do we find out who he has got to ???
My brother would often use other people to Hoover me sometime my friends he denied having anything to do with it and tried to convince me he was the only person I could count on but I knew he was not just involved but the instigator .
It does. See the book No Contact with regard to this particular aspect of closing down the routes available to hoovering you.
Thank you HG 🙏
I can only say that this post is pure truth. Everything here is and having fallen victim to two Hoover’s (the second was when I started researching and found HG, thankfully.
I did write this a few months ago – that I had changed emails and ph numbers and everything to cut contact.
I even bought a new phone as a symbol of a new, fresh start.
For anyone out there struggling to actually cut the tie, know that you’ll feel an immense peace and relief when you move on in this wY.
I’ll admit, I felt for a long time I couldn’t completely cut him off, I was still hoping he would be my man, but I just kept reading – and on the bad days, I’d write down quotes from some of HG’s words and put them on my wall to re-read. It’s so hard. It’s the hardest thing to do, but it’s amazing when you start to move on and realise you’re not going to get an email or a call. And they will only get an undelivered email or at most, a message saying ‘who Are you?’ If your old number has been reassigned.
So, I’m sending lots of love to anyone trying to do this. Even if the narc marries – it won’t mean he or she won’t look for you again. Make it hard. Make it impossible. Read, read, read on the bad days. Know you deserve love. Xxx you can do this. Xxx much love xxx
Thanks HG for helping me x
You are welcome.
This leads me to ask, HG: generally, do narcs tend to keep contact details of the exes? I sometimes wonder what is done with all the texts, pictures and info from past interactions. Logic would say it gets erased and cleaned out to save digital space, if for nothing else.
Either deleted or boxed away, unless there is a need to retain contact information for a particular purpose (Malice Campaign, ongoing issue re children, possessions etc).
Or put in a scrapbook!
Hugh Hefner would approve lol
Hugh Hefner has a scrapbook too? 😳
I was referring to HG’s!
The man had an entire massive room filled full of scrapbooks/photo albums lol. All dated and organized.
I didn’t know About HGs scrapbook
HGs scrapbook hasn’t been brought up in a while. It and the statues are totally psychopathic! You could find talk about both in the archives of narcsite if you are proficient at searching. I would help you but I am trash at finding stuff.
I’m not going to search it. But I believe it. Mine definitely hung on to everything from his past relationships. He was far more obsessive then me in many ways
Really? mind kept all his old GF messages, years worth of stuff… he never wanted to let go of anything.
Empath007. I heard that Narcissists are often Hoarders. And that Empath are often hoarders as well. My goodness.