A Glimpse of the Future

A-GLIMPSE-OF-THE-FUTURE-2

It is well known that our kind operate by the wearing of masks. We have learned how to portray those emotions which we do not feel. We have ascertained that in certain situations we are expected to respond in a particular way. We know that by donning a particular mask we are more likely to charm and seduce you. We are aware that maintaining a certain mask the vicious malevolence that lurks beneath can be kept in check so that we achieve acceptability and the advancement of our agendas. There are occasions when we will give you a glimpse of what lies beneath this mask.

I am not referring to when we whip the mask off and subject you to devaluation. That is a purposeful and intended act on our part. I am not making reference to when the mask fractures as a consequence of the ignition of our fury and the lesser and mid-range of our kind are unable to keep the mask in place so that the ignited fury erupts and the malicious beast is unleashed.

There are occasions however when we provide you with a fleeting glance beneath the mask as to what lies beneath. This will happen during the seduction period. Sometimes it is as a consequence of the effect of a particular agent, such as alcohol. Sometimes, especially with the greater of our kind, it is done as deliberate act in order to gauge your reaction. In such an instance, we tell you of what lies ahead to see if you baulk at the suggestion, or that more likely you respond in a sympathetic manner of even by way of denial.

“I couldn’t ever imagine you doing that.”

“That won’t happen with me though. It might have with other people but I will treat you better than they have.”

“You’re not like that, don’t be silly.”

“I don’t see you doing something like that, you are too nice.”

If you respond in such terms when you have been given such a warning, then this is a green light to us that we have you under our control and that you will accord with our desires and machinations. It also allows us, when we do eventually behave in the manner described down the line during the devaluation, to throw it back in your face by saying.

“I did warn you.”

“Why are you complaining? I was upfront that this would happen.”

“I told you so.”

“It’s no use crying about it now. I told you what I was like.”

“I told you and you chose to stay with me. It is your fault.”

Not only does this enable us to avoid blame, something we must achieve, it will also result in you reacting and providing us with fuel.

With the lesser or mid-range of our kind, these comments are more akin to thinking aloud. The mask does slip, unintentionally for a moment, through the explanation of a future behaviour before it is realised what has been said and the disclosure is brushed to one side, denied or passed off as a silly comment owing to drink or being tired. Why do these comments arise in such a manner from the lesser and mid-range of our kind? Is it guilt or remorse? No, because those emotions are not felt by our kind. It arises from a lack of control. The “bad” behaviour that will arise at some point is lurking beneath the surface and like a cat fighting to get out of a sack, it is always wanting to make an appearance but is prevented from doing so by the maintenance of the mask that is worn. Occasionally, through the loss of control – it may be drink, it may be fatigue, it may be through inattention – what lurks beneath makes a brief and fleeting appearance before the control is exerted once again. Here are fifteen portentous show and tells of our kind. Should you ever hear these comments you ought to pay heed to the warning that you are being given.

1. I am a bad person really.
  2. I will only hurt you.
  3. You should stay away from me.
  4. I do bad things. I cannot help it. I always do.
  5. I will make you wish you had never met me.
  6. It will go wrong, it always does.
  7. You will end up hating me.
  8. You don’t know what you are getting into with me.
  9. You shouldn’t do this.
  10. You should leave while you can.
  11. This is going to turn out badly.
  12. I have to hurt people.
  13. I don’t want to hurt you, but I will.
  14. I just want to fit in.
  15. I’m not what you think I am.

29 thoughts on “A Glimpse of the Future

1. Emma286 says:

Would you ever consider sharing a video on YouTube speaking as you would without a mask?

All my videos on Youtube are of me speaking without a mask.

1. Emma286 says:

But if you are as you describe (one of the nastiest most dangerous human types to exist) how come you sound so normal if you’re not using one?

So far I’ve not picked up on anything unpleasant about how your voice sounds (I’m quite sensitive to picking up on nastiness/aggression in people’s voices in offline life).
        In some videos, it’s even hit me that your voice sounds nice. A malignant narc is very far from being any kind of nice person!

You are demonstrating a misunderstanding about narcissism.

1. You will not identify a narcissist from the voice alone.
          2. You seem to expect a narcissist to sound as if they are playing the villain in a pantomime.
          3. The skill of the higher echelon narcissist is to draw people to him or her. My voice is a weapon and that achieves that. My voice is not normal, rather it is superior and is oft-complimented. If I sounded like a growling demon not only would that be ridiculous but it would also act contrary to achieving The Prime Aims.
          4. I am conveying information to listeners, therefore why one earth would I be speaking in a nasty or aggressive manner? Again, that would be self-defeating.
          5. I am entirely capable of speaking with a vicious tone when it is necessary. However, in making videos where I am broadcasting information the most appropriate way of doing so is to use a clear, stentorian broadcasting delivery.
          6. What on earth has a mask got to do with how I am speaking? Do you think I am some kind or Reverse Bane, so that by wearing a mask my ordinarily demonic, rumbling and growling is finessed into a pleasant voice?

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

He’s behind you!

( oh no he isn’t)

2. Asp Emp says:

“growling demon” LOL. A mask can prevent the eloquent delivery of speech (reminds me of a cartoon joke about a dog & owner on Fakebook). I can’t attach it, unfortunately.

Exactly, but the suggestion seems to be that a mask works in reverse that I can only speak in an aggressive manner and this magical mask somehow converts my demonic rumblings into the seductive, stentorian voice you have all heard.

4. Asp Emp says:

(sniggering) “demonic rumblings” now. Stentorian voice – hmm, this reminds me of a rather strange, possibly coincidental encounter (likened to a ‘second sphere’ of influence) that I had a few weeks back – I’d never seen them before – someone saying ‘Hello’ rather loudly. I’m assuming it was towards me – there was only 2 people and 2 dogs…… I wasn’t worried, just curious. And, yes, it was one of those moments in my life where it’s an unexplained phenomenon.

2. Alexissmith2016 says:

Emma,
          There are some Ns who speak with An aggressive tone. There are those who are outwardly aggressive to many people, your typical workplace bully. There are those who to the trained ear forcebly speak in a soft tone and you can pick up on the fact that they’ve learned to do this so they conceal their anger which is constantly bubbling under the surface. Surprisingly many people do not pick up on this?

There are many, many others, most Ns in fact who speak very normally, sound very comfortable in their own skin, they can come across as genuinely caring. Some never become aggressive (my sister is an example of this) but for others, their bite is rarely displayed, very few get to experience this, but trust me they are the ones who bark and bite the hardest.

1. Renarde says:

Hey Alexis

I like this post!

I can confirm your points. I’ve seen many examples of how Narcs respond generally. Some extremely agressive. Others passive. Some whiny and others just odd.

A good question is asked, ‘Why do others’ not see it?’

Most of the time we do not see what it’s really like beyond closed doors. Take my father for example. He certainly has ‘two voices’.

I always know that when other people are present, his voice of ‘reasonableness’ comes out. Geuine chap, they would probably think. However because I know him so well, his voice actually rises by a few tones in pitch and becomes somewhat ‘airy’ in nature. It’s hard to describe in words.

A lesser I knew (whilst I was still in Tinsel Week), actually swore at me down the phone when asked a reasonable question.

The vast majority, no idea on stats but weaponised Empaths must fall into less that 0.001% of the total of society. Probably even less, perhaps into 1/1000000. Who bloody knows? That’s why no one can see it. The ultimate ‘hoodwink’. Society itself.

I certainly believe unaware narcs can spot their own kind. They cannot know precisely but they know something is ‘off’ about that person.

3. A Victor says:

The narcissist I was involved with had a very pleasant voice. Except once. That time it was terrifying.

1. Emma286 says:

A mask drop?

2. lickemtomorrow says:

Haha HG 😛

2. Eternity says:

Emma286, why do you think HG has a mask on when be speaks. I never got the vibe. He has an amazing clear radio broadcasters voice.

