The Faces of Devaluation

THE FACESOFDEVALUATION

Devaluation.

This period of the narcissistic dynamic is regarded as always being part of the dynamic and understandably the worst part of it. Those who consider it as an ever present part of the dynamic however are over-stating its presence because whether devaluation appears at all and if it does, how it will manifest, depends very much on the nature of the dynamic with our appliances.

Commencing with the Tertiary Source, most of the time our engagements with Tertiary Sources do not include any devaluation. There are two main reasons for this :-

1. The engagement is brief. We either engage with the Tertiary Source once, for a short time and never again or we engage with them repeatedly but it is only ever brief in nature; and
  2. The needs of the façade mean that engaging with the Tertiary Source in a benign way is the most effective method of proceeding.

It is the case however that Tertiary Sources are devalued. They will be insulted, ignored, triangulated with other superior-ranking sources. This devaluation may be because the Tertiary Source has ignited our fury (for instance a bar tender failing to serve us ahead of someone else) but the devaluation may just occur because we regard it as an expedient response. For instance, we see that it would draw amusement or admiration from our friends (Non Intimate Secondary Sources) if we pour scorn on a homeless person in the street or we insult the waitress in a bar. Neither of these people will have necessarily criticised us but we consider them expendable and by devaluing them we gain negative fuel from them and positive fuel from other sources.

Any devaluation of a Tertiary Source is short in duration. It is a burst of negative fuel but it is not hugely potent (indeed the admiration from the secondary or primary source which it brings about is more potent) when compared to other sources and the quantity of fuel provided is low. This is because the Tertiary Source will not be bound to us and therefore after a period of time of responding in a manner which provides this negative fuel the Tertiary Source more often than not will dis-engage.

The period of devaluation for a Tertiary Source may be less than a minute if they provide negative fuel and then back off. Of course if they continue to engage us and provide Challenge Fuel, we will keep provoking them and also asserting our perceived superiority over them in order to put them in their place. We also of course cannot have some upstart Tertiary source making us look bad in front of other superior sources. We are unlikely to keep ‘pursuing’ the Tertiary Source. Thus, if we upbraid a waiter and he retreats to the kitchen, we are unlikely to follow him and keep the devaluation going. Instead, we take the negative fuel from his angry reaction and let him withdraw. We consider it largely beneath us to keep pressing such an individual. Of course, if the waiter returns to us, we will devalue again and keep doing so for as long as he keeps appearing in front of us.

It is unlikely that the Tertiary Source will be smeared as a consequence of this devaluation because ultimately within our fuel matrix the Tertiary Source is not of significant importance and therefore it is not worth expending the energy and time on smearing them.

We may see this Tertiary Source on another occasion and provoke them again or we may engage with them in a benign fashion. It does not matter to us how we treated them on the previous interaction because of the way we compartmentalise.

In respect of secondary sources, devaluation does occur but if and when it does, it is for a reason which is directly linked to the behaviour of the secondary source.

If someone is a non-intimate secondary source, therefore they are a family member, friend or colleague, they will usually enjoy an elongated golden period. Devaluation of the secondary source will only occur where that individual has sought to expose us, challenge us extensively or has turned off the fuel supply completely. The devaluation will be longer than that of the Tertiary Source because the secondary source will be bound more closely to us. This binding will be as a consequence of the nature of the relationship – the person is in our social circle with other people, they work with us or they are in our family circle – but also because we will have put more effort into binding them to us. Accordingly, the secondary source is less likely to withdraw in the same way that a Tertiary Source would. Instead, the secondary source is more likely to want to try to find out why they are being treated this way, to seek to make amends and to gain our favour once again. Sometimes this devaluation occurs as a consequence of needing to send a signal to other secondary sources that they ought not to cross us so that they realise it is preferable to remain loyal to us than cross us in some way.

The secondary source who is devalued is likely to be smeared by us. We will want other secondary sources of the same circle or ilk to turn against the devalued secondary source and complete their isolation and to ostracise them. We are conscious of the maintenance of the façade and therefore we will look to present a reason for why this secondary source has fallen from favour, is no longer invited, is not welcome at certain gatherings and so forth.

The period of devaluation for a secondary source varies in terms of the actual engagement and the period over which the person is regarded as ‘black’. If the secondary source wants to talk to us to find out why they are treated this way, we will keep devaluing them so this might be a matter of minutes or a couple of hours. If they remain proximate to us and keep providing negative fuel, we will keep devaluing and provoking them. If they retreat and try to engage us on another occasion, they will remain ‘black’ until they do something (or there is an external act) which causes us to regard them as ‘white’ and we welcome them to the fold again. For instance, if the secondary source seeks forgiveness and has a residual benefit we want, we will extend our graciousness to admit them into the relevant circle again. If we see no purpose, other than negative fuel, then they remain painted ‘black’ and they will be dis-engaged from and we will find a replacement for them soon enough.

In some instances the secondary source may dis-engage and have nothing more to do with us, thus a friend never socialises with us, the family member withdraws or the colleague moves workplaces or department. Sometimes they may not have such an option and instead they remain in effect a scapegoat for us, remaining ‘black’ for years and are devalued further each time there is any interaction with us. Thus, every time there is a family gathering they will be subject to contemptuous comments, triangulation or silent treatments. Of course, this long-lasting devaluation may be intermittent as we may only see this secondary source at certain events or places. Similar to the tertiary source we will rarely keep seeking out the secondary source to devalue him or her.

Where the secondary source is of an intimate variety, either an IPSS or DSIPSS, then the dynamic alters. There are two potential forms of devaluation.

The first is used as a corrective measure to bring the IPSS or DSIPSS back into line. Thus devaluation and dis-engagement is not a certainty but instead, if the IPSS or DSIPSS responds favourably to this ‘warning’ then the devaluation will halt and the golden period continues. This is because the IPSS or DSIPSS’s fuel is regarded as still valuable and not stale and devaluation is used because they are not complying as they ought to do. This corrective devaluation brings them back into line and thus the corrective devaluation halts.

The second is where the IPSS or DSIPSS does not respond to the warning and thus their failure and treachery means that he or she must now be punished as we head towards dis-engagement. The devaluation in this instance will be more intense than the corrective devaluation but it will not last for long because either the IPSS or DSIPSS stays out of our way or if they do not, we want to turn to a different IPSS or DSIPSS (or find a new one) and therefore dis-engagement comes along quickly.

Finally there is the IPPS. The Intimate Partner Primary Source is the person who suffers the longest devaluation, the harshest devaluation and is the one which is recognised by most people. This happens because

1. You promised to be The One. Your failure to live up to our ideals mean you must be punished, we are not going to let you off the hook easily;
  2. Your negative fuel is potent, plentiful and frequent and therefore we want to keep drawing that from you;
  3. This negative fuel also provides contrast and the motivation for our seduction of your potential replacement;
  4. You are bound to us and therefore you are far less likely to withdraw from us. This binding is both emotional and non-emotional. Emotionally it arises because you want to return to the golden period, you want to make everything alright, you are a love devotee and want to have love triumph, you may well be co-dependent, you do not want to admit defeat and you are addicted to us. The non-emotional are matters such as finances, children, house, family pressures and so forth. The combination of these factors means that you cling to us and because you most likely live with us your devaluation occurs each day;
  5. We grant you Respite Periods. This takes place within the umbrella of the Devaluation Period and means that you are given renewed hope (so you stick around) and also it means your potential for becoming numbed and unresponsive is reduced by these periods which allow you to gather some strength again;
  6. The IPPS may be the only person in our fuel matrix who is being devalued and this will usually take place behind closed doors to preserve the façade so there is less likelihood of external interference which will disrupt the devaluation.

The devaluation of the IPPS is the most brutal of all the devaluations of appliances, it continues for the longest, it can be years, even decades in some instances and within this devaluation comes a whole host of manipulations and abuses which cover the emotional, the financial, the sexual and the physical.

48 thoughts on “The Faces of Devaluation

1. Insatiable Learner says:

HG, so based on your exchange with Kim e and Fuel on the shelf, challenge fuel will still trigger a CD?

1. Insatiable Learner says:

Thank you, HG. I appreciate it.

2. Kim e says:

HG. Could you please give a couple of examples of a corrective devaluation?

1. Verbal abuse
      2. A silent treatment.

1. Kim e says:

Thank you.
        How are we to know that these are corrective devaluations? I guess the point is we are not but once we come crawling back the devaluation stops because your superiority has been reinstated?

Based on your position in the fuel matrix.

1. Kim e says:

How does the corrective devaluation change by position? I am a SIPSS

CDs apply to secondary sources.

3. Kim e says:

So the fact that I am on the shelf means I do not get corrective devaluations?
            Sorry HG. Just trying to understand

If you are on the shelf you may receive a CD if you are deemed to be pestering the narcissist to come off the shelf, or if you threaten his façade or control in some way. However, if you sit quietly on the shelf and then you respond positively when you are hovered to come off the shelf, there will be no CD.

5. Kim e says:

So since I ignored a text from him and have changed up my routine is that considered threatening his control?

6. Caroline says:

And Candidate IPPS also, HG?

Candidate IPSS – highly unlikely that CIPSS would receive a CD.

8. Caroline says:

Ah, I thought it was “Candidate[FOR]-IPPS”…thank you, Sir. 🙂 I’m not even sure why I asked… just seeing the word “corrective” kinda irks me. *_*

2. Kim e says:

Hello HG,
        You stated “or if you threaten his facade or control in some way” a CD may be issued.
        As I have changed up my routine and ignored a text message, is this a threat to his “control”?

Ignoring his text message will wound, albeit only slightly.

1. Kim e says:

But it is not a threat to his control?
            A CD is not issued fro wounding?

A CD arises either from wounding or the provision of challenge fuel.

3. Kim e says:

But no threat to his control?

A threat to control can range from minor to major.

3. Fuel on the Shelf says:

HG….when you say the following…

“If you are on the shelf you may receive a CD if you are deemed to be pestering the narcissist to come off the shelf, or if you threaten his façade or control in some way.”

“A CD arises either from wounding or the provision of challenge fuel.”

Would “pestering” the narc to come off the shelf cause wounding or does it just tend to just be challenge fuel?

Depends if there is emotion associated with the pestering. If there is, Challenge Fuel, is there is not, it will wound.

1. Fuel on the Shelf says:

So if I send a text that says, “It sucks that you said we were going to have a phone call and we have not” I guess that is “challenge fuel”? Where as if I were to text, “you are an asshole for not having a call with me when you said we would” that would wound? But also challenge too?

No, both are Challenge fuel.

2. Lori says:

I am the queen of corrective devaluations. I have had so many I have lost count.

I have to ask HG, what is the narc seeking during a corrective deval silent treatment? Are you seeking silence from us or are you hoping we text you a million times begging ? I know the goal in compliance but what does compliance mean to you during one of these ? What would make you end it?

I once had one for 2 months and I have no clue what caused him to end it out of the blue and speak to me again

The assertion of superiority and fuel.

1. Kim e says:

HG. If I am on the shelf and don’t hear regularly from the MMRN how would I know if it is a silent treatment or it is just not my turn?

Why be bothered when you know he is a narcissist? GOSO.

2. Caroline says:

Hmm…I may have gotten many of these in the FR too, Lori, because my narcissist always says of me: “You’re a handful.” (I’m not SO much — but whatever).

But I’m thinking I didn’t notice a lot of the CDs because I’m always pulled in many directions (busy) and my mind is always whirling away, so I can miss stuff on the periphery… which is probably why he never felt like he got enough of my attention also. (Or because he’s a narcissist, LOL).

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed reading your insights/experiences with CDs.

3. K says:

Lori

“they will remain ‘black’ until they do something (or there is an external act) which causes us to regard them as ‘white’ and we welcome them to the fold again.”

I really liked this article and you may find it helpful:

1. Fuel on the Shelf says:

I am definitely the queen of corrective devals too!

1. Caroline says:

Well, you’re both pretty sassy (good)~so makes sense. 😉

4. Insatiable Learner says:

HG, please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that what ends a corrective devaluation is compliance with whatever the secondary source failed to do in the first place that triggered a CD. For example, in your article about the shelf ipss where she kept pestering the narc to respond when he specifically asked her to wait because he was busy, he issued a CD in the form of silent treatment. It was only when she stopped pestering she finally complied with what he wanted, resulting in the CD ending. Am I on the right track here? Thank you!

Correct.

3. Bubbles🍾 says:

Dear Mr Tudor,
    I have not been able to view comments for a “week” now … is everything alright and are you ok?
    Concerned
    Ta …. Bubbles

I am perfectly well thank you for your concern. I have had other professional matters to attend to.

1. Caroline says:

I was a little worried about you too. I even sent you an email earlier today… okay, so that had nothing to do with you, but I did do it partly out of concern.

We missed you! (Hmmm…we missed a narcissist – that can’t be good. Nah, it’s okay. You teach + help us).

2. Bubbles🍾 says:

Dear Mr Tudor,
        Thank you for responding, I’m so glad you are ok
        I was worried you may have been kidnapped and tied up against your will by some enraged scheming discarded empath dining on fava beans and chianti. 🍷🍽
        😂

That’s not going to happen!

3. Twilight says:

Bubbles

Ha ha HG tied up, that was an amusing thought. Now on to a more frieghtening thought him getting loose…..and that folks is how a nightmare is born!

2. K says:

Bubbles
      The news reported several snowstorms in the UK and I thought, perhaps he is too busy shoveling, but then I realized that he would have minions to do that.

I wasn’t in the UK.

1. K says:

Wherever you were, HG, I hope the weather was nice. Snow can be a pain-in-the-ass.

Thank you. The weather was colder than the UK but I didn’t go for the weather, so it matters not.

2. Bubbles🍾 says:

Dear K,
        Exactly!
        He was probably having vodka with Vladdy, noodles with Kimmy and burger n fries with The Don … he is James Bond after all 😂

1. Caroline says:

Well, if he’s Bond-James Bond (any of them), I’ll submit myself.

JK…will not.

I think I’ve had too much caffeine today. I’m saying rather odd things — can’t make any sense of a poster on another thread — and have no idea who Terry Tibbs is. It’s all a tad confusing. I’m in my own little world today…lalalalala.

2. K says:

Dearest Bubbles,

HG is like James Bond. Dangerous and elusive!

P.S.
          Kimmy needs to lay off the noodles.

Infatuation