The Three That Got Away

The Audio Version of “The Three That Got Away”

Obtain here

6 thoughts on “The Three That Got Away

1. MB says:

Hello Leigh,

It was more difficult to read for me than to listen. When reading, I formed a picture in my mind, filling in any details that were not mentioned with my own interpretation and attaching my own emotions. When listening, I took the information as it was presented, at face value. HG IS sincere in the recording, he doesn’t pretend to care. It’s quite matter-of-fact and was more of a documentary than a drama.

1. Leigh says:

MB, AV also feels it was harder to read. When Mr. Tudor first released the written version, I jumped on it because I wanted to know what happened with Karen. I didn’t know what to expect. It was heart wrenching. In my head, I separated Mr. Tudor and the man in that story. I know what you mean about filling in the details. I just kept thinking, “Is she scared?” and the writer made it all about him and that infuriated me. I know the writer is Mr. Tudor but I really needed to separate the two. The man in that story isn’t a nice man and hearing him describe it so matter-of-factly, I don’t know if I can do it. Its just creates dissonance again. Here I am feeling admiration and gratitude for someone who doesn’t care either way.

With all of that said, I know that this piece is fundamental in learning about Mr. Tudor and narcissism in general. Its one of his key articles. I still need to separate the two. I’m not quite ready to see him in such a negative light.

Hi MB!

Great point. The narrative can differ greatly as you point out in reading vs listening. My first thought was: He IS being sincere in his logical relating of it. We add OUR emotion.

2. A Victor says:

This is excellent.

1. Leigh says:

Have you listened to it AV? This is a tough one for me. It’s one thing to read the story about these 3 women. Its something else to listen to Mr. Tudor talk about these women without any sincerity. Even if I hear sincerity in his voice, I know its not real because he’s not capable of genuine sincerity. Then I also wonder what if there is no sincerity in his voice? How will I feel then?

I’m curious to know what everyone else thinks???

1. A Victor says:

Hi Leigh, yes, I read it months ago and was very upset and moved by it. So I didn’t buy the audio version for quite a while after it came out and then I didn’t listen to it until last week. Twice in a row, it was compelling. I don’t listen with any expectation of sincerity, he does not care about them no matter what his delivery is saying. I listen more from the aspect that he is relaying incidents that have occurred in his life, this one being about the 3 that got away and how it happened. Quite factual really and nothing more to it, in my mind. Reading it was harder but I think that’s because I was new here, just getting my head around the idea that he doesn’t care, and when I listened, I already knew what to expect. I hope that helps.