2. Connie says:

“You’re not seeing me at my best.” “I don’t know what you’re doing with me.” Were these my glimpses into the future?

Pity Plays.

1. Connie says:

Oh wow. I am such a sap. Thank you so much, HG. Your articles and comments have become invaluable in strengthening my no contact resolve and certainty that I could not salvage the relationship.

You are most welcome.

2. Truthseeker6157 says:

Hello Connie.

No, you are not a sap, you are just honest, and like many of us here, you assume that people close to you, people you bring in, are honest like you. Honesty is an honourable quality and one all narcs use to their advantage. The trick now is to read, and understand more about how the narcissist functions. You could not have known then. You do now, or at least you will. Not a sap Connie, just honest. Keep reading, keep questioning. I haven’t seen you before, so welcome to the blog!

1. Connie says:

Thank you, Truthseeker. I am new to this site – had no idea NPD even existed. Just thought a narcissist was someone who fancied himself too much. I spent months googling questions about my ex’s inexplicable behavior – was lead to articles giving relationship advice. You know – “10 Ways to Reconnect With Your Partner.” And I tried the various suggestions, not knowing I was dealing with someone who had a disorder, not knowing about wiring issues. Thankfully I stumbled upon behavioral science sites and cluster B disorders. My “aha” moment. I’m not crazy, I can’t fix this. Relief, but a huge gut punch at the same time – I have spent close to 3 yrs. in a relationship with someone who has a mental disorder. The thought still brings me a feeling of nausea. And then I discovered Quora and HG. Validation and knowledge and support from people whose stories could have been written by me. And such insight from HG – I replay every odd, hurtful remark and behavior and can understand why he said or did it. TO ALL WHO READ THIS – I so appreciate your being willing to open yourselves on this forum. I come here when tempted to text “How are you?” I’m just over 2 months of no contact, implemented as per HG’s directions. I am getting better about not beating myself up (How could I be so stupid – such a doormat?) because of your willingness to share your experiences and reading/re-reading HG’s posts. BLESSINGS AND THANK YOU!♥️

2. Truthseeker6157 says:

Connie,

I found my way here using a similar route. Luckily my route detoured the relationship gurus though. What a waste of space those pages really are! In fact, worse, they are damaging in that the suggestion is, ‘Stick at it and all will be well.’ No actually, all will be well when we get out of there!

I agree, people sharing their stories and interpretation of HG’s information is key in understanding what happened, how we ended up in the situations we did but most importantly in realising that we were not at fault. We could never have helped, fixed or healed them. It was ok to walk away.

I am grateful every day for the willingness of the readers here to be so very open about their stories and their thoughts. For me, the bond that forms because of that, the understanding and the support is irreplaceable. I’m glad you will get to experience that too Connie.

Welcome Connie

Such a kind entrance. Your persistent in searching has lead you to the right place.

3. Asp Emp says:

Interesting to read RE: the dropping of the mask indicating a loss of control – however fleeting before ‘control’ is regained. It didn’t happen often and he put it down to “stress” (possibly some truth in that – stress at controlling the narcissism at ‘bay’).

1. Truthseeker6157 says:

Hey Asp,

I got this too. He said ‘You will leave in the end.”
      He got his ‘green light’ in my response, “That’s just not true.”

I didn’t even ask why he said it. I feel an Elaine Paige Barbara Dickson line coming on! ‘Looking back, I should have played it differently.’

It’s actually quite a good one when you think about it. Glimpse into the future whilst administering a pity play. Multi tasker!

4. December Infinity says:

Good to know.

5. OutinTime says:

Are any of these more prevalent with specific schools and/or cadres? Thank you

Not to any marked degree, although the manner and why it happens will differ between schools.

6. Connie says:

HG – could these comments be considered warnings? I heard them often. He was working only part time and caring for his mom, who was in a nursing home. I took them as referring to those life circumstances and felt sympathy, empathy for him.

“You’re not seeing me at my best.”
    “I don’t know what you’re doing with me.”

Pity Plays, Connie.

The Death Bed Narcissist : Lower Lesser

I Love You (And I Always Have)