You Make It So Easy For Us (Or Your Emotional Thinking Does)

YOU-MAKE-IT-SO-EASY-FOR-US-OR-YOUR-EMOITONAL-THINKING-DOES

“Hey look Sandra, a gypsy clairvoyant, I have always wanted to try one of these out.”

“Really?”

“Oh yes, I am interested in that kind of thing. Do you want to as well?”

“No thanks, you go ahead, I will go and get a drink, see you in a few minutes, I will be just over there.”

“Okay. Oh hang on, is that my phone,” you scrabble in your bag and pull your phone free, “It’s Graham, I will see you later,” you wave at your friend as you jab at the screen but you have missed the call. You consider calling back but you are too excited to learn what the Gypsy Rosie Lee has to say.

You push the curtain aside and enter.

“Hello?” you ask tentatively.

“Please come in,” says a low voice.

You move forward and as your eyes adjust from the bright sunshine outside which has blessed the fair to the dimmer interior of this tent you see a lady sat to one side of a table. She beckons you towards a seat opposite and you oblige, sitting down and opening your purse to place the required fee in her outstretched and wrinkled hand. Paper certainly seems to have trumped silver in terms of crossing her palm these days.

“Give me your hands child,” she says gently and you proffer your hands. She takes hold of them, her grip stronger than you would imagine. You look at her, a veil across the lower half of her face, headscarf wrapped about her head, only her aged forehead and gleaming dark eyes visible. She holds your hands for a moment as she remains silent. Eventually she lets go and then moves her hands, probably more for show than effectiveness, over the crystal ball between you.

“Let me confirm the present for you,” she begins. You nod, eyes wide with excitement and anticipation to ascertain if she is correct in what she sees.

“You are a professional lady, earning your own income,” she begins. You nod already impressed.

“You are very much in love, in fact, you are head over heels in love with a man. He is handsome, charming and he loves you unlike anything you have known before.”

“Yes, that’s right,” you say with a gasp of amazement.

“His name begins with a G”

You give another enthusiastic nod.

“He is called Graham and you adore him.”

“Wow, yes he is and I do, I love him so much.”

“You recently moved in together.”

“Yes, he has moved in to my house,” you confirm staggered at the accuracy of what she is telling you.

“You have many friends and they think highly of you, you are a popular and you want to start a family soon, in fact you want children very much.”

You continue to nod.

“I have a grounding of your present dear child, now, let me see what the future holds for you.” She waves her hands theatrically over the crystal ball and peers into it, staring intently into it depths. You watch and wait, hardly daring to breathe…….

A little time later you emerge into the warm sunshine again and walk over to Sandra who is sat drink in hand watching the world go by.

“Hi, how did it go?” she asks raising her hand above her eyes so she can see you against the bright sunlight.

“What a waste of money,” you reply part in anger and part in upset.

“That doesn’t surprise me,” laughs Sandra but she cuts her amusement short when she sees how wretched you look. You sit down beside her.

“What is it? What did she say?”

“Well, she started off so well. She took my hands and then told me that I was a professional lady with my own income. That I was head over heels in love. That I wanted children. She told me that I lived with Graham and she even knew his name, I was blown away at how much she knew.”

“Oh Elaine, you are too trusting you know. I have always said this about you.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well, she can tell by the way you are dressed and your smooth soft hands that you are hardly a factory worker, so that was an educated desk. Professional lady can cover so much.”

“Hmm, maybe, but what about knowing that I am head over heels in love?”

Your friend taps your finger.

“You are wearing an expensive and modern engagement ring. Whoever is wearing one of those is bound to be caught up in the rush of love and from that there is a good chance you will be living with somebody.”

“Well yes I see your point, I guess, but what about wanting children?”

“Wow, breaking news, young woman in a relationship wants children. That’s never happened before has it?”

“Okay, okay, but answer this then, how did she know he is called Graham?”

“Honestly, I think I should set up as one of these fortune tellers, she heard you mention his name when he called. Chances are it was a partner otherwise you would have said “it’s dad” or “it’s my brother”. These people are skilled at recognising types and of course you want to believe what she has to say, they are conditioning you so that when they get the basics right, they can tell you any old bunkum about the future. They program you to hang on their every word and so you are brainwashed into thinking they know the future. Talking of which, what did she have to say about that?”

“Well, that is where I lost faith in here. I still think she knew about my present well enough, she got so much right, but she just went completely off at a tangent about the future.”

“How so?”

“Well she says that Graham is not all that he seems and his apparent love masks an empty heart. She warned me that within months he will, how did she say it, yes that is right, he will “show me the true meaning of hatred”. She said that he would kick me out of my home, my home! She told me that he is a con man and that he would rack up huge debts in my name, force me to do horrible things with him in bed and that he will have a string of affairs. Oh yes, she even said that he was bisexual, can you believe that?”

You friend lets out a hoot of laughter.

“See, I told you, it is a load of rubbish, I mean Graham is the loveliest man you could ever meet, he is so good to you.”

“I know, I told her she was wrong, but she just fixed me with this stare. It unnerved me actually. It was as if she was looking straight through me you know, there was no emotion, just these really dark eyes looking at me.”

“Did she say anything?”

“Yes, she said that the “devil always beats his handmaiden no matter how hard she tries to please him” and I wanted to laugh at that but do you know what I actually felt terrified. I asked her to stop then.”

“I must admit, you looked rather distraught when you reached me. Don’t worry about it.”

“Honestly, the things she was saying, that he would not be a good father, that he would ruin us through gambling and that I would think I was with two different people, even in the same minute. She made him sound like some kind of madman. To be honest, it sounded like the plot of some terrifying film.”

“Tell me about it. Don’t be concerned, Graham is wonderful and he makes you so happy, yes it has been a whirlwind romance so far but you cannot let such an opportunity as this slip through your fingers can you?”

“I’m so glad you agree with me. I know what she said is all nonsense, my Graham is not like that all, but it was the way she looked at me, it chilled me to the core.”

“Forget about it, you have satisfied your curiosity and you know not to waste your money on something like that again. Come on, there’s a wheel of fortune over there, that’s going to be more reliable than Gypsy Story Teller.”

You smile and stand pushing the prophesy of the gypsy to the back of your mind. Nobody behaves like that and certainly not the man you love.

20 thoughts on “You Make It So Easy For Us (Or Your Emotional Thinking Does)

1. Fiddleress says:

About Emotional Thinking, I have a question please, HG: when our ET is still high, can it lead to bad decision-making even with a NON-narcissist? Bad in terms of us suffering adverse consequences afterwards (sadness, self-blame for not sticking to what we knew was preferable for ourselves, therefore regret, a form of confusion and a bit of anger)?

You can have ET in lots of different scenarios which is not ET linked to narcissism, a simple example for instance making a purchase based on ET rather than logic and then regretting that purchase thereafter.

1. Fiddleress says:

Thank you, HG, this explains a lot.
        And basically goes to show how disastrous ET is, and the higher the worse.

2. alexine99 says:

HG would you mind consolidating the definition of emotional thinking within a couple of sentences?
    A

It is decision making which is not based on logic. You can understand more about it through this https://gum.co/rMlcQ

1. alexine99 says:

Thank you.
        A

3. lickemtomorrow says:

No faith in gypsy fortune tellers after my experience (“you will be married within 12 months to the one you love”)!

I’d have a lot more faith in one that said you’re whole future is going to be FU if you stay with this man.

This article just goes to show the blindness of the empath either way.

Strung out on hope.

1. Violetta says:

When I was in Jr. High, a fortune-teller told me I would have either a miscarriage or an abortion within a year. By the time the year was over, I hadn’t even had sex yet!

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Haha, Violetta 😛

That fortune teller was certainly a downer! And you were in Jr High? Maybe she had a template for that … in Jr High, probably having sex, likely to get pregnant due to age/innocence, standard solution applies.

Gawd. Definitely give these people a massive bye-ball.

2. Violetta says:

She signaled me and a friend from a window when we were visiting NY. Tried to charge an outrageous amount, I said, “I don’t have that,” and she eventually lowered her price, but I guess she decided I had paid for a lousy future.

She told me I didn’t get along with my father, so I thought maybe she did know something. It hadn’t occurred to me that such a thing was hardly unusual for girls my age!

1. lickemtomorrow says:

Just as well she lowered her price … who wants to pay for bad news!

I had some interesting experiences while in Ireland and a number of them concerned ‘Travellers’ who are more or less ‘itinerant’ Irish folk that often live in caravans and move as the whim or necessity takes them.

Anyway, one came to my door once looking to sell some wares and after I said I wasn’t interested she asked if I had ‘a slice of bread for the children’. There were a few apparently and a slice of bread wasn’t going to cut it for this empath, so I sent her out with soup and bread along with my crockery and cutlery. I wasn’t sure if she’d come back, but she did.

Then she asked if I would like her to read my palm. I was bit taken aback, but if she was offering it for free I thought I might as well take it. “That will be 40 Euros” she told me. Needless to say, I wasn’t going to pay that after just feeding her children! The cheek of her, but brazenness is one of their calling cards 😉

1. alexissmith2016 says:

Wow Lickedem an interesting story and after you’d been so generous too.

I can recall as a child feeling a bit scared of some of the people who tried to sell lucky heather. Some of them were so forceful and also threatened bad luck if you refused to buy it!

I think it was RIcky Gervais (another narc, no doubt, although he is funny, possibly self aware too) talking about people coming up to him offering him to buy lucky heather. And his response, “Is it? Is it really? lucky you say? then how come you’re covered in it and on a street corner trying to sell it”. Something to that effect anyway.

oh god! so true!

2. lickemtomorrow says:

Haha, Alexis 😛

Does sound scary for a little kid, but looks like Ricky took care of that!

They can be very brazen and thankfully I never experienced any aggression. They don’t let up easily, though, and usually rap the door hard enough that you know who is knocking! It’s one way of avoiding their machinations if need be.

They’re also called ‘gypsies’ of course. Fascinating people and a culture all their own.

When the ‘King of the Gypsies’ died in the town where I was living (so the head of that particularly gypsy clan), they put all his belongings in his caravan and burnt it to the ground along with a brand new car he owned. That is their tradition. This was done on the side of the road and as the fire service were aware of the tradition they respected it and allowed the fire to burn out. They were probably there just ensure the safety of anyone gathered around and no doubt no one really wants to tangle with them!. It was one of the weirdest experiences of my life becoming aware of that. A brand new car FFS! All went up in flames. Fascinating.

3. alexissmith2016 says:

Hahha yup Ricky took care of it. Gosh I had no idea that was a tradition to burn Everything in that way when a king of the gypsies died. Very interesting. It must have been very strange to watch.

4. truthseeker6157 says:

Interesting you mention lucky heather Alexis, my dad has a thing about that. He actually told me very clearly one time that if I was ever approached by a gypsy selling lucky heather I was always to give them a fair price, be polite and move on. It has happened to me once and I did just that. I didn’t question my dad but knowing him as I do, I suspect his thinking was ‘Don’t mess with things you don’t understand.’

My dad rarely gets the slightest bit cross with me. He did though when I went to a clairvoyant in Nottingham. This guy terrified the living daylights out of me. There were two people in the room apparently. One, “Very tall elderly male, who has a tightness across the chest, has difficulty breathing.” My grandfather was 6 ft 3 and died from asthma complications.
            The second was “Young, tall, dark haired, brown eyes, quiet.” and had lain a single red rose across two of the Tarot cards. This person had a very specific message, “Its ok, you shouldn’t worry about it, you don’t need to open it.”
            I had a boyfriend at university. We had split up in third year. After his finals, he went out, got drunk, was killed trying to cross a motorway. His friend called to let me know. The following day I received a letter from him. He had sent it the day before he died. I couldn’t open it. We had finished, he hadn’t wanted to. I suspect the letter was about that. I couldn’t open it, I couldn’t throw it away. So in the end, my dad kept it for me. He still has it.

The clairvoyant went on to tell me all kinds of very specific facts. Example, a family bible that was my grandfather’s with gold ornate lettering on the inside front cover, very specific passages underlined. At the time I had to say, “I’m sorry, I don’t know, he died before I was born.” I asked my dad later and my grandma, all details were exactly right, and to a ridiculous degree. All sorts of weird stuff happened directly afterwards too. I saw stuff, I heard stuff. Interestingly, my dad and grandma both saw my grandad several times after he died, as did a neighbour who had a conversation with him over the fence in the back garden. They had been away on holiday, my grandad had died 10 days prior. The clairvoyant had no message for me from my grandad. I suspect he just wanted to make his presence known.

In short, most fortune tellers are charlatans but occasionally you do get one who gets too close for comfort. Then, it isn’t so much fun any more. Then, it’s just plain scary. Suffice to say my dad was not best pleased and made me promise never to go again. I never have, even the silly ones you go to see with your girlfriends. Never again.

Why does the weird stuff always happen to me?!

5. alexissmith2016 says:

Ah gosh TS that’s especially sad about your boyfriend. I completely understand why you did not want to open the letter. That’s awful.

I’ve never been to a CV. I’ve heard as you say many are rogues but some can be scarily accurate.

Crikey, I’m pleased you’re dad never gave me that advice re the lucky heather or I’d be broke by now ahaha. Unbelievable it’s only happened to you once? I must look like someone who needs to get lucky!!

6. Another Cat says:

Oh gosh, haven’t been to Ireland, tho had an Irish bf. But I heard of these traveler’s burning rituals, and that they can’t visit toilets where nontravelers have been.

I guess as one goes from town to town to town, meeting new sets of germs halfthetime, stuff one is not immune to, these traditions seem logical indeed, from their perspective.

4. December Infinity says:

Good one!

5. Leela says:

Cluster B? NO THANK YOU! 😉

6. Leela says:

This time I didn´t. The next narc was already waiting to ensnare me. I knew pretty quickly that something is really totally off with this guy. And then: I ignited his fury. He got aggressive. My gut feeling already had told me very early on that something is not right with this person. Didn´t waste any more time! Just GOSO! I´m proud of myself! 🙂