The Joys of Therapy and the Narcissist

THE JOYS OF THERAPY AND THE NARCISSIST

It is an acknowledged fact that you never see us coming. We are creatures that are insidious and pervasive. It is astonishing that we are not seen because we hardly arrive quietly. We appear with great fanfare, fireworks, flashing lights and symphonic sounds. You cannot miss us but of course all of that obscures what we really are. Even when our true intentions begin to manifest you still do not recognise what we are. There are those of you who meet us once and then fall prey a second or even a third time, such is the manner in which we inveigle our way into your lives. You never ever know who we are when we first enter your life and often you do not realise until years afterwards what has happened to you. Some never even achieve enlightenment. Everything we do is designed to deceive. We are shrouded in deceit, it oozes from us and taints everything around us but you rarely see all of that. We are masters of deception, masked and cloaked, our true intentions hidden behind a sheen of flattery and a wall of manipulation. We know you blame yourselves when you finally realise who you have danced with. We are aware that you see it all too clearly after the event and you blame yourself repeatedly. You really ought not to be so harsh on yourselves, you never stood a chance. It is not just you who cannot penetrate our veil of secrecy, the so-called professionals often fail as well. If they cannot see us then you can be forgiven for doing so can’t you?

There is an army of therapists, doctors, counsellors, life-coaches and so on. Call them what you will and for all their academic brilliance, their soothing words and supposed insight there are many (although not all admittedly) who are unable to detect us either. They have not experienced what you have and therefore they can only speak from a position of learned, rather than experienced, knowledge. Many of our kind never have any interaction with these people since we refuse to acknowledge there is anything wrong with us much less see any need to be subjected to this scrutiny. This diminishes the prospects of these professionals from gaining a proper understanding. Moreover on the occasions when they might just happen to have one of our kind inside their consulting rooms we do everything in our expansive charismatic power to persuade them that not only is there nothing wrong with us but we are the victims of vile behaviour from the very person who forced us to attend on this shrink. Accordingly, their opportunities to understand us and learn from us are limited and this in turn allows us to continue unhindered in our machinations.

Prior to the good doctors who at least appear to know what they are doing, I merrily attended sessions with therapists and their ilk on five occasions. How could I pass up such a succulent opportunity to gather more fuel from this new arrival and also from you. I would resist any attempt to move into this arena of psychoanalysis at first, purely in order to heighten your woe, hurt and frustration. Eventually and often when perceiving a risk that you would voluntarily threaten my supply of fuel I would agree to attend. I prepared in advance as I selected all of the instruments of charm and flattery from my Devil’s Toolkit. Oh how I enjoyed those sessions. My other half would always pay for them so there was a blast of fuel from the off and I relished the opportunity to demonstrate my amenable and charming nature to them. In these sessions with therapists and the like I always adopted a twin strategy. Charm on the one hand and plausible deniability on the other.

I would present at the appropriate place, early, relaxed and looking forward to the chance to tell someone all about me for an hour and paid for by you. I would be pleasant, engaging and treat the time as a fireside chat as I spoke well of my other half, my friends, my job and my achievements. I talked about some of my interests, film in particular and would always ask the other person about their favourite films. They never refused me an answer. The first session was always a breeze as I fillybusted until the time had elapsed. I would continue to do this in each session and often they would allow me to talk and talk. They might try and steer the conversation onto something relevant to my behaviour and I would steer it back on to something else. The first counsellor I saw admitted after five sessions that there was nothing to discuss much to my delight and the girlfriend at the time’s dismay.

It became a challenge whenever the issue of help, therapy or treatment arose. I would go along and draw the positive fuel from the therapist and then draw negative fuel from whoever had insisted on me attending.

“Yes it is going well, we just have a chat really. It is all very amicable.”

“She clearly likes me as she always laughs at my jokes.”

“Did you know he supports the same football team as me? He even sits in the same stand.”

“I am not allowed to tell you about it.”

The last one is a favourite as the pseudo-confidentiality that I apply to the scenario frustrates and irritates you because after all, you need to know because you want to help and by not telling you anything on the basis of instruction from the therapist your bewilderment and frustration increases.

Where my opponent has pressed the issue and asked me and kept on asking me about the alleged behaviours that you have detailed to them beforehand I am always able to drive such doubt into the conversation that it dilutes any attempt to identify what I truly am. It is laughable. When I first ensnare you I do not show you my true colours so do you think that I would behave any different with someone who is trying to trap me and pin me down? Of course not. The catalogue of behaviour outside of normative engagements is fed back to me and I am able to deal with it all. I am an astute enough person to realise that a bare-faced denial will seem evasive and may alert my examiner. Instead, I explain away the perceived problem.

“Yes I admit I do sometimes lose my temper but who doesn’t? I work long hours and I do get a little irritable at times, I know I shouldn’t but I am only human aren’t I?”

“She is rather sensitive so she does tend to exaggerate. She had a bad time of it with her last boyfriend you see. I try and be supportive but it can be difficult because she sees so much in the same way as when she was with him. I don’t blame her it just becomes hard to deal with at times, I am sure you know what I mean, for example there was this one time…..”

“We have a passionate relationship so there are break-ups and make-ups. There is a lot of passionate energy between us and sometimes it does get a little out of hand, on both sides, but that’s the way we are. I recognise my part in this, that after all is why I am here and I would really appreciate it if you could help me to help her. What do you suggest?”

Events are watered down, instances diluted and happenings blurred. Plausible deniability is rolled out and allied with charm results in me walking away with another admirer to my collection and you bemused as to how I have seemingly got away with it again. You really ought not to (although I am pleased you do) get so upset by it since they really do have little chance to uncover what we truly are. What of Dr E and Dr O I hear you ask? Yes well it took two of them in a pincer movement and only because I had to yield to them but that war is still ongoing and there is much fuel to obtain yet.

22 thoughts on “The Joys of Therapy and the Narcissist

1. justbacon3 says:

<3 <3 <3 <3

2. Geminimom says:

HG,
    Is the one that is not smart the one helping you with your plan? And an empath?

If dr. E and dr. O are smart, they will use your cleverness and intelligence to become better.

One is, the other is not.

3. foolme1time says:

The one and only therapist I went to said the same thing! Never mind I was very young and frightened out of my mind at the time, so much so that I had to hide the fact I was even seeing a therapist! That ended the day I flushed the receipt down the toilet ( yes he went through the trash) and didn’t check to see if it went down. It didn’t and he found it! I never went back to any type of therapy again! It only made my situation much worse!

4. Christine says:

When my mother and her (I think Upper Lesser) Narc husband last went to couples therapy years ago, the therapist finally sussed out what her husband was. He then stormed out, never to darken a therapist’s door again. My doormat mother next found a therapist who prattles on about how anyone can change and you should stay with an abuser so long as you don’t think your life is in immediate danger because he could change and we must give everyone infinite chances.

5. Christopher Jackson says:

Understandable hg I’m sure you walked away with much fuel from those sessions. I wonder will they ever figure anything out as to what you are probably not if I had to guess

6. Caron says:

One is, the other is not.

7. Chihuahuamum says:

I think also there are some therapists that are narcissists themselves and arent aware. Some that have their own unresolved issues and those that are as you say mostly textbook trained and very little experience in dealing with npd. Those types could be easily fooled or in some cases fall into the narcs spell and become seduced by their charms.
    A therapist with experience and knowledge like weve acquired here would realise a client would be on their best behaviour and hide behind their mask. Theyd play the game and join in chit chat but eventually theyd start asking questions and some of those questions would trigger wounding. The narcissist would resist reacting especially a greater but eventually cracks would appear or the narcissist would start missing appointments and stop going altogether.
    This is where i think its imperative the therapist is specialized or has a good knowledge of npd.

Accurate.

1. J.G THE ONE says:

Hello, H.G.Tudor.
        So H.G. Tudor, what are you going for?
        You have intentions or perspectives to change into something within the possible.
        Because, to go for nothing is nonsense.
        Unless, you get fuel from them, their frustration, by not advancing.
        I think you like very much the narcissistic dance H.G. You are a great dancer, I’m sure of that.
        One, two, three, one step forward, Maria.
        One, two, three, one step back…
        He likes Rick Martin. This piece defines it quite well.

1. Kimberly says:

What if just raised learning narcissist behavior but no gene? Also you advocate when we know better we do better? Does that apply to you? You clearly help others? Consciously? Is it therapy? Money? Can unconscious such mid rangers learn other coping through consciousness find mechanisms by learning the why and feeling not their fault? Goodwill hunting? Find other healthy ways to cope? Have you never seen a survivor and thrive former nArc? Do you know of none?

1. No narcissist.
            2. I know better so I do better, my version of better is different to yours.
            3. I know I help others.
            4. No.
            5. There is no such thing as a former narcissist. Actually, there is, a dead one.

8. WhoCares says:

Haha – fabulous image choice.

1. Drupe Dread Frun says:

Who cares

1. WhoCares says:

Nice try Drupe Dread Frun.
        You missed the mark.

Someone got there sooner and much more effectively than you.

1. Drupe Dread Frun says:

Who cares

WhoCares
          They’ve just got the one line. Snore.

1. WhoCares says:

Haha NA – I thought to try a word association game but it’s a waste of blog space and I’m sure HG would shortly put a stop to it.

Be my guest. One word is hardly an issue!

3. WhoCares says:

Haha, you made me laugh HG.
            Generous of you. But I’ve taken up enough space on your blog ranting lately…so many other convos I’d rather be a part of.
            (Besides I highly doubt my opponent’s ability to come up with interesting words – I mean c’mon…who cares; ooh, original! And we all know that tuna is bland…bore, snore! Like NA says.)

3. Drupe Dread Frun says: