The Music of “At Tudor Towers”

There are those of you who have access to the intriguing video series At Tudor Towers which gives you a never been seen before glimpse into the personal world of HG Tudor. Accompanying this have been a series of scintillating scores which have been roundly praised by those who have listened.

Now you can enjoy the beautiful and haunting soundscape created to accompany the intriguing “At Tudor Towers” Series of videos. Savour the music of this series separately and take yourself to a myriad of different places, carried by the soothing and inspiring melodies.

Obtain here

68 thoughts on “The Music of “At Tudor Towers”

1. Gypsy Heart says:

Very moving pieces. The composition comes together beautifully. The piano always adds depth and beauty to music. I am always drawn to piano as well as acoustic guitar. As much as I enjoy music that has been recorded in the sound studio with all the bells and whistles, I will at times find myself drawn to my favourite artists and relish listening to them sitting with just the piano or an acoustic guitar and vocals. There is something raw about the simpicity of this. It leads me through my imagination of the artist in the creative state and intensifies my emotions. A true masterpiece can stand alone in this sense. Even when I hear the piano or acoustic guitar in the finished compositon they are the heart notes that completely envelope me and amplify my emotions.

Do you play the piano HG?

I do.

1. Contagious says:

Joe Jackson, A Slow Song

2. Contagious says:

I knew it lol! Only a maestro could. Btw loved the “ hot air” comment. But there is ice.

1. Contagious says:

The fires of the Ultra are a mirror. It is ice cold precision your intellect.

2. Truthseeker6157 says:

I resisted buying this for some reason. Not entirely sure why. It felt a bit personal in a way. It shouldn’t because it’s there, to be purchased by anyone who wants to do so. Not sure, can’t put my finger on it exactly.

There is one song that stands out to me. The one that begins 26mins 37 secs in. I wonder if it has a name of its own. Did you give this a name HG?

1. WhoCares says:

TS,

That’s a particularly beautiful piece.

My favourite is at 36:15. The last piano piece.

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

Who Cares,

I listened to your favourite, I really like that one too. The piano pieces towards the end are beautiful.

That particular piece I mentioned had a very different effect than the rest of the album. The rest of the album I listened to. I drifted along with it, can appreciate some pieces were fantasy or fairytale like, some relaxing etc. That one piece though drew me in. I moved in to the music rather than simply listening to the music.

If I was in a house and someone was playing that, I’d have no option but to stop and listen. I found it brought out a very specific emotion, that’s why I requested the name.

Xx

1. WhoCares says:

TS,

“If I was in a house and someone was playing that, I’d have no option but to stop and listen.”

Agreed.

2. lickemtomorrow says:

TS, I can’t believe I hadn’t seen this post before today, but I’m curious about what you have said. Do you feel it’s personal to HG, and is it because the music has been attached to videos of HG’s ‘hideout’? Or do you feel it’s personal in that if affects you personally and you prefer not to be affected by the music and its connection to HG?

I’m also curious how you know about a song that begins nearly 27 mins in if you haven’t purchased it. I feel like I’m missing something, and I’m obviously missing this purchase so shall apply HG’s latest discount accordingly 🙂

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

Hey LET 🙂

Ha, I see what you mean. I resisted buying this until yesterday. I then bought and listened, the track that starts 26.37 leapt out at me. I think it’s far more emotional than the others, for me it is.

In terms of the buying resistance. It felt a bit like my view of Facebook. To me looking at someone’s Facebook or Instagram is like looking in someone’s window at night with the lights on. I’m curious to see, but I can’t look. For Facebook or Instagram I would have to know the person extremely well, even then I don’t like it. It’s irrelevant to me that the individual sets the profile to what they want you to see. It’s not to do with them. It’s to do with me, what I do, how I look at their privacy.

Playlists are personal. Music is personal. To share a song requires trust on my part. I have selectively shared songs here on the blog but I wouldn’t share a playlist, too personal. Did that once, never again.

I think it’s a mixture of things.

Xx

1. Gypsy Heart says:

Yes Truthseeker,

I view social media in much the same way that you do. I will sometimes look at someones Facebook profile, especially if they have recently sent a friend request, but will not search for other avenues such as Pandora, or YouTube to see what they are listening to or watching. I find that very personal. I invited a close friend to view my playlists recently and had to open my app for this person to view. I was going through something very emotional at the brink of my breakdown. I use music to touch and release my innermost feelings and my playlists evolve and take on a life of their own.

Well, I soon realized that the coworkers in my area had been trolling me by the comments that were made and the music that they had added to their playlists at work. I felt extremely violated; emotionally raped, if you will. Hence, breakdown at work, peeling out of the parking lot at break that morning, and car wreck on the way home. Luckily the only fatality was the sign post for the offramp in my hasty exit. This was about a month ago and I have taken a temporary leave of absence and have not returned to work since that day.

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

Ohhh Gypsy,

That’s such a horrible thing for your coworkers to do. Not funny, at all. To some, music is just music, but to me and by the sounds of it to you, it isn’t just music at all. It’s thoughts, feelings, how I felt then, how I feel now, memories, places, people, losses. It’s my ability to sink when I need to and fight when I have to. It’s personal, it belongs to me, it’s my emotional code.

It isn’t just a bunch of songs.

I totally totally understand your reaction, it’s a full privacy breach. My skin would literally crawl, I see why you compare it to a rape because it feels like such a violation. It is a violation, to us at least.

You bolted. I have a tendency to do that too haha! Here one minute, gone the next, preferably without explanation. Decide, go, done. I think in that case you bolted because you felt so trapped and exposed. You poor thing tearing off the car park and having an accident in your haste to get away. I get it, I do. My skin is crawling for you!

I wouldn’t go back. Fuck it, it’s just a job, get another one and screw them. Sometimes I can brass neck it, draw in, stick it out. I wouldn’t bother there, not worth it.

I built a joint playlist with the narc. Even during silent treatments, he would add to the list, I’d add back and the songs became the conversation. Not the lyrics but the emotions contained within the songs. At least that’s what it was from my side. He had a knack for selecting songs, unusual songs, songs that provoked a reaction. He did well considering he is emotionally disabled. Hats off to him, cheers from the adoring crowd. Now the playlist is closed, frozen in time, a reminder of someone who tried but who ultimately, failed.

To understand privacy, there needs first to be empathy. You don’t have one without the other, I guard my privacy fiercely and I guard the privacy of others even if they don’t care about it. Yours was badly violated, I feel heart sorry for you there Gypsy.

Thank you for your comment, it’s lovely to find someone who understands.

Xx

2. Gypsy Heart says:

Truthseeker,

Thank you for your caring comment. I’m sorry I am just now getting back to you. Yes I use music in much the same way. My playlists all seem to focus on hurt, anger and disappointment to help me get through difficult relationships and situations. Hearing about the playlist that you shared with your exnarc described as frozen in time stirred a haunting emotion in me as if it belongs floating over a wild, desolate overcast moor somewhere like the setting for the Hound of the Baskervilles. What is left of the ghost of a relationship past. I also have one frozen in time that is many years ago now from the guy who “rescued me” from my marriage, with many of the songs included that he used to play for me along with my own. It was very difficult to get over him at the time and he is the reason that I discovered HG. I don’t feel anything for him now and rarely give him a second thought.

I’m going to have to step away from narcsite for a while because my CPTSD trigger threshold is quite low, making my emotional regulation difficult. You were one of the first to reach out to me when I was struggling and I wanted you to know how much that meant to me.

I seem to have offended another commentor with a joke I made. At first I decided to let it go, but then another commentor seemed to appreciate it and this person in my opinion responded disrespectfully toward another commentor so I replied back equally disrespectfully. I tend to get my ruff up and stand up for the underdog, the weak, the black sheep, or anyone that I might perceive as being bullied. However the other commenter seemed quite capable of standing up for herself. I did go back and apologize once my emotional thinking was under control. I hope she sees it.

We shared a conversation on The Virtues of keeping your mouth shut one time about a young man that worked on the same line as me and had triangated me with someone. I was convinced I was a narcissist and you assured me I wasn’t. It took me sometime to even do the detector because I was afraid I might be. I found out that I could do the empath detector and still find out if I was a narcissist. I finally took it and found out that I wasn’t a narcissist.

Ironically the young man on my line that I was angry with refers to me as his pitbull. There is another guy in the same position as me at the head of the line on another line and we are competitive and like to razz each other in good fun. We were both washing our hands outside the bathrooms, laughing at each other and having some spirited trash talk going on and the young man came up and said hey don’t get “my pitbull” all riled up. Hmmm…..another red flag there. Anyway, I won’t be going out with him again. But at least I know I’m not the narcissist between the two of us.

Thank you Truthseeker for the support you’ve given me.

3. Truthseeker6157 says:

Hello Gypsy,

I’m so sorry I only just saw this now. I wondered about you and came looking to see if you had found my message. I can’t be the only one not getting notifications!

I’m so glad you felt supported by my comments. Others here supported me when I arrived and have continued to do so through the trials and tribulations of daily life and through my further narc discoveries. I’m glad I have been able to do the same for you.

I still maintain that whilst communication through the blog is very freeing because it offers anonymity, it does also leave open the possibility of our words being misinterpreted at times. Readers can’t hear a tone of voice or read facial expressions and on occasion this can give rise to an escalation that in real life likely wouldn’t occur. Sometimes we can take things a little bit to heart and sometimes it’s a case of ‘line crossed’. Either way, there is plenty of room on the blog for everyone who wants to be here. That would be my view on it anyway 🙂

I have enjoyed your company, so I hope that you feel comfortable returning to the blog very soon to share your thoughts. When ET is high, there is no place better to be than here. We’ve all been stuck in the fog that is ET, we know how unpleasant it feels, and sometimes sharing thoughts here can help lift it a little.

I think you are right about the guy at work. Steer clear. A pet name is a red flag but a pet name in work signifies a lack of boundary recognition plus objectification plus ownership with the “My bulldog”. That would be enough for me to fire that guy off haha! I’m not big on second chances these days, I wonder why that might be? Haha!

I hope you see this. If you do, don’t be a stranger Gypsy, I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Xx

2. lickemtomorrow says:

TS, thank for your reply <3

I wondered if there was a kind of 'voyeuristic' element in what you said, and it seems that would be more to do with the images HG shares along with the music. I'm curious, so I don't let it bother me and enjoy the extra 'titillation', but I'm not so curious at to join other various options for more of the same. It's actually fucking annoying sometimes to get nothing but glimpses! I'm saving myself frustration. Either give me the whole steak or forget it 😛 I can't spend my life salivating waiting for the meal to appear. If I knew the entree was leading to something more substantial, but …

Anyway, back to the music. I have it now and can concur with the same song which you highlighted being a highlight for me also. The first thing I thought of when I heard it was "The Hunger Games" … yep!
          It reminds me of a part of the score from the movie, but not sure where it comes in.

I didn't look your timeline up until I had listened to the whole thing and that was while I was taking a break and trying not to focus on anything except the back of my eyelids!

Anyway, I do wonder if that is HG playing the piano in all these pieces, or where or how this music was created. Is it the same as sending ideas off to the graphic designer? Is HG really the composer?

I have to admit, the first one is still my favourite with the Edward Scissorhands type music, and I think that's partly because it has a choral element as well. I just find it very uplifting and engaging.

I see what you mean about sharing a song, TS, and how personal that is to you. I am the same. You won't catch me listening to something that doesn't carry a level of meaning for me and is also an expression of who I am or how I feel. It takes trust to let others into those places, I think. Certainly when it is meaningful for you xox

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

LET,

Oh you did make me laugh there. I know what you mean, glimpses can be frustrating. It’s funny, I’m ok with the pictures, I don’t see a house as being as personal as music. I have no idea where that location is. I know It’s not local to me though!

I can’t say whether I think HG has created or curated the album. Either way, he has had to think about it as that album is designed specifically for the empath in my opinion.

It’s so interesting that you listened the whole way through and went to the same piece of music. That made me smile. We are very similar in terms of our emotional landscape. That song creates an emotional rather than a physical frisson. It’s an immediate dip down, an instant melancholy. I know exactly what emotion it creates but I’ll keep that to myself. It’s precisely the same feeling each time I listen.

Interestingly I have stumbled across a research paper discussing how frisson might be used to stimulate an emotional response in psychopaths. The music obviously stimulating the parts of the brain connected to emotion. Given how we both report our very similar responses to certain pieces of music, I have to admit, I see where that research is going and there might be some force in the hypothesis. The thinking does seem to be along the lines of the psychopath having the emotions but either not having access to them or failing to recognise them. The psychopath shows physical responses to the musical pieces reported to induce frisson in the ‘normal’ group. One marker was increased heart rate. I tested that bit haha! My heart rate increased from 67 to exactly 80bpm whilst listening. I didn’t move, stayed still in the same position throughout. I repeated with the same result. So again, that might hold some truth. The new piece I used is Requiem for a Dream by Jennifer Thomas. I know you’ll have a listen haha x.

Yes, we listen in a very similar way for the similar reasons, primarily, to feel something. The only difference I think is that I don’t really do uplift. I do dip down or rev up! I think your favourite track reminds me a little of Polar Express. (I love that film.)It definitely has a magical / fantasy element to it. There’s a lot of escapism involved in this album, it has an other worldly feel in some parts.

It does take trust to let others into those places. It’s a shame that many people wouldn’t even understand the significance of that. Privacy is becoming a thing of the past I think.

Xx

2. lickemtomorrow says:

TS, that place looks like a million other places in some ways in tranquil country settings, but if you were living in the desert or heart of the city you’d probably know it wasn’t close by 😉 I’d find it hard to pinpoint as it’s obviously out of the way. No doubt that’s the way HG likes it or he wouldn’t be showing it otherwise.

I agree that song we both like creates a melancholy landscape and also one that creates in me a sense of going towards something or searching. If I was to name this piece, I would call it “Searching” … and it may well fit with both our penchants for truthseeking. It goes perfectly with your moniker, and the image HG uses for the piece also fits in nicely, showing a path leading to an unknown place. It’s the path we’re on <3 xox

3. Truthseeker6157 says:

Ahh, no, you didn’t give the song a name.

3. Rebecca says:

Steve, There’s a female singer who is deaf….elephants from zoos that paint and their paintings go for lots of money,but yet they don’t have hands.. things are possible to do without all the equipment….simple facts of the way life is…. Wasn’t Mozart deaf??? He went on to create beautiful music, did he not??

4. Rebecca says:

HG,
    I know there is a certain mid range I wouldn’t mind hearing screaming, but I know I don’t really mean it….it’s just the idea is appealing for a few seconds before I really imagine it and know I couldn’t go through with it.

5. Rebecca says:

HG,
    You’d really like it when I get upset. I get mad, cuss and cry altogether and my Geyser part is strong. You’d have the full range with me. 😆 Must be why I get hoovered often.

6. WiserNow says:

This is a beautiful album of music. The compositions sound very accomplished and the piano playing is flawless. Is there anything at all you can’t do HG?

Have emotional empathy. Feel sadness. Feel happiness. Tolerate James Corden. Of course those are all strengths.

1. WhoCares says:

Pahaha!

2. Rebecca says:

HG,
        I envy you for not feeling fear and sadness. I wish I could say that and that it would be true…

It’s great bring me.

1. Rebecca says:

Yes, I can see that. It would be great if I could get rid of sadness. Fear, I’m working on…

2. WiserNow says:

Rebecca,
          You may envy HG, however, HG is a rarity among narcissists. HG is very aware and has a very high level of cognitive empathy. Those two aspects mean he can restrain his narcissistic traits and can ‘learn’ how to mimic empathic behaviours and do it consistently.

Without fear and sadness though, the vast majority of narcissists are more like hard-edged knuckle-draggers or wall-nut balled selfish cry-babies or haughty types who say, “I’ll blow up a continent because I didn’t get my childhood needs met”.

I can understand why fear and sadness are uncomfortable, but not having them and also not having knowledge or restraint would create hell on earth.

1. WiserNow says:

*walnut-balled not wall-nut balled

2. Rebecca says:

WiserNow,
            I’m highly emotional and music is my first love, it helps me control my emotions and it also can cause my emotions to flare up and get out of control. I’ve learned to control them and I’m working on controlling my fear responses because I don’t like fear dictating my life. For too long fear ruled over me, now I’m taking its power away as much as possible. I think that’s a good thing, who wants to live in fear? Not me, it’s all about balance. Finding it and keeping it.

3. WiserNow says:

Rebecca,
            It is a good thing to have balance and not be ruled by fear or sadness, I agree with you on that. Finding the balance is important. The awareness of when an emotion is taking over or understanding why an emotion is rising up in the first place is part of the goal to find the balance.

When you said you envy HG for not feeling sadness or fear, the way I interpreted that was that you envied him for not feeling those emotions at all. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

I enjoy music too and music has a unique effect on my emotions as well. Lately, I’m finding that classical music and music without lyrics has a more positive effect. When I hear lyrics, I get too focused on the words and the ‘story’ and that means my ‘cognitive attention’ is on the lyrics more than the music. The music alone has a more ‘stabilising’ effect.

I once read that listening to music or learning a musical instrument activates both hemispheres of the brain. Since then, new findings have shown that the brain doesn’t actually have ‘hemispheres’ or a ‘left brain’ and ‘right brain’ way of working. The activity in the brain when doing any task flows from many different parts and isn’t isolated to one half or the other. There are ‘bridges’ across both halves.

With music, I think it has a ‘logical’ component as well as an ’emotional’ component and when listening, the brain hears both simultaneously. I’m speculating, but I think it may activate different parts of the brain to work in unison.

Music also has a deep effect on memories too. It can make patients with dementia, for example, relax and remember things from their past.

3. Viol. says:

You know, I can’t feel sadness or happiness when I watch James Corden. I don’t even feel revulsion. Nothing, except mild bewilderment that people get something out of him, even if it’s only something negative.

Is that anything like being a narc, HG?

2. WiserNow says:

Viol.
          Whenever I’ve watched him (which is not often), I didn’t think he was funny. I felt irritation more than anything. I also felt a rising feeling of contempt too, because I asked myself, out of all the people who are much funnier, more witty and likeable, how did he end up as the host of a popular talk-show? While watching him, I was thinking, this guy must have some good connections.

Also, when the whole ‘carpool karaoke’ skit was new and getting positive attention, I didn’t find it entertaining or spontaneously funny. I watched the one with Rod Stewart and Rod looked like he’d rather be taking his own eye out with a teaspoon.

Rod made an effort and at one point he burst out singing one of his classics and it made me think, poor Rod, he’s stuck in that van with a buffoon and he needs to make it look like he’s having a great time.

1. Rebecca says:

WiserNow,

I agree with you, I think music has a way of activating parts of the brain to work together and I also get more positive reactions from music without lyrics. I’m like you in the sense that lyrics distract me from fully enjoying the music, but ultimately the music sets the mood for me. I’ve heard of music being used to reach people with difficulty with speech and communication. I know music helped me cope with abuse when I was a child. I was in choir throughout my school years. I always found it to be an escape,along with reading, from my every day life and it’s less than pleasant realities.

I envy HG’S lack of fear and sadness because I experience them so deeply and for the longest time they were emotions that would overwhelm me and I envy HG for not having to deal with those emotions. I had to learn to balance them in life and sometimes they still get away from me, though not as often now. I hope that clears up things for you. 😁❤

2. WiserNow says:

Rebecca,
            Yes, that does clear things up. Thank you for that.

It sounds to me like it’s a case of how much or how little emotions like fear and sadness affect ‘logical’ thinking, or perhaps ‘cognitive thinking’. That feeling of being overwhelmed by emotion can be unpleasant – in particular when it comes to fear or sadness. Too much of those emotions can lead to a kind of shut-down or melt-down. On the other hand, I find that positive emotions, like being outside on a lovely sunny day, or listening to beautiful music, or accomplishing something successfully give me a heightened emotional response too.

I can relate to a lot of what you say about music and reading. I enjoy reading and I find it enriching in many ways. I also enjoy listening to music.

Those similarities make me wonder if you are highly sensitive as in a HSP? If so, knowing about HSP helps to understand yourself and your reactions to different things.

3. Rebecca says:

WiserNow,

What is HSP? I know my mother would call me overly sensitive, but that was her way of controlling me.

4. WiserNow says:

Rebecca,
            HSP stands for Highly Sensitive Person. It’s also called Sensory Processing Sensitivity. It is described as a particular kind of innate personality trait.

It involves having a heightened emotional response to certain things and more intense emotional or aesthetic reactions than average. It means certain things make you feel overstimulated faster – things like loud noises, bright lights, strong smells, crowded places, being around lots of people, being busy with many things to do, or being rushed for time. There is a dislike of violence or conflict. It also gives you greater empathy regarding other people’s emotions and moods. There is also a preference or need for solitude or quiet time to get back to normal if you have been in an overstimulating environment or social situation.

The concept of the ‘Highly Sensitive Person’ arose in 1991 by Dr Elaine Aron, who has written several books on the subject.

Ever since I was a child, people told me I’m ‘too sensitive’ too. If I commented or objected to something, for example, they thought I should ignore it or toughen up. On the other hand, if I mentioned how to do something more efficiently or chose to buy certain things or came up with an idea or plan, they’d say I had insight, or a ‘good eye’ for quality etc. It works both ways.

If you are aware that you have this trait or tendency, it can help you understand why you may feel overwhelmed or sad or fearful. Then you can make choices based on that and that can help you avoid certain situations or environments.

5. Rebecca says:

WiserNow,

I looked up HSP and I believe you’re right about me. I’m overwhelmed by crowds, bright light and some movies I can’t watch like Hostel and Casino because of scenes in the movie that involve torture and killing loved ones in front of people, I just can’t take it. The scenes in American Psycho were too much too, especially the one where he kills the homeless guy and his dog. I care deeply for friends and develop strong attachments to them and same goes for family and spouse. I know more than just my mother have called me overly sensitive and emotional.

HG, my HSP maybe why I came up Geyser on my Empath detector, makes sense.

Thanks WiserNow for giving me more insight into myself and here I thought I was just an odd one. Now I can say, this is why I’m so sensitive, care so deeply, feel so deeply, react so strongly and I’m not odd or screwed up. 🙃and HG, you were right, not surprising there, I’m not screwed up. Thanks for that too, HG. Xx

6. WiserNow says:

You’re welcome Rebecca. I’ve just seen your comment now, after I wrote a longer one about HSPs. I’m glad you found the information and you are right, you’re not an odd one or screwed up 🙂 😉

Once you know, you can appreciate the good things about being sensitive. Also, once you start feeling like things are becoming ‘too much’, you can stop and take a few deep breaths or change what you’re doing etc.

7. Rebecca says:

WiserNow,

I really appreciate you sharing the info about HSP, the more I read about it, the more it sounds like me. I can’t stand to be rushed, it causes panic in me and I feel overwhelmed and it makes my ET fly to the ceiling! I always thought I reacted like that because I was a wimp, or as my mother would say, you can’t handle any stress, you’re a wimp. I thought there was some strength lacking in me that others had, so I felt less than and pathetic compared to others. I didn’t like feeling that way, I didn’t like being called a wimp. Because I felt that way about myself, I had little faith in myself to handle new stresses and new things. Fear of how I would react to the stress, kept me from stepping out and doing new things. I don’t have that issue now, I’ve learned to accept my fear as just another emotion and do what I’m afraid to do anyway. I’ve tackled my fear of public speeches, I can talk on loud speakers without issues now, I sang in public with a karaoke machine before, climbed mountains, petted a tiger, been on jet skis, been on boats, gone to Europe by myself and countless of other things that overwhelmed me,but did them anyway and you know what? They were fun to do! And I’ve done them again, or will do again and again…..being determined and doing it anyway, forcing myself, and now I know why I had to in the first place. How did I not know this before? Thank you so much WiserNow! I’m really happy to know this about myself! So much makes sense now. Thank you! 😊xoxo

HG, this explains why on the empath detector that I came up a strong Geyser, as one of three hybrids I am. Why I’m highly emotional and feel overwhelmed and over stimulated when I experience stress. I’m not a wimp after all. That’s so liberating and satisfying! I’m so grateful for finding your work and your blog. There’s so much knowledge here. I learn something new about myself, narcissism, narcissist, empaths etc. This is a seriously enriching place to find knowledge about a range of helpful subjects. I get amazed often on what I find out here. I love to learn, it makes life worth living. Thank you so much! Xxxx

8. WiserNow says:

Thank you Rebecca! ..and you are very welcome.
            That’s such a lovely and kind comment – Thank you for saying all of that. I’m happy I could help.

It does feel liberating and freeing to learn something about yourself that helps to make sense of things that have been overwhelming or stressful. I totally understand that. Knowledge and awareness is so powerful.

Like you, I used to feel there was something wrong with me because I felt stressed or a rising sense of anxiety at times when other people seemed calm and oblivious in the same situation. There were times people close to me would say things like, “just get over it” or “deal with it” or “hurry up!”, and that would make me feel even more anxious or stressed. I thought there must be something they know or do that I’m missing. For a long time, I was sure I needed to improve and ‘learn’ how to be less sensitive. It’s a relief knowing there is an actual reason that makes perfect sense and that other people have similar traits.

This blog is certainly a great place to learn about yourself and others. There is certainly a lot of helpful information and people here. I love to learn too and each new thing I learn makes me even more curious to learn more.

I’m glad you found your way here Rebecca and that discovering things about yourself has made you feel better 🙂 xx

9. Gypsy Heart says:

Wiser Now, and Rebecca,

I also tested off the charts on the HSP test. I have always had to ask myself if I was overreacting or taking something too personally.

The other day I was on dm with my best friend (long distance, modern day pen pal whom I’ve never met) and discussing my sensitivity issues. He said we are going to have to toughen you up. Hahahaha

10. WiserNow says:

Gypsy Heart,
            That’s funny. It’s good when you know about your own issues and can have a laugh about them with someone 🙂

It’s funny though – other people may not be sensitive in the same way, but they can be hypersensitive to criticism or other things. Sometimes you can just look at someone in a particular way and they look back as if they’re saying, “what are you staring at?” Try telling a narcissist they should toughen up or do this or that and then stand back and watch how sensitive they can be haha

4. WiserNow says:

Statistically speaking, you and I have 25% of those items in common HG.

When it comes to calling them ‘strengths’, it depends on the context and the situation. They can be both weaknesses and strengths. The existence or non-existence of them has evolved over thousands of years, so they are necessary and valuable to survival in some sense.

…all except for having James Corden (asshole) as a renowned comedian hosting a talk-show. Evolution has since corrected that little evolutionary blip though.

1. Viol. says:

After much thought, I remembered thinking that Corden’s interpretation of the Baker in Into the Woods (at least in Act I) was less putzy and more honorable than usual. I thought it was an interesting choice, but he didn’t do much with it, particularly in Act 2, where cutting out the Mysterious Man and “No More” seriously affected his character arc. The edited script wouldn’t be his fault (unless he demanded it, as Tom Cruise did with Rock of Ages).

However, if the problem is he just didn’t want to play a flawed character instead of a heroic one (everyone in the show is traumatized in some way–that’s the point), then it is his fault.

Of course the real issue may be that he just can’t sing in character.

1. WiserNow says:

Viol. (your new name makes me chuckle, by the way),
            I haven’t seen Corden in ‘Into the Woods’. I’m not very familiar with his acting, apart from knowing he had a role in ‘Cats’. I’ll have to find out more on YouTube about ‘Into the Woods’ – it sounds interesting.

2. WhoCares says:

WiserNow,

“I’ll have to find out more on YouTube about ‘Into the Woods’ – it sounds interesting.”

I am actually not one for musicals, but I have seen this one and Johnny Depp does an amazing wolf.

3. WiserNow says:

WhoCares,
            It sounds like a great story. I’ve looked it up and it has quite a few well-known actors in the cast.

I’ll have to watch it. Thank you for recommending it 😉

4. Viol. says:

I’d been wanting to change it for a while. I’ve used it too much for other things like LARPing, re-enactments, etc., and I’d like to be able to refer people here without their being able to pick up who it is quite so easily. Never dreamed I’d post so much, when I stumbled onto this site!

That’s a Viola da Gamba in the Gravatar–precursor to the cello.

5. WiserNow says:

I was wondering what or who your Gravatar picture represented. Do you play the Viol?

I never dreamed I’d learn so much when I stumbled onto this site – regarding narcissism as well as many other things. Now I know what differentiates a Viol from a cello.

6. Viol. says:

WiserNow:

I don’t play the viola. I had piano and guitar lessons growing up, but haven’t played either in years. If there’s room in my new apt. for the piano my brother has been storing or I can find my guitar in the storage locker with all thr junk crammed in there, I will start again.

7. Viol. says:

WiserNow and WhoCares:

For comparison’s sake, you may want to get ahold of the original cast version on “American Playhouse.” There are songs and scenes that didn’t make it into the movie. What happens in an Act II scene with the narrator is priceless.

7. WhoCares says:

HG – what a treat! The piano pieces are particularly beautiful. Thank-you for sharing this with us.

1. WiserNow says:

It really is WhoCares. I’ve been listening to the album on repeat today and I’m in awe. All of the pieces are wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Bravo HG! Sending you a big round of applause.

1. WhoCares says:

Yes, we agree on that WiserNow!

2. WhoCares says:

WiserNow,

We agree on this.

8. Sweetest Perfection says:

The intro composition with the falling leaves is my favorite one. I want to cry of so much sublimity. Oh, why do you do this to our ET???

9. Pingback: The Music of “At Tudor Towers” - Dark Triad Personality
  10. Sweetest Perfection says:

This music makes me feel so much, so much! I want it to be the soundtrack of my life. I want to go places imagining I’m Galadriel floating through this polychromatic portal you just opened to us. I wanna tame a lion. I wanna ride a unicorn. This is absolutely magical.

1. Rebecca says:

SP,
      It makes me feel like I’m drifting on the sea and just letting all my worries and fears float away from me and out to sea….love that feeling of just letting go…beautiful music HG.

1. Sweetest Perfection says:

It makes me cry out of pure bliss.

1. Rebecca says:

SP,
          Piano music is my favorite sound of music.

A sobbing empath is my favourite kind of music, closely followed by a screaming Mid Range Narcissist being slowly flayed.

2. Sweetest Perfection says:

I don’t have a favorite sound, Rebecca. To me, it all changes depending on the material of the instrument, the notes, the type of instrument, the vibration … I noticed most of the compositions in this selection are very “cold” and mostly blue and white, but not the first one. The first one feels like cool air running through autumn trees and I absolutely love that feeling. The piano ones look like icicles.

3. Steve says:

How can someone make beautiful music if they can’t feel the uplift ..surely that’s like a blind person painting a picture? I prefer the sound of a lower lesser being punched in the mouth tbh

4. Sweetest Perfection says:

Oh come on, Steve! Beethoven was deaf…