Cancel : Why Do Narcissists Cancel Arrangements?
Why are we notorious for cancelling arrangements? You may have been looking forward all week to going out for dinner with us, or we sent a text message suggesting meeting up that evening for a drink only for a message to arrive an hour before hand explaining we cannot make it. I am not referring to those instances where we do not just turn up, but why is it that we make plans with you, be it a month in advance or just hours and we do so with enthusiasm and guarantees of being there, only to then cancel those arrangements?
There is a central factor behind this behaviour. It is control. As you know, control is of huge importance to us. We once lacked control as the world turned against us and we must never allow that to happen. By exerting control, we gain the validation we need, the fuel we require and we ensure that we are not ambushed, belittled and made to feel weak. By controlling our environment we reinforce that we are a supreme master of our destiny and of the destiny of others and through this control we are able to be that which we want the world to see. Control equals safety.
Accordingly, we need to control people and especially those which are our appliances in the provision of fuel and other benefits. We derive several benefits from exerting this control over you by dictating how and when we shall meet with you and especially by then withdrawing the meeting.
1. We can determine how you will react to us taking this step – is it annoyance, irritation, upset, begging to meet up, re-arranging immediately or indifference;
2. We can gauge from your reaction just how much control we are exerting over you;
3. We can evaluate the extent of the fuel provision.
As you will have become aware, we operate through the continued and repeated application of contrast. Build you up and knock you down. Idealise and then devalue. Lift up and throw down. Our behaviour when it comes to making arrangements to do something together is no different. We give you the elation of something to look forward to and then we snatch it away and observe the outcome.
Our sense of entitlement means that we can treat you in this manner. You are not important. Our needs and our time matter far more. Thus, in accordance with our inflated sense of self we will deem it our right to demand to see you with just two hours’ notice and then cancel with barely five minutes’ warning. We of course do not care about how this makes you feel (but we are invested as to how this manifests because it is fuel) nor do we have any concern for whether you have been inconvenienced, put to expense, made to arrange child care, alter other arrangements, travel and so on. It is expected that you will do these things for us.
By behaving in this manner we reinforce our sense of superiority. Our idea of being god-like able to do as we please on a whim and everything else has to accommodate us and fall into place behind us.
This propensity to cancel is also indicative of how we perceive time in a different manner to other people. We are notoriously unpunctual, save when it is of crucial importance to us. This is because we do not value anybody’s time but our own, but it is also because we are so focused on what we are doing at that precise moment that pending plans, no matter how imminent will be held at bay, put to one side and ignored as we revel in what is happening in that instant. How many times have you had to stand waiting for your narcissist to turn up (assuming he or she has not cancelled) ? How many times have you been left waiting at a bar, at a bus stop, at your house as you wonder where on earth we have go to? This is because we have been too focused on the activity we have been engaged in, namely drawing fuel and therefore your appointment with us can wait and is forgotten about until something causes a reminder.
Thus, we may well have made what has seemed like cast iron plans with you for dinner this evening and a reservation has been made along with arrangements about where to meet. You have checked twice that we are still ‘on for this evening’ and then despite this we ring and cancel. We have been distracted by something else and because we are gaining fuel from that something else we want to continue doing that but we will not pass up this opportunity to let you down, exert control over you and gain further fuel.
What we are doing matters, what you have planned does not concern us. Often arrangements will be cancelled because of the new moment we find ourselves in our because we have a better offer. We have no need to exhibit manners or show loyalty, but whatever serves us best will be done and if this means telling you we cannot make it, then so be it.
How does this cancelling of arrangements manifest in the various dynamics?
1. If you are a non-intimate secondary source who is a colleague or family member then we cancel not because we intend to devalue you, but rather because of the existing connection between us (work/familial) it is a given that we can cancel and you should accept it. If you complain, we gain fuel, if you do not but are content to re-arrange this underlines that you are subservient to us and it is as is expected. Since you are a secondary source which is in a near permanent golden period, remember we can pick you up and put you down as we please and cancelling an arrangement is just a manifestation of this dynamic rather than being a specific form of devaluation.
2. If you are a non-intimate secondary source who is a friend, again there is an expectation that you will just accept this because you are loyal and functioning. We expect some fuel – positive or negative – and for you to want to re-arrange. This again demonstrates to us that you remain well under our control and is more pick you up and put you down behaviour rather than devaluation.
3. If it is the initial seduction of somebody who we intend to make our primary source, whether you are a Non Intimate Secondary Source or you have advanced to an Intimate Partner Secondary Source then cancelling an arrangement is not done to devalue. It is done as a test. We are hoping for disappointment and a willingness to rearrange. If you fly off the handle with us, whilst we gain fuel, we will consider you as less desirable to be a primary source. If you are indifferent, this is the worst outcome and we are unlikely to continue our seduction of you, since you have become uninterested far too soon. This test will not be used frequently with you however as we have no desire to ruin the seduction and put you off.
4. If you have been drawn to us and we have embedded you in a golden period as either the IPSS (who may become the IPPS) or as the IPPS then it is highly unlikely that we will cancel arrangements. You are now the apple of our eye and providing delicious positive fuel so we have no desire to interrupt that, let you down or spoil the illusion of us as being attentive, delightful and wonderful. If it does happen, then it may just be a genuine inability to be able to keep to the arrangement.
5. If you are the IPPS and we keep cancelling arrangements then you are squarely within the devaluation period. This is being done purely to draw negative fuel from you, to upset you, hurt you and anger you. It is also the case that we are more than likely cancelling so we can spend time with the prospective primary source we are cultivating and we are using this as a chance to draw negative fuel from you and continue our manipulative mind games, especially when we tell you we cannot make it because we have to work late and you then later see a post on social media showing us in a bar with somebody else.
6. If you are a NISS or IPSS devaluation is rare but if you find that we are cancelling repeatedly on you, this is not a test but you should be aware that you are being devalued and that the relationship is swiftly heading towards discard.
Learn more about cancel behaviour in the Shelf Dynamic
13 thoughts on “Cancel : Why Do Narcissists Cancel Arrangements?”
I recall 3 years ago, I was invited to spend Xmas day with a ‘friend’ and her family then the day before, I am ‘informed’ that they were ‘going somewhere else’ – so the plans had changed. A narcissist did invite me for a cup of tea – part of her ‘ensnarement’ to ensure I was ‘wrapped by her tendrils’ – hmmm, it was an interesting ‘experience’ as I recall some ‘observations’ that I had made at the time…..I had only ‘known’ her a few weeks.
HG, I did begin to be devalued my second cycle with him. I had not experienced this before as the ipss. I believe devaluation was deployed because I was being considered for ipps and failed. He decided to go with the other person. Could this be the reason I experienced devaluation as a ipss?
On the bare information provided, possibly so, yes.
Thank you for your response HG. I think I failed a test to see if I was willing to leave my husband. I don’t believe he actually wanted me to leave him. I think he just wanted to make sure I was willing to.
“I don’t believe he actually wanted me to leave him. I think he just wanted to make sure I was willing to.” – I have thought the same thing.
My first “romantic” narc ensarment I was IPSS also. I left my partner.. and the narc was gone!!! 🤣🤣
He appeared again when I met someone else and he was oh so interested in reinstall the relationship (secondary source). I was only tasty while occupied..🤷🏻♀️😅
Oh Jasmin I’m so sorry. He would have done the same to me. I’m sure if it. Good for you for standing your ground and not letting him back in.
Hi K mac and thank you!
This was a long time ago (05-08). I didn’t stand on any ground at that time…🙈
After getting some narc knowledge I felt the irresistible Need To Know so I contacted him in spring -20, but only to look for red flags. He delivered them one after another:
Revision of history…
NC since summer -20.
It’s possible that ‘your’ narc would have done the same but also if you’re not willing to leave
your husband for him then he couldn’t promote you if you were the candidate IPSS.
The gut feeling tells a lot!
*if you were not
He had successfully embedded a new ipps. He was testing to see if I was worth the trouble keeping around. I believe he felt his control slipping with me. At this point I was well informed due to your work. I didn’t disclose this to him but he new something was amiss. This is my theory anyway. 🤷♀️
Never ever agree to a Dinner or outing with a Narcissist once they have previously cancelled. Don’t even wash your Hair, instead cook a Steak or Salmon or your favourite Vegan meal:sit down, relax, smile and enjoy your Favourite Chianti, if you get a text or phone call from your Narc., IGNORE him/her. Have a lovely evening.
You should not be receiving a text or call from a narcissist, you should have changed your number or at the very least blocked the narcissists number. You know you are dealing with a narcissist therefore you apply GOSO. Your recommendation is a breach of no contact and is driven by emotional thinking.
I’ve always believed that it is a stroke of good fortune to find one who is worth my energy and time.
“Falling into the HG Tudor classics” was more than just luck for me and timing..
It was the hands of “fate” guiding me… HG Tudor-Knowing the Narcissist channel..
Intrigued to know more, “click” I had been drawn in to the magic of HG Tudor..
Needless to say HG Tudor, the wealth of information I receive from the many videos and audios you post is beyond compare. Thank you for that…
Also…I like to add that: More and More.. I like what I see….
What I do care about is in how much I have changed..
In just a short period of time 6 weeks of me tuning into your channel “Knowing the Narcissist,
I am changing and I like it… I like what I am seeing in myself…
Life is short, and should not be wasted pursuing and involving yourself with the wrong people.
The high end scale of Narcissists as in the Grand Narcissist are highly intelligent, charisma exudes from them.
Its the mystery about these people and there ability to please or charm you is very seductive.
My personal experience having been involved with these amazing sexy creatures….
You forget about how many times arrangements are canceled.. you are under their spell…
Most people including myself rush ahead, become engaged or do other stupid things…
And then in a “flash” everything is over . You think what the f….just happened. .
Dazed and confused you know neither what you have won or lost. or if it was even real…
As I read “Why Do Narcissists Cancel Arrangements”; I smile to myself and nod….
Been there, done that…but…. not no more…..
I know I am not finished with attracting these “types” into my life.. and I accept that.
Its in the “how” I intend to respond when they do is all that matters to me now.
Thanks darlin… HG Tudor for creating an amazing Legacy for yourself and for your viewers….
positivefuel8, it is good to read your words and that HG’s Legacy is as beneficial to you as well as everyone else here 🙂