What Was Brian Laundrie?

58 thoughts on “What Was Brian Laundrie?

1. Alex the Authentic says:

Excellent analysis! With regards to Gabby Petito, I have an inkling about her school of empath based on her behaviors in the body cam footage and her familial upbringing. I’ve genuinely enjoyed this series. Looking forward to more videos.

1. A Victor says:

Same! I’m thinking CoD/Carrier primarily. It could be Standard/Carrier but I think Super is out of the question.

I am also hoping for more videos but wondering if, since he is dead, it would be anticlimactic for drawing viewers? Still, I am hopeful. There are many questions that are still unanswered.

1. Alex the Authentic says:

Exactly! She strikes me as a CoD as well and I definitely agree that Super is out of the question. Yeah I’m hoping for more videos too AV. I still would like to know if the Bearded Cop is a narcissist or if Gabby’s Petito’s father is a narcissist as well too.

1. A Victor says:

Yes! All of that and more! I forgot Geyser, I think some of that maybe too, esp if there is a lot of CoD. Thank you for sharing your thought about it!

1. A Victor says:

Thoughts**. Autocorrect strikes again.

2. Chihuahuamum says:

There are aspects of Brian that were lesser narc where he showed less control of his behaviors as in the incident at the restaurant when he freaked out at the waitress. Then there are times when he comes off more as a greater midrange in regards to his manipulative behavior around the officers when they were pulled over.
    He definitely is a midranger. He comes off as a mama’s boy and was never held accountable for his actions. I also think he may have had antisocial personality disorder. He didn’t have many friends and more or less road on Gabby’s social coattail. He was a loner and fit his persona to match up with hers, but resented her because he was nothing like the persona he tried to portray.
    I also wonder if he might’ve been a serial killer.

3. BC30 says:

This is exactly what was said at the beginning of the recent HG Interview. Narcissists are dangerous.

4. BC30 says:

Time a lesson with HG 🤓

5. WiserNow says:

What was Brian Laundrie?

Coming to a cinema near you … A modern-day American love story.

Two young lovers on a cross-country adventure driving to beautiful yet treacherous places, gazing at magnificent sunsets and camping under stars, alone against the world with only a van to call home.

Menacing thunder clouds await them as their passion turns to angst and then regret. Her dreams of stardom dashed by his dark and fateful rage. The tragic tale playing out in the 21st century’s version of the Roman colosseum – social media.

A tragic tale of doomed young love, punctuated by a police road-stop, restaurant conflict and swampland mystery. Today, worldwide speculation abounds about how the sad, sorry tale could have been averted. Alas, too late. . .

1. A Victor says:

But there wasn’t any love from half of the pair. 😥

1. WiserNow says:

I know AV, it’s not a love story at all. The words ‘love story’ should be changed to ‘narcissistic dynamic’. It’s sad.

When I wrote the comment above, I was thinking that it probably won’t be long before a Hollywood film is made about the case. It has received so much media attention, plus it has the elements of a cliched kind of Hollywood ‘love story’. There are probably film producers already fighting over the rights to make it.

I wondered how the subject of narcissism would be handled in a film. In a ‘popular’ Hollywood-style ‘blockbuster’ film, the case would likely be made into a kind of ‘tragic young love’ story-line. I don’t think the majority of the public understand or grasp what the dynamic in the relationship actually was.

1. A Victor says:

Wow, I hope Hollywood doesn’t do that, as a tragic love story anyway. I feel like either set of parents might be willing to sell it for the cash though. Yes, narcissistic dynamic is much more accurate. If made by Hollywood to show that, it could possibly be useful. But I doubt they would do it and if they did, unless they pulled HG in as an advisor, it likely wouldn’t be accurate anyway.

1. WiserNow says:

AV,

If Hollywood is going to make a film about it, I hope it’s taken seriously regarding the psychology behind the couple’s relationship, rather than just being for light entertainment.

Speaking of ‘blockbuster’ Hollywood films, I recently watched ‘I, Tonya’, about the life of figure skater Tonya Harding. It’s clear that Tonya’s mother was a narcissist and Tonya’s experiences in the figure skating world showed the narcissistic aspects of the sport. The film was made into a black comedy and depicted the characters in a mocking way, as though they were pathetic, trashy morons. I didn’t like the film and thought the ‘comedy’ aspect of it was overdone. It didn’t provide thought-provoking insights or give the audience a more balanced view as HG does here with his entertaining AND educational approach. I can see why the film was made that way though – to appeal to a general audience as light ‘entertainment’ without focusing on narcissism. Also, the crime against Nancy Kerrigan was a horrible and stupid thing to do, so the film probably wanted to reinforce that aspect too.

When it comes to Gabby and Brian’s parents selling the story for the cash, I can see Gabby Petito’s father doing that. He has already been on Dr Phil. Also, at the press conference where all four parents answered questions after Gabby Petito’s body was found, her father kept stressing the importance of journalists continuing to ask questions to ‘shine a light’ on things like the relationship and the abuse his daughter had suffered. His statements seemed plausible enough if you saw him as a ‘concerned father’, however, he also seemed to relish being at the centre of the drama and having the media attention.

2. A Victor says:

Yes, Gabby’s dad is an interesting person. I think he may have had a lot to do with why she accepted the abuse she did from Brian. It is ironic that he now is speaking of that treatment of her in such terms.

I think Hollywood knows that people like to view narcissism from a distance, it can’t possibly be in their own life, or that of someone they love. I think many empaths are in denial and narcissist’s wouldn’t consider that they are one so it may even bore them. So seeing people in a story, on a screen, is preferable to having it presented as a common problem in our world, that “it will never happen to me” thinking. It is too bad since, as we know, it is much more prevalent than people realize and they would do well to learn about it and take it seriously. Probably at some point or another, almost all people are affected by one somehow.

3. WiserNow says:

AV,

When it comes to Gabby’s father, I agree. His personality and actions made me question him early on, that is, how he influenced Gabby’s mindset.

About your comment regarding Hollywood, I think Hollywood-style films are the essence of ‘magical thinking’. They generally stick to a formula and have happy, safe or predictable endings etc. They’re about presenting a slick or ideal image and marketed to sell at the box office rather than presenting ‘reality’. It’s the same with instagram and similar social media blogs too, like the one Gabby created.

Hollywood sells false narratives and people buy into them. It’s also about who can make a film that’s bigger and better and pushes the envelope to create more hype to draw attention. An audience wants to be entertained and people generally want to suspend reality for two hours and be drawn in by what they see. They want to associate with the ‘hero’ and with ‘success’.

I agree narcissism is much more prevalent than people realise and that people in general believe “it will never happen to me”. It’s easier to judge while believing your own actions are ‘justified’ and reasonable. Like you say, it’s denial. I believe it’s unconscious denial in many people. People in general, whether they’re narcissists, empaths or normals, act on instinct and personal beliefs without questioning their instincts and beliefs until the ‘reality’ makes this too difficult or they receive insight in some way.

Thanks for your comment AV. It’s a pleasure to discuss these aspects more thoroughly with you 🙂

6. WhoCares says:

I realized my earlier comment may have been a bit of a spoiler for the outcome. In my excitement over feeling as though I’ve found a missing piece of the puzzle in this analysis – I didn’t think. HG, please delete my earlier comment if that’s the case.

7. Red T says:

Hello HG Tudor,
    So is The Ultra one, yourself, just lone one or
    Is there a woman Ultra too?
    Does she also have a YT channel that you know of?
    Thanks for doing all this work.

There is only one Ultra,

8. Duchessbea says:

A total full of himself, controlling bastard. Scumbag and Coward.
    Gabby Petito deserved so much better. Rest in Peace Gabby.

1. WiserNow says:

Duchessbea,

On the face of it, yes, he was a controlling coward. He committed a horrible crime. Had he remained alive, he would deserve to be sentenced to prison.

Knowing what we know about narcissism, hateful labels don’t tell the whole story though. Vilification doesn’t assist greater understanding or insight.

Brian Laundrie was a narcissist. He had the genetic predisposition and the lack of control environment. His mother could be a narcissist too. I’m speculating here, going by photos I have seen of Brian’s parents. Considering the things known about Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie, it’s apparent that Gabby was empathic and self-blaming while Brian was entitled and manipulative. I’d speculate that he was his mother’s golden child.

From the facts of the case, there were opportunities for Brian to muster the courage to face up to what he did, however, this was unlikely since narcissists blame-shift and feel no remorse or accountability. However, his parents could have taken a responsible approach and talked him into turning himself in and confessing. After he killed Gabby and drove back to his parents’ house, at that point in time, there was a possible ‘fork in the road’ where he could have (with his parents guidance) spoken to police and admitted what had happened. At 23 and still living at home, he was young and immature and may have gone home expecting to get some kind of advice from his parents.

To my mind, parents who truly care about their child would not want him to be a fugitive or hiding out alone in dangerous wilderness. There is a point at which they must have known these options were going to end up with him facing even worse consequences.

The way I see the whole thing now is that the ‘van-life’ the couple were leading was beyond their capabilities – in terms of their skills, preparedness and psychological resilience. Also, the social media aspect of it created a further stressor too. The social media image of people filming themselves in ideal situations having a perfect relationship and looking polished and happy each day belongs in glossy magazines. It’s not realistic. I think the two of them were too young and inexperienced to really understand the stress their lifestyle was causing to them.

This doesn’t excuse Brian Laundrie’s behaviour. He still committed a horrible crime and was ultimately responsible. I’m seeing it with a wider lens than just focusing simply on his decisions in isolation.

1. WiserNow says:

On second thoughts Duchessbea,

After writing my comment, I thought about the consequences for Brian Laundrie if he had given himself up to police and ended up in prison. He would probably be the young and shall we say, ‘delicate’ one in a cell with other prisoners with names like Mad-Dog Murphy and Johnno the Psycho Killer. Even if he was in solitary confinement, his health would be at risk, everyone knows him and he’d be hated all over the world.

Maybe hiding out with alligators and snakes was his preferred ‘courageous’ option.

Whichever way you look at it, he destroyed both of their lives.

1. Duchessbea says:

Wisernow,
          I agree with you, in what you have said in both comments.
          Best,
          DB

9. WhoCares says:

Excellent! I so enjoyed this breakdown. Thank-you HG for going into such detail regarding what essentially explains the fine dividing line between LMRN and Upper Lessers. I feel like I have received the final piece of a puzzle I have been staring at for too long!

1. A Victor says:

Hi WC, your comment is interesting to me. I have results from 4 NDC’s, all different and as such a fantastic learning tool. Having results from each of these categories, I would have said the UL’s and LMR are vastly different, the LMR seeming more like the LL or ML to me. But what caught my attention was how the cadre does or does not affect it as much. The UL that I consulted about was Somatic, the LM, Victim. And yet, even with that, Laundrie is so similar to my LM that it’s shocking. He also struck me as similar to my MMR, also a Somatic. It may be helping me to understand how the cadres “lay over” the schools to make the specific narcissist. Possibly like the school runs things, the cadre being how it uses the narcissism almost? Something like that is formulating in my head, whether correct or not. Anyway, thank you for your comment, it was thought provoking.

1. WhoCares says:

AV,

“I would have said the UL’s and LMR are vastly different, the LMR seeming more like the LL or ML to me.”

I have a friend who’s ex is an UL type B and my ex is LMR. So, I find comparing and contrasting very educational and the Brian Laundrie analysis is particularly informative. I find your comment interesting AV because that would suggest more physically violent behaviour in a LMRN? (If they’re similar to LL or ML?) My LMRN, in nearly a decade, was only physically violent to me once – and it involved grabbing my wrist in effort to stop me going to work. He had been violent towards objects or property but only 2-3 times. So, even the level of Brian Laundrie’s violence is interesting to me, but I understand that some LMRNs are more violent than others.

1. A Victor says:

Yes, my mother was very violent with us kids, even the choking was present. I truly believe she hated us. She was mild as a mouse when my dad was home, it was her big secret. I think it depends on the degree.of middle to the degree of lesser in the combo.

1. WhoCares says:

AV,
            “Yes, my mother was very violent with us kids, even the choking was present.”
            I am so sorry to hear this.
            Personally, I would have a hard time staying even ANC with my mother, if this were my experience.

2. A Victor says:

I do have a hard time with it. I consider moving very often.

3. Leigh says:

WhoCares, the beauty of writing something is that we have the chance to think about it before we say it. My first reactions to this comment was, “how incredibly insensitive and if you knew AV’s story, you wouldn’t have said that.”
            I also thought, “Well lucky you that you don’t have to deal with that” These thoughts in my head aren’t very nice either. I probably should keep my mouth shut and not post them either. I stopped. I thought about it. Then decided to post anyway. This comment feels like you’re being judgenental and I had to defend AV’s comment. AV was just trying to explain why she thought LMRs were different from ULs by using a piece of her life as an example and you hit her below the belt. If AV chooses to stay ANC, that’s her decision.

AV, I apologize if I’ve crossed a boundary.

4. A Victor says:

Leigh, thank you for voicing your thoughts, I did not take offense as I thought WC was either encouraging me to move, or she was just expressing how it would be for her. And also the possibility that I had offended her by thinking the two schools were different, I had not yet come to understand their similarities. I have come to understand it since then I think, and in part because WC had brought it to my attention with her initial comment.

You have not crossed a boundary, you have expressed how a comment made you feel, that is fine in my opinion, how else are we to understand each other better? I actually feel honored, it has been very rare in my life for someone to defend me. No apology needed.

5. WhoCares says:

Hello Leigh,

I am glad you posted your comment. I was not judging AV’s choice either way – to stay ANC or go NC. So, I appreciate you pointing out that my comment may have come across as judgmental.

I completely understand the feelings and motives around the choice to stay involved in a parental narcissist’s life – especially if they are aging or suffering an illness. Quite a while ago now, I had originally intended (and consulted with HG on it) to go ANC with my own mother, before ‘ANC’ was a thing. But I just couldn’t do it. I refused to subject myself to that.

You’re right. I don’t know AV’s story in it’s entirety. I only know bits and pieces. I think both you and AV started posting in the comments, roughly, around a time when I wasn’t able to follow along closely here. And I still don’t currently have the availability to come visit frequently and stay up to date.

I only shared my input on what would influence my own decision to stay or go. And in both my mother’s case and my ex’s, violence was the deal breaker. When the first violent incident in both situations occured, I was simply done.
            And you’re also correct, I consider myself fortunate that I didn’t have the element of physical abuse in my childhood. It was strictly emotional and psychological abuse. My mother had a violent outburst directed one time only, when I was adult. My ex never physical assaulted me – except to grab my wrist one day as I was leaving for work. He did however exhibit physical violence towards objects and property in my presence (and our son’s) – but only rarely during nearly a decade.

Essentially, I made that statement because if it made an impression on AV in a way that allowed her to feel free to even consider the thought: “Right, I don’t have to stay involved if I so choose so. I am not obligated to stay with and support an adult who freely abused me as a child” – then it was worth making the statement (even if it came across as judgmental, which wasn’t the intention.)

6. Leigh says:

WhoCares, thank you for your response. I am also an ACON. Both of my parents are narcissists. I do understand the need to draw the line. My mother was never physical but was neglectful. I often went to bed hungry. I barely speak to her now. She was recently in the hospital and I refused to go see her. I have no interest in seeing her. I understand how important it is to go no contact.

AV’s situation is different. She sold her home to come and live with her parents in order to take care of her father. She was told that her parents home would eventually be given to her. She gave up her home and security and it was all done before she knew her parents were narcissists. I probably shouldn’t speak for her but my guess is she would be probably be like us and go no contact if her circumstances were different.

With all of that said, sometimes my savior trait gets the best of me. Thank you for your understanding.

One other thing, there’s probably a piece of me that took it personally because I’m still in ensnarement with my narc husband. Thank you again for clarifying.

7. WhoCares says:

Leigh,

I am sorry to know that you grew up with two narcissist parents. I had the benefit of one empathic parent and can only imagine a household where both parents are abusive.

” I often went to bed hungry.”
            This is one of the things that causes me much pain to contemplate. Control through food. Especially children. At a time when the body absolutely needs those building blocks…and imagining them dealing with hunger pangs in addition to everything else…

“She sold her home to come and live with her parents in order to take care of her father. She was told that her parents home would eventually be given to her. She gave up her home and security and it was all done before she knew her parents were narcissists”

I absolutely understand the fear of losing one’s home as a consequence of leaving the narcissist. Following my escape I lived in a studio, a women’s shelter twice, a friend’s home – and during the attempt to seek an independent apartment, I lost 3 apartments during the “application” stage.
            I should add that while still in the formal relationship, we had already lost our “home” and were living in cabin.

I am very, very grateful to have had the apartment I have now (with my son) for two years.

“One other thing, there’s probably a piece of me that took it personally because I’m still in ensnarement with my narc husband.”

Completely understandable.
            Not long after I arrived here I lashed out at another commenter for essentially saying someone else was “stupid” for having let a narcissist cause her to lose her home and job. I know a lot of that was due to the shame and anger I felt at myself for the things that I gave up or lost due to my ensnarement.

8. WhoCares says:

Addendum: with my last comment, Leigh, I wasn’t implying that I felt that you had lashed out. You were quite nice about it actually.

*Sorry if this is a repeat post. WordPress has gone wonky again.

9. WhoCares says:

Sorry – to clarify, ‘ANC’ was always a thing – it just hadn’t been given a label as such, back when I consulted about it (and wasn’t formally detailed as an option for dealing with a parental narcissist.)

10. Joa says:

Your willingness to defend AV is touching 🙂 But there is nothing negative about WhoCares’s sincere statement 🙂

AV is a great person whether she lives under the same roof with her mother or without her.

There are different situations in life and there can be many factors + difficulty in rejecting unequivocally. The most important thing is for AV to keep an internal distance to both mom and herself.

11. WhoCares says:

Joa,

“Leigh, I think WhoCares was about being amazed that AV lives with her mother after all this and that she, in her place, wouldn’t be able to do that.”

This is pretty accurate too.

Additionally, as I responded to Leigh earlier, I did consider an option similar to AV’s arrangement with her mother. But I weighed it all out: I had a young child, I was still severely damaged from my relationship from ex, I was self-representing in my court case – (I even considered allowing her to rage at me over the phone because of the guilt I felt) but I realized I needed everything I had to give to protecting my child. If I had remained in contact with her, I would have continued in a downwards spiral.

12. Leigh says:

WhoCares, I’m so sorry. I’m so used to being in defense mode and thats exactly what I did with you. Its no excuse. I didn’t give you the same understanding that I expected you to give AV. I truly do apologize.

13. A Victor says:

I could not, and would not, have done this when my kids were young. In fact, after my ex left, my dad once asked about us moving in together, I said there wasn’t a house big enough for me to live with my mom. He never mentioned it again. But then, because of him, it happened anyway. But my kids were much older by then, only one was still under 18. You need to protect your resources, as a single parent especially.

14. A Victor says:

Thank you for your kind words Joa. Also for your wise ones about me keeping internal distance from my mother. That is a great way to put it.

2. A Victor says:

WC, since recent videos HG has made I see much more the similarity you were referring to, it makes sense now. Thank you!

2. Leigh says:

AV, I think I remember Mr. Tudor once saying that the cadres is about preference. How the narcissist prefers to ensnare victims. Cerebral prefers using the brain, somatic uses the body, victim uses being a victim and elite uses brain and body.

1. A Victor says:

Oh yes, you’re correct, thank you!

2. A Victor says:

Thank you for this reminder, I had forgotten this.

10. lickemtomorrow says:

Yay … I got a trumpet blast on this 🙂

I knew he was a mid ranger, partly due to his facade – lower makes sense since it was intermittent and his displays of fury were obvious – but also because he was a coward.

If anything stands out to me about the mid rangers, that’s it. They’re cowards. They’re the passive aggressive nightmares who hide behind other people, just like Brian hid behind his parent’s and his lawyer. What could be more passive than not talking and more aggressive at the same time?

Nothing compares to your ability to break these narcissists down into specific categories, HG.

I always thought there was no need for me to discover my most recent narc’s school and cadre. I knew he was a narc and that was enough. Since being fortunate enough to have won one of your raffle prizes, which was the the Narc Detector Consult, I can now see the value of these. I couldn’t understand why I was hit so hard by that last encounter, but it turned out there was more to my narcissist than meets the eye. I had him pegged as a mid ranger, but not upper or elite.

Also interesting that the choking or throttling is more likely associated with a mid range narcissist.

Learn something new here every day.

1. Leigh says:

Hi LET, I was reading your comment on another thread about choking and it brought back a horrible memory that I had forgotten. I don’t even remember how it happened. We were in bed and my narc husband managed to get the blanket across my throat. I couldn’t say anything. I tried but couldn’t say anything. He eventually pulled the blanket off of me. He said he saw the look on my face and realized something was wrong.

Mr. Tudor, what causes them to halt the choking? They are obviously getting potent fuel from us in that moment so is it the threatened loss of the primary source that stops them?

Control has been obtained and fuel received, therefore no need to continue with it.

1. Leigh says:

Of course. Thank you

2. WhoCares says:

Leigh,

“We were in bed and my narc husband managed to get the blanket across my throat. I couldn’t say anything. I tried but couldn’t say anything. He eventually pulled the blanket off of me. He said he saw the look on my face and realized something was wrong.”

That’s so very scary and disturbing.
        I am glad you asked that question of HG.

During the one violent altercation that occured with my mother, she had me pinned against the sliding mirrored hall closet doors of her condo. She was using so much force that I could feel the glass bowing behind my back. I closed my eyes because I knew that at any second the mirrored glass could shatter.
        I always thought she stopped at that moment because she realized that we both might get seriously injured.

But maybe she had just felt that control had been obtained etc…
        At least it gave me a second to get out the door and escape down the condo hallway.

3. Joa says:

Leigh, something awful!!!

The first Narcissus jerked me sometimes and strangled me once. After 7 years of relationship. This event became the biggest nail in the coffin of this relationship, which fell apart after 11 years (I could not part with his wonderful, warm, empathetic family right away). I hid traces of this stewing for almost 2 weeks (I have very delicate skin, bruises immediately appear).

To this day, no one around him knows about it. I couldn’t hurt them, I preferred them to blame me. Lovely people. His mother was like my mother to me… His brothers, like my brothers… His grandmother, like my grandmother… They were very important to me. Parting with them was one of the most difficult decisions I made. But I couldn’t stand him anymore, he started to disgust me. The more I needed space, the more he forced. He couldn’t breathe me. Although for 7 years we have been so close…

However, I must admit that he is an amazing charismatic man. Loved by crowds. My sister and most of my friends remember him fondly.

But no one knows what clouds have obscured our wonderful inner microworld.

11. Fiddleress says:

Great prize, thank you, but I want the cigar too!

12. A Victor says:

Yes! That’s the one I thought! I never did find the poll? Anyway, great video, thank you again for doing these HG!

1. WhoCares says:

AV – I stumbled upon the poll accidentally – in the “Community” section of HG’s Ultra YT channel.
      I had guessed/voted LMRN too – just like my ex.

1. A Victor says:

Oh! That’s where it was! I never heard about it until I think it was already closed. But, I had guessed here already anyway, so I’m counting that! Yes, I remember you had also. I wasn’t 100% certain so confirmation was good. I wanted to somehow let the YT listeners know that what HG said in the “reveal” was in large part what you get when you purchase a NDC from him, laid out in the same fashion. But, I didn’t see a way to really do that, I really hate commenting there.

2. A Victor says:

Hi WC, hey, I wanted to thank you for our conversations about Wuthering Heights and the other various audio books. As a result, I have tried listening and been really happily surprised at the outcome. Sometimes, I can listen as I do mindless work of some sort but sometimes I have to really focus and what I have found is that getting the book out/purchasing it if I don’t own it, has been so good, it’s gotten me back into reading! I left reading when I had kids but it was a favorite pastime from my childhood and teen years. Now that they’re grown, I have time again! I am most thankful to you for those “talks”! They were encouraging!

13. Asp Emp says:

That was very interesting, HG. Applying the behaviours of narcissists and explaining how the cadres and the schools are identified using your system.

I think you also described muvver to a T.

She could not always maintain the ‘calm’ facade in public yet applied the ‘victim’ “explanation” to anyone within ear-shot. Even to my grandmother (who I suspect “believed” otherwise).

She also needed to “quieten” the ‘beast’ with alcohol. Even after a heavy drinking sesh, she still needed to unleash her fury – acted it out physically. She picked on anything as an “excuse”. She never smashed anything inanimate. Maybe she hit my father, I never saw anything, nothing indicated that. He did not fear her at all.

Thank you for this video, HG. Much appreciated 🙂

14. MB says:

Brilliant HG! I enjoy the true crime analyses more than the MM ones although I accept their necessity. The Chris Watts series was superb as well for those that haven’t availed themselves of that material.

Thank you MB